cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What format do i need for 360 panoramas?

AppaloosaHorse
Explorer
 I've been making 360 panoramas in second life which turn out fine but in 360 Photos it appear as cubes rather than as 360 panoramas. What application do I need to make them compatible with Oculus 360 photos?  I've been taking them using CtrlAlt Viewer and D3DGear's 360 photo capture.  
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Yeah, i believe, and hope that Sansar will pick up soon.

So it looks like a cubemap and the order is incorrect - you would be able to chop the image up and move them around to the correct order - i don't know why or how it has happened but that seems to be the issue.

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

View solution in original post

I need to check Sansar out again - i tried it a while ago and all you could do was look at other peoples' "little worlds" like you say - hopefully it will grow into something like SL eventually.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hi, somebody asked this the other week - i downloaded his image and it worked fine for me:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/61185/how-to-view-360-photos-on-oculus-rift

AppaloosaHorse
Explorer
 I had been able to see them before with Virtual Desktop and they were glorious, some change might have occurred causing them to appear as cubes in Virtual Desktop's viewer.  I decided to try Oculus 360 Photo but see the same thing occurs.  https://imgur.com/a/NWkX7 is one of several I've done so far.

I'll investigate the 'equirectagular' images format and perhaps figure this out.  If I take a photo and drop it into https://www.360toolkit.co/preview-panorama-viewer.html the images seem flawless.  The D3DGear 360 photo capture is fun to use, suddenly your camera spins which is surprising but not unpleasant as it darkens for a moment.

Thanks for the attempt to answer this, I'll do some further research since seeing the images and preserving the experience for others is my objective.  Second Life in the rift will be relegated to history as there are no further updates or any interest in a rift viewer for SL and http://ctrlaltstudio.com/viewer , according to it's programmer, will stop.

Yeah, i believe, and hope that Sansar will pick up soon.

So it looks like a cubemap and the order is incorrect - you would be able to chop the image up and move them around to the correct order - i don't know why or how it has happened but that seems to be the issue.

Ok i'm no expert at this but i don't believe it can be made into a cubemap due to there not being a specific section for sky and ground.  Using pano2vr (great app) i can get 4 walls all lining up (more or less) but then of course there are 2 sections above and below which are wrong.

AppaloosaHorse
Explorer
 I've been researching. The pano2vr app does allow one to make the cubemap so further exploration of that is in order.  On a notion, I decided to get Whirligig and it displays the photos fine in barrel mode, they are fabulous but I still don't see why they have stopped working in Virtual Desktop and as yes I have been unable to get them to work in Oculus 360 Photos. It would be nice to view them there and I'll continue to investigate.  The format used is directly output from D3DGear.

I found a cool exhibit in Sansar today and will go back and get some video of it with D3DGear but I'm not happy with Sansar as it does not cater to my virtual worlds needs being closed and smallish 'experiences' and being locked into one of their avatars. I saw their Egyptian experience there but a few displays in Second Life beats it easily and are MASSIVE builds.   I prefer the open world of Second Life where I can travel an easy 25 km without obstacles or the staggering loading speeds of Sansar to delay me.  
  Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

I need to check Sansar out again - i tried it a while ago and all you could do was look at other peoples' "little worlds" like you say - hopefully it will grow into something like SL eventually.