New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Runtime Services - Current Status

Comments

• VR-OCALAVR-OCALA Posts: 483
    Trinity
    With all the employees and money they have , how in the hell is there not a new security certificate yet? Oculus has been down for 21 hours in New Zealand. SMH

odds are the issue is not simply buying a new certificate, it's probably got to do with pushing out an update since everyone's updater is kinda messed up.
  • ChrisTheMachineChrisTheMachine Posts: 107
    Hiro Protagonist
    bruh

Trinity
    bruh

sis
  • maverixxxmaverixxx Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Set the date to yesterday, reboot your computer and normally you're goona be able to use your Oculus. Do this untill probelm is solved. don't forget to set date to correct date BEFORE installing another software.
  • AgentOrangeJuiceAgentOrangeJuice Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Right now, I really regret not getting a Vive instead. I came to accept not knowing if the Oculus would still work after I put my pc in hibernation, or that I have to pray every time I install a driver update or even software through the store but an expired Certificate? That is unbelievable.
  • BadDanMEBadDanME Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    maverixxx said:
    Set the date to yesterday, reboot your computer and normally you're goona be able to use your Oculus. Do this untill probelm is solved. don't forget to set date to correct date BEFORE installing another software.
    Would you guys please stop posting this stuff. It´s been said many times now, this might f#ck up your system big time.
  • HollishHollish Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    maverixxx said:
    Don't do this. https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/82nuzi/cant_reach_oculus_runtime_service/dvbkc25/
  • Mangal_OemieMangal_Oemie Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    As a security professional and Oculus owner, I understand the sheer incompetence, negligence and ignorance that was involved in this issue. Clearly you guys can't be trusted with anything PKI, and need someone to explain to you how this works, and how you organize yourself. You've just DoS'ed all your customers through incompetence and negligence.

Unbelievable...
  • floyd247floyd247 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    We are aware of and actively investigating an issue impacting ability to access Rift software. Our teams apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you and appreciate your patience while we work on a resolution. We'll share more updates here as we have them. Thanks.
    We are aware of and actively investigating an issue impacting ability to access Rift software. Our teams apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you and appreciate your patience while we work on a resolution. We'll share more updates here as we have them. Thanks.

NerveGear
    As a security professional and Oculus owner, I understand the sheer incompetence, negligence and ignorance that was involved in this issue. Clearly you guys can't be trusted with anything PKI, and need someone to explain to you how this works, and how you organize yourself. You've just DoS'ed all your customers through incompetence and negligence.

Unbelievable...
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/82nuzi/cant_reach_oculus_runtime_service/dvbx8g8/
  • songnarsongnar Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    Neat tag on the OP, anyone else else see it?  File this one under 998877"'
  • jakestabyjakestaby Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited March 2018

Unbelievable...

As a fellow security professional and Oculus owner... seriously.
    Trinity
    Right now, I really regret not getting a Vive instead. I came to accept not knowing if the Oculus would still work after I put my pc in hibernation, or that I have to pray every time I install a driver update or even software through the store but an expired Certificate? That is unbelievable.

Please understand I am sympathetic and not being dismissive when I say you are over-reacting and to take a breath.  This is not a common happening, it's an error that could have been prevented but human being screw up sometimes.  You don't have to fear updates... over a year and this is the only issue I can recall.  You're obviously disappointed but no matter what you buy from any store in the world, sometimes things aren't perfect... things break, people will cook your steak too long or cut your hair too short... doesn't mean they aren't great at what they do.  Rest easy, Oculus is a great product, it just doesn't look like it today.
  • iFleaiFlea Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    edited March 2018
    Aliantha said:
    iFlea said:
    AndTrax said:
    Refresh for awaited update....
    count hours, look at monitor with disappointment and than notice the nick of "staff" who said they will post more updates as they have them... ShowbizDonkey... wait... that may explain everything. 

