New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Cant Reach Oculus Runtime Services

Comments

• MrKaruMrKaru Posts: 310 Poster of the Week
    edited March 7
    I don't think the time there matters much. If a site forgets to update its certificate and goes down, you better believe people will be called in early to fix it. While this is a smaller issue, since websites have more traffic than a VR headset, it's still a relatively big problem since this is actual hardware that has been essentially bricked by their own negligence. 

I get that problems happen and it sucks for everybody, but until we know they're aware of the problem and working on a fix the only thing we, as users, can do is continue to post and complain to make sure they know ASAP. 
  • AymitoAymito Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    help we need help here >>>>> SOO :#
  • EightBit5EightBit5 Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    pbutcher said:
    EightBit5 said:
    So what I'm seeing is this is purely Oculus, right? Nothing wrong on our part? I've had this error before and a re-install of the software solved it, just wanted to make sure this is purely an Oculus issue and nothing I did (when you pay $400 for something you really want to make sure it's not your fault it's not working).

Correct, this issue is out of our hands.
    Thank you for the reassurance. Now just playing the (very boring) waiting game...
  • JonJonXDJonJonXD Posts: 71
    Hiro Protagonist
    As someone who works in IT, you'd be surprised how often certificates go expired due to the lack of management around it. The Oculus Security Team will probably get smacked over the head for this one, since this one of the basic responsibilities of any security team, managing public certificates.

If this is the case, it really should be a quick fix. Renew the certificate and update the installer on the website. They probably won't be able to push it down to our PCs, given that the background processes Oculus runs are now deemed "unsafe". So I would expect a broadcast to our registered e-mails to go download the new installer with the certificate attached.

It's interesting to see, as this may be more of a Windows 10 requirement than anything else, since I've never heard of this from an application perspective.
    PC Specs

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

Power Color Red Dragon RX 580 8GB

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

LG 29UM60-P Ultra Wide 2560x1080 Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

• TorTordenTorTorden Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    DTH said:
    For those of you who would like to know the time in CA.  it is 7:37 am so they are waking up to a nightmare.  Unless there like me and my day starts at 3:30 am Pac. Time.
    And to me it's now 16:50, you have no point, and oculus has no excuse.
  • Zapp_LegrandZapp_Legrand Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    The clock tweak allows me to play, but no update on the software. A little more of official communication will be great although...
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    edited March 7
    Storm_Cloud said:

There are companies a tiny fraction of 1% of the size of Facebook who provide 24 hour cover.
    Defending them by saying it's not much past 8am is frankly ludicrous!
    There are also a ton of companies as big as Facebook (or even bigger) that don't provide it. It's a shame, but 24/7 service is not something due. If your computer suddenly explodes at midnight, or if your car gets wrecked at 5 am, you'll have to wait for the day to begin (well, I guess that depends on the companies xD, but you see what I mean hopefully).
    NerveGear
    EightBit5 said:
    So what I'm seeing is this is purely Oculus, right? Nothing wrong on our part? I've had this error before and a re-install of the software solved it, just wanted to make sure this is purely an Oculus issue and nothing I did (when you pay $400 for something you really want to make sure it's not your fault it's not working).
    Indeed, I first thought this was from an earlier update that came down last night or something, but rather the lack of an update to a three year old certificate that has possibly been with us since the dev kits.
  • RosgilliesRosgillies Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    @cybereality Where the hell are you to comment and give us some info? Always with the opinions for other things but now you`re nowhere to be seen. Oculus staff. Disgusting behaviour, no more no less. Shame on you.
  • TarikMerryfaceTarikMerryface Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    setting the clock back seems risky to me. I can think of a few pieces of software that work on subscriptions that will think that you're trying to scam them and cause all sorts of havoc
  • onemoreblueonemoreblue Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Just installed my rift yesterday ...welcome to the community I guess LOL ... hope this isn't a normal thing 
    Brain Burst
    seriously where is Oculus Support for any  response until now ....????
  • Patrick2909Patrick2909 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem as everyone, because the certificate, what you can find here:

Files \ Oculus \ Support \ oculus-runtime \ OculusAppFramework.dll has expired, it ran from 21.05.2015 - 07.03.2018

It is really embarrassing that you forgot to extend the certificate, I hope Oculus gives us each a game.

But you can not do anything right now, it's just Oculus, just wait and see when the problem is fixed.

Come from germany, am beta tester!
  • JonJonXDJonJonXD Posts: 71
    Hiro Protagonist
    Storm_Cloud said:

There are companies a tiny fraction of 1% of the size of Facebook who provide 24 hour cover.
    Defending them by saying it's not much past 8am is frankly ludicrous!
    There are also a ton of companies as big as Facebook (or even bigger) that don't provide it. It's a shame, but 24/7 service is not something due. If your computer suddenly explodes at midnight, or if your car gets wrecked at 5 am, you'll have to wait for the day to begin (well, I guess that depends on the companies xD, but you see what I mean hopefully).
    They provide a 24/7 storefront and obviously have data centers to manage it.

