New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Cant Reach Oculus Runtime Services

1789101113»

Comments

• SnorreSelmerSnorreSelmer Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    No cause for alarm, here's the patch to make your Oculus Rift work again: https://www.oculus.com/rift-patch/
  • ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 109
    Art3mis
    I cannot believe how "spoilt brattish" some members of the community have been!!

Saying they are going to return their headsets because they can't play a game is pathetic.  (1st World problems!)
    We are all using "bleeding edge" technology here.  There will be hiccups along the way, that goes hand in hand with the territory.

Yes, they could have reported the error in more timely manner, but lets not forget HQ is over in California, so GMT-8
    Got to give them time to investigate and realise the issue and report back.

It's not the "end of the world" if you can't play games for a day.!
    I appreciate that there will have been some people genuinely impacted on a more personal level, ie developers, unable to test new code, or medical/therapeutic applications will have been affected, but again, this is bleeding edge, and we had methods or working prior to VR.

This was always going to be fixed, and it would only take 24-48 hours max.

A lot of people need to take stock and realise that this will happen, and does happen at various stages of IT development.

Just had to vent my 2cents!

Now all get downloading and get back into VR! :-)
    Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |
    240GB SATA III SSD | 3TB HDD | 867Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 10,773 Power Poster
    Zenbane said:
    A re-install to fix the current issue should preserve the Library, settings, etc.

I can't see another way for them to get our Clients to see the new update. Unless there is an initial check happening during launch that can be sent a message that will bypass the issue.
    I went to my Oculus folder last night (before I knew this whole thing was happening) and ran my OculusSetup.exe and clicked "Repair" I believe it re-downloaded the setup files and re-installed everything and left the library in tact. would this be similar to what you are suggesting?

You were right, btw! The Repair option is what they ended up doing. Bravo!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • janostanekjanostanek Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    No cause for alarm, here's the patch to make your Oculus Rift work again: https://www.oculus.com/rift-patch/  
    people were crazy about it: D was not serious. Thanks for the link. At least people could go to nature and not just sit at the PC: D
  • EdKunjaEdKunja Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited March 8
    Hallo,
    Now I have the "Oculus requires a CPU with SSE 4.2 support" message.
    Waiting for a good man make another patch. 

EDIT: Running the old setup.exe(patched) works fine.
  • BluecheezBluecheez Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I have to admit since I have change the time of my PC for the quick fix yesterday, now Oculus client recognize the headset with the wrong time and region formating under the tab ''settings'' ''general''. At the same time email sync seems to be offset as well... 
  • quisutdeusquisutdeus Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I am dealing with millennial snowflakes every day in my work too - and since most likely oculus devs recruit them self's from that part of society I can assure you, nobody will be held responsible nor anyone will see a problem here: "well we all do mistakes". When you see drunk school bus driver - "we all do mistakes" - when a surgery cuts out brain instead of kidney - "we all do mistakes".

Yes we are dealing here with the same level of completely unacceptable level of mistake. I am a developer too myself and I understand the complexity of modern software, but there is a red line which nobody should cross.

Now, can anybody point a place where oculus is doing an official statement on this?

And to all those saying "you can live without VR for a day" - yes, of course you can! But this is not where the problem is.
    edited March 8
    I am dealing with millennial snowflakes every day in my work too - and since most likely oculus devs recruit them self's from that part of society I can assure you, nobody will be held responsible nor anyone will see a problem here: "well we all do mistakes". When you see drunk school bus driver - "we all do mistakes" - when a surgery cuts out brain instead of kidney - "we all do mistakes".

Yes we are dealing here with the same level of completely unacceptable level of mistake. I am a developer too myself and I understand the complexity of modern software, but there is a red line which nobody should cross.

Now, can anybody point a place where oculus is doing an official statement on this?

And to all those saying "you can live without VR for a day" - yes, of course you can! But this is not where the problem is.

You criticize the "millennial" mindset of 'we all do mistakes' and then you follow up by portraying the more problematic attitude of the "millennial," which is: Entitlement.

There are definitely multiple official statements on everything. Those of us who are not Entitled Millennials are able to locate those statements rather easily; as opposed to feeling entitled to have others do the work for us.