I think the problem is that because we want to play (or some of us want to work) we just assume the fix is like changing a battery.  Stuff like this hurts their sales so I am relatively sure they are working very hard at getting everything fixed and will do so as expediently as possible.  I see no possible upside to them intentionally taking longer than needed.
    I understand and I agree with what you are saying. But without THEM posting an update to millions all around the world reassuring us that that is in fact the case, some (or as this post would indicate : most) members of community get annoyed and restless. It is only normal to know your customer base and it's expectations / needs. Gaming communities + technical problems = need for frequent updates. That's all. They can work hard and fix it for next two days i am FINE with that as long as I hear from them "it may take 24 hours" ... "we are not sure yet how long it will take we know you have been waiting for HOURS we apologise" etc I'm sure you understand what I mean. And how the hell can they not know that this will explode and create account on forum "ShowbizDonkey" to post an "official" update. I find it unprofessional and insulting. This post is the only official word that the world has heard from the Oculus and the word comes from ShowbizDonkey? Really? nice... reassuring... I don't enjoy being treated this way as a customer, hence I am angry :) Not because I can't play on my one of two days off I have this week, but because I feel I am treated like this "we got your money already so shut it and wait we will deal with it when we will". 
  • floyd247floyd247 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Well as some else said i hope you give a free game this should be the case we all paid a lot of money for are oculus and to turn you computer on and not able to play what you wanted is not good and you knew there was a problem as the problem stared yesterday think we all deserve o free game for are troubles
  • earwaxntoastearwaxntoast Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    EightBit5 said:
    Literally people in the forums know the issue.

The certificate expired.

How difficult is it to run an update that fixes the certificate?
    quite difficult. The cert is issued by a separate authority, not controlled by Oculus, which may also need to be approved by MS. Then, the application which would normally run to autoupdate is crashing due to the expired certificate, so an update can not be pushed - we will all need to manually download and reinstall oculus home, but not until the certificate has been fixed. This is a major, major screw up on their part, but one that should have been EASILY tracked and addressed before it became this problem. I track hundreds of certificates for my job and I've never missed one. 
    NerveGear
    ITT People say they regret buying a rift because of this one issue that no one saw coming. And you may say "They should have seen it coming." and that's fair, but there are also many reasonable explanations as to why this happened that don't mean the rift is a terrible and useless product over the long term. This will pass, their livelihood may just depend on it.
    Trinity
    iFlea said:
    Aliantha said:
    iFlea said:
    AndTrax said:
    Refresh for awaited update....
    count hours, look at monitor with disappointment and than notice the nick of "staff" who said they will post more updates as they have them... ShowbizDonkey... wait... that may explain everything. 

I think the problem is that because we want to play (or some of us want to work) we just assume the fix is like changing a battery.  Stuff like this hurts their sales so I am relatively sure they are working very hard at getting everything fixed and will do so as expediently as possible.  I see no possible upside to them intentionally taking longer than needed.
    I understand and I agree with what you are saying. But without THEM posting an update to millions all around the world reassuring us that that is in fact the case, some (or as this post would indicate : most) members of community get annoyed and restless. It is only normal to know you customer base and it's expectations / needs. Gaming communities + technical problems = need for frequent updates. That's all. They can work hard and fix it for next two days i am FINE with that as long as I hear from them "it may take 24 hours" ... "we are not sure yet how long it will take we know you have been waiting for HOURS we apologise" etc I'm sure you understand what I mean. And how the hell can they not know that this will explode and create account of forum ShowbizDonkey to post update. I find it unprofessional. This post is the only official word the world has heard from Oculus and the word comes from ShowbizDonkey? Really? nice... reassuring... I don't enjoy being treated this way as a customer, hence I am angry :) Not because I can't play on my one of two days off I have this week, but because I feel I am treated like this "we got your money already so shut it and wait we will deal with it when we will". 

Sadly tech companies, and most companies throughout the world really suck (I think that's the technical term) at customer service.  I don't think it's intentional, I think they really have zero training.  Lots of you claim to be security and tech professionals, I'm a customer service professional and it's just a really lacking art form especially among companies run by younger people who just don't get it.