I have never seen a data center for a larger company ever not have 24/7 coverage.

I am thinking that it is less a lack of coverage, and them trying to scramble with their certificate authority partner getting this thing renewed and come up with an action plan to execute on this.
    PC Specs

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

Power Color Red Dragon RX 580 8GB

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

LG 29UM60-P Ultra Wide 2560x1080 Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

• STEWIE1701STEWIE1701 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Just installed my rift yesterday ...welcome to the community I guess LOL ... hope this isn't a normal thing 
    lol same here dude. I just got mine yesterday as well!
  • SnoeySnoey Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I believe that among us, people browsing this thread, there is alerady few people working in some IT News website making an article about it.

Multimilionare company defeated by the expiry date   :D
  • BlackPixel_BlackPixel_ Posts: 39
    Brain Burst
    Just going to throw my cry among the rest!

HELP!!!! 

I'm already going to have to contact Amazon about a replacement because one of my controllers is defected.

Really Loud Mouse Clicks and BATTERY life diminishes extremely quickly, and I've barely used it...

I hope this issue gets resolved because I just purchased a third sensor and was finally enjoying developing in VR Mode in UE4 

I'd hate to go VIVE I heard they have many software and hardware issues also and support seems to be a nightmare...

I don't need that stress 
    MSI X99 GODLIKE Board / Intel Core i7-6900K / 32GB Extreme DDR4 2400MHz Memory / GTX 1080 Founders / 

NerveGear
    Sadly, almost two years in, and every update to Oculus itself, windows especially, and new gpu drivers has been installed with crossed fingers and the mantra "Don't break my VR, Please don't break my VR."...

It is awesome though,,
    When it works..
  • riseagainst64riseagainst64 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Lol thought revive is broken because i could not start Medium today. VR is awesome but not ready for mainstream if a big company like Facebook makes errors like this.... and is unable to fix them immediately. I would not suggest to change the clock. You will likely get other issues and changing the clock will not let you play certain games (rec room f.e.) I really hope they can fix it soon. Damn i want to skulpt!
  • delmonti007delmonti007 Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    ....so, I have my Virus checker, Internet security, Anti-Phishing, Rootkit checker, Ransomware Blocker, Spyware & Trojan killers..

and all it took was lazy management and a bad date code to render global wide bricking of Oculus. 

Nice.
  • pbutcherpbutcher Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Snoey said:
    I believe that among us, people browsing this thread, there is alerady few people working in some IT News website making an article about it.

Multimilionare company defeated by the expiry date   :D

I wouldn't blame them for making such an article. I've lost an afternoon of collecting data for a user study because of this.
  • Henri1970Henri1970 Posts: 79
    Hiro Protagonist
    any word anywhere?! checked facebook, twatter?
  • HallefexHallefex Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    I got mine just 4 hours ago, I'm not kidding !  :'(
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 4,884 Volunteer Moderator
    Its 8 AM in California, I'm sure people are just getting into work.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Brain Burst

HELP!!!! 

I'm already going to have to contact Amazon about a replacement because one of my controllers is defected.

Really Loud Mouse Clicks and BATTERY life diminishes extremely quickly, and I've barely used it...

I hope this issue gets resolved because I just purchased a third sensor and was finally enjoying developing in VR Mode in UE4 

I'd hate to go VIVE I heard they have many software and hardware issues also and support seems to be a nightmare...

I don't need that stress 
    The click will get better with time, as for battery life ...try to avoid haptic feedback in the controller where possible as it consume lots of power
  • pbutcherpbutcher Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Its 8 AM in California, I'm sure people are just getting into work.

I'm sorry, but for an issue like this, that's no excuse I'm afraid.
  • EightBit5EightBit5 Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    Hackers? Nope.

Apocalypse? Nope.

The ban of VR headsets worldwide? Nope.

An expiration date? Yep.

An expiration date took down the Oculus Rift.
  • onemoreblueonemoreblue Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    edited March 7

HELP!!!! 

I don't need that stress 
    From all my research Vive seemed to be the better product. I only picked up the rift because it was cheap and I wanted to be sure I'd enjoy VR before investing in a Vive Pro, whenever they release it.  Well that and the bigger game base without needing to use 3rd party software.
  • Henri1970Henri1970 Posts: 79
    Hiro Protagonist
    i do not work in IT but we do have people on call....like 24/7
  • Mace404Mace404 Posts: 205
    Nexus 6
    I'm seeing some weird stuff going with the certificate still.
    After the latest update I see 2 new signing time stamps, ‎Friday, ‎February ‎2, ‎2018 12:16:32 AM for live and ‎Friday, ‎March ‎2, ‎2018 03:04:39 AM for public beta.
    (Which is weird since you would expect the same certificate for both builds - like before)

When I then inspect the certificate I see the old one again with signing date of 21st of May 2015.
    Already cleared my Windows certificate cache trough certutil but same thing going on.