I'm a senior software developer, and the red line that can't be crossed has nothing to do with an entertainment service being offline for 12 hours.
  • stevelee123stevelee123 Posts: 70
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited March 8
    deleted
    (within next 7 days)
  • Pic0oPic0o Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Thank you for resolving this. Especially the inquisitive community members. I am able to run the oculus program, without having to set my clock back now. We can get all crazy angry with the pitchforks and torches or just be happy it's working again. Let's consider this one a learning experience for everyone.
  • motenaicomicsmotenaicomics Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Ran the Oculus patch, but I'm still not able to get the Oculus software working or my headset working.  I've tried uninstalling and re-installing multiple times, but haven't had any luck at all.  Has anyone encountered this?  Thanks in advance!

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 4,884 Volunteer Moderator
    Ran the Oculus patch, but I'm still not able to get the Oculus software working or my headset working.  I've tried uninstalling and re-installing multiple times, but haven't had any luck at all.  Has anyone encountered this?  Thanks in advance!

Can you perform a log gather?

Open a File Explorer window and paste this in the URL field:
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Oculus\
    Then look for "OculusSetup.log" and upload it to your post. Please do *not* just copy/paste the text into the post area, as this becomes difficult to read. This folder may be hidden. Make sure you go into the Folder Options and choose Show Hidden Files and Folders first.

If you are having any other sort of problem after the installation, do the following.

Run "OculusLogGatherer.exe" by double-clicking the icon after navigating to this folder:
    C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics
    and upload the zip file to your post.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • motenaicomicsmotenaicomics Posts: 3
    NerveGear

Can you perform a log gather?

Open a File Explorer window and paste this in the URL field:
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Oculus\
    Then look for "OculusSetup.log" and upload it to your post. Please do *not* just copy/paste the text into the post area, as this becomes difficult to read. This folder may be hidden. Make sure you go into the Folder Options and choose Show Hidden Files and Folders first.

If you are having any other sort of problem after the installation, do the following.

Run "OculusLogGatherer.exe" by double-clicking the icon after navigating to this folder:
    C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics
    and upload the zip file to your post.

Attached is the OculusSetup.log and the zip file from the OculusLogGatherer.  Thx!
  • Coryinthehouse45Coryinthehouse45 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    same here can't play gorn :(
  • VR2018GAMEVR2018GAME Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I had the same issue any fix?
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 4,884 Volunteer Moderator
    You probably have something running that is interfering with the setup

Please ensure you are running the leanest version of windows possible
    Close down all non-essential applications you have such as:

Any GPU tweaking utils such as MSI afterburner
    Any motherboard utilities such as AI suite
    Any encryption utilities 
    Any SSD Utilities like Samsun Magic
    Antivirus, Antimalware
    Java updater if you have one
    Any CPU Utilities
    Any RGB peripheral utilities

Basically running as clean a windows session as possible.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • MithrandirMithrandir Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    This proves my theory; VR is not taking off. The number$ just aren't there. I predict now it's OVER.
    NerveGear
    This proves my theory; VR is not taking off. The number$ just aren't there. I predict now it's OVER.
    No one has even posted here in 2 days. Wow!
    NerveGear
    Fake Product!
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 908
    3Jane
    This outage bring us some new humorist blood around here, that's good ;)

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 151
    Art3mis
    edited March 12
    ^^You should have seen the steam VR forums, it was a celebration of pure joy and happiness for some because rift users could not use their vr headsets, just one big massive congratulatory mutual back slapping party for almost 12 hours, and i assume some had even came over from there to stir the pot, sad and scary at the same time. lol

OmegaM4N said:
    ^^You should have seen the steam VR forums, it was a celebration of pure joy and happiness for some because rift users could not use their vr headsets, just one big massive congratulatory mutual back slapping party for almost 12 hours, and i assume some had even came over from there to stir the pot, sad and scary at the same time. lol

I've always said that the best use of a Vive is to wear it while watching what Rift users are doing.
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 908
    3Jane
    The Vive is far superior as it can pay you nearly 2 rifts if you sell it...

...Not even talking about the FOV of more than 200 degrees you can have with 2 Rift smartly put on your head...

...Ok, where's my pills...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

1789101113»