I don't believe this is willful.  I honestly believe they posted they were working on it and really think that's sufficient.  It isn't, but I think they think it is.  Until they have something new to share they probably won't give it a second thought.  This doesn't make it ok, but customer service in every sector of our economy is pathetic.

Except Chick'fil'A, they rock... and I'm hungry
  • werelambwerelamb Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    I understand that mistakes can be made but considering that this issue started almost 24hrs ago in some parts of the world but they only acknowledged it 3hrs ago means they're either completely incompetent at monitoring system issues or they just don't give a S*** and were hoping the rest of the world wouldn't notice till their US staff got up for work.......someone should have been thrown out of bed for this and someone should probably be fired at this stage
  • Mangal_OemieMangal_Oemie Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Hollish said:

Unbelievable...
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/82nuzi/cant_reach_oculus_runtime_service/dvbx8g8/
    I am not as understanding as that post. I am not saying someone should be fired, but clearly they don't have the appropriate processes to keep certs updated. Clearly nobody thought of this, and no internal alerts were ever triggered. 
  • Depressed_AppleDepressed_Apple Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited March 2018
    im haveing the runtime issue now and it was working fine yester day at 2 am
    now i can open the oculus or see anything its like its not even pluged in
    xD
    https://gyazo.com/e39bc69dcb4cab69c52c26a855a90336
    Trinity
    floyd247 said:
    Well as some else said i hope you give a free game this should be the case we all paid a lot of money for are oculus and to turn you computer on and not able to play what you wanted is not good and you knew there was a problem as the problem stared yesterday think we all deserve o free game for are troubles

I don't see how we're entitled to anything for free.  If they do decide to do something that would be great but I have been playing enough online games and bought enough tech devices and cars and electronics and such to know nothing works 100% of the time.  The only people I really feel "sorry" for are those who need their Oculus hardware for work where this is costing them money.  I have other games to play and am enjoying the community so I don't know exactly what I "lost" that I deserve something for free for.
    NerveGear
    Hollish said:

Unbelievable...
    I am not as understanding as that post. I am not saying someone should be fired, but clearly they don't have the appropriate processes to keep certs updated. Clearly nobody thought of this, and no internal alerts were ever triggered. 
    "This Oculus signature was generated in 2015, a full year before CV1 was even released. They didn't have Facebook money, and this is exactly the kind of problem people just assume will be figured out later. A developer or release manager generated the signature (and went through the whole validation process), maybe stuck a not in a spreadsheet/JIRA ticket/whatever, and moved on. Maybe that person is no longer at Oculus. Maybe they're in a different role. Maybe there are super-tight controls now, but that one key slipped through the cracks..."

They're still just people, shit happens dude. They're trying to fix it now, not much more can be said.
  • duerrsduerrs Posts: 20
    NerveGear
    werelamb said:
    I understand that mistakes can be made but considering that this issue started almost 24hrs ago in some parts of the world but they only acknowledged it 3hrs ago means they're either completely incompetent at monitoring system issues or they just don't give a S*** and were hoping the rest of the world wouldn't notice till their US staff got up for work.......someone should have been thrown out of bed for this and someone should probably be fired at this stage
    Come on....Doesn't being fired over this seem a little extreme?  Perhaps the punishment should be that the dude has to use the Vive for a week.......lol
  • stu0rstu0r Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    some actual update should be posted here with an estimate how long it could take? is it 1h, 24h or could it be 1 week? would be great to actually know what to expect. It's ok to have a little downtime, but i want to know with what we are dealing with. 
  • CodexualCodexual Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited March 2018
    Here is a FIX for you guys!!! (Temporary fix) Changing your time on the computer, but it will still get the headset to work for the time being

https://youtu.be/wFrWWppXz-A
  • NekrobobNekrobob Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    They will announce the Rift 2 soon.
    NerveGear
    Codexual said:
    Here is a FIX for you guys!!!

Seriously, stop suggesting people roll back the time/date, it's not a good workaround.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Codexual said:
    Here is a FIX for you guys!!!

I would advise against changing system time.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)