Oculus Runtime Services - Current Status - Page 62 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Runtime Services - Current Status

Comments

• FastForward352FastForward352 Posts: 176
    Art3mis
    Aliantha said:
    Ok my pillow is calling and I must answer.  Goodnight my darlings <3
    Night night nice Lady :)
    Asus X99-A MB | i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz | Asus ROG-STRIX 1080Ti | 32 Gb RAM | SSD SAMSUNG 500Go M-2 |  Samsung 40" 4K Screen | T500RS & TH8A Shifter on Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog & Combat Rudder Pedals | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | OCULUS RIFT CV1 - 3 Sensor roomscale setup

• emil.sjoeholmemil.sjoeholm Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Aliantha said:
    my second update is stuck in queued. i have restarted but still queued. I had an game update that updated without trouble so i guess something went wrong?
    https://www.oculus.com/rift-patch/

try that again first
    Tried it. still the same. get a notification that the patch might not have been installed propely and that i should contact support if i get any issues. But i get a notification that an update is beeing downloaded at the same time.
  • tomcultomcul Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Will this fix itself automatically or do I need to download some patch?
  • charliemakescartoonscharliemakescartoons Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    tomcul said:
    NerveGear
    Nice of them to tell us..
  • OstermalmOstermalm Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I've got the same problem as profanicus. Used /bypassHotfixCheck to launch the patcher, then got the "Sorry, we encountered an error" screen. Also, the patcher seems to have erased the basic Oculus .exe files, so now I can't start anything even by changing the system date. Win7 x64, FX-8350, GTX1070.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,896 Valuable Player
    cjboucher said:
    tomcul said:
    cool so is it fixed now?
    thanks
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,517 Valuable Player
    Oculus really should post a big announcement in bold in the main forums, with this fix and link for download. Lot of folks are probably going to be searching for it.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • MattLaverickMattLaverick Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Patch seems to have worked for me and updated the certificates. See you all in 2 years!
    NerveGear
    dburne said:
    Oculus really should post a big announcement in bold in the main forums, with this fix and link for download. Lot of folks are probably going to be searching for it.
    Or an email to all registered users..
  • kinetix87kinetix87 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
     updated oculus works but it works with an older version of the software like before dash and all that any one having same problem ?
  • KatanagirlKatanagirl Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Well, I played last time two days ago then shutdown and turned the computer on this morning for a round of BoxVR to wake up. I tried to restart the service and even tried the repair option twice. Luckely I have a good internet connection or it would have been a pain. Then I figured only reinstalling might be an option but I did not want to do that because of all the games data. So I did what the error message suggested and contacted the support. I had the luck that I got a reply 5 minutes later, letting me know that it's a know bug and that they are working on it. Then got a second mail 2 minutes later with a link to the fix. So I must say, that is a good response time, but from reading here I had the impression not everyone was so lucky. What I like is that they did tell what the issue was and as an IT Pro I can understand that very well. Who can claim he never has forgotten to renew a certifficate in time? Not me. So, yes, it's shit but it's totaly understandable. And once the certifficate is no longer valid you have issues to update the software. I for example had to roll out a mobile device management again to 50 iPhones :-) Shit happens and this new VR world feels a bit like beeing back in the 90th when your Windows 95 crashed with a blue screen after inserting a new pci device due to IRQ incompatibilities... 10 years later windows is fine and so will be Oculus....
  • TestchamberTestchamber Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    Aliantha said:
    Can't update. Still not fixed. Updater now asks for two windows updates to be loaded first. I already have them installed. Installed them again and it still says this!!

Have you done a reboot?  Probably have and that likely isn't the issue but I always start at the beginning.

If you have rebooted you may want to do a fresh Oculus install just don't delete the directory that has your saved games
    Where's the directory that has my save games and how do I make sure I don't delete it with a new install?

• cigaremoodscigaremoods Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    Once again they do not have the decency to put a message in every community of every language: French, German, Spanish ...
    When you know the power of facebook with all the translators who monitor our conversations, they could for once be helpful in explaining in each language what to do.

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, Intel core I9-9900K, MSI RTX 2080 TI Gaming X Trio 11go, Corsair DDR4 16go, SSD Samsung NVMe M.2 500go, SSD Samsung 2To 860 QVO,
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 491
    Trinity
    tommet said:
    OmegaM4N said:
    Aliantha said:
    OmegaM4N said:
    Issues and mistakes happen in everything, that is a given, the milk is being cleaned up at least now, BUT! this issue did one thing for me personally and that is it highlighted just how much control i have over my own hardware on my own PC and to be frank, i am somewhat disturbed to have just found out that my £400 purchase and everything with it including software can be rendered useless via one little bit of software that i had no idea has some kind of always on connection and is updating in the background unknown to me. :/

It can be disturbing but it's not unique.  Apple can shut down it's Iphones as easily.  That's true in lots of areas.  Technology can be frightening.  I guess you have to have some faith in the goodwill of humanity.
    No it is not unique, but i assumed a gaming device like a VR headset would not require a always on connection, or at least any updated would be checked for and updated once i actually used it, and it reminded me of the XBox one launch were everybody balked at the idea of a always on connection, and rightly so, and really should both the xbox or a VR headset require a always on as they are just gaming devices, or if they must be always on then possibly let people know that before hand because i thought  had disable auto updates in the Oculus app, but it seems not, and as we saw here, things can obviously go wrong with this approach

Oh and i am not taking a  pop at the Rift, love my VR, but it is quite disconcerting to find this out after the fact.

This isn't because it requires an always on connection.  This is because the digital certificate that certifies the software is from oculus wasn't signed / renewed correctly.  This can happen with any piece of software running on almost any operating system today.  Windows, OSX, Android....

It was a dumbass mistake on Oculus part, but mistakes happen.  The speed at which they fixed it does them credit.  I worked in IT for over 25 years, and it's not longer amazing to me that something fails - it's amazing that it actually works at all.
    You could have called them and advised them to turn it on and off again.......yeap, i am totally original, no way you have ever heard that reference ever. lol
  • Dotsquares_OculusDotsquares_Oculus Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    no its not resolve

NerveGear
    cjboucher said:
    tomcul said:
    cool so is it fixed now?
    thanks
    Fixed it for me..
  • BlissIRLBlissIRL Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    The thing that gets me on this the most is all the wasted time uninstalling and rebuilding my pc - really did not need this shit yesterday - all i wanted was for a nice gaming session - what i got was the contrary . Cheers Face Rift , Oculus Book RTFM bastids.
  • RazorTimeRazorTime Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Patch applied and all is back to normal. 
  • AussieStigAussieStig Posts: 233
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2018
    Ostermalm said:
    I've got the same problem as profanicus. Used /bypassHotfixCheck to launch the patcher, then got the "Sorry, we encountered an error" screen. Also, the patcher seems to have erased the basic Oculus .exe files, so now I can't start anything even by changing the system date. Win7 x64, FX-8350, GTX1070.
    You might have the KB error now, considering you are running Win 7, check out my post a couple of pages back. 

• TestchamberTestchamber Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    Can't update. Still not fixed. Updater now asks for two windows updates to be loaded first. I already have them installed. Installed them again and it still says this!!
    You can fix this with a cmd prompt mate.

Usually Win 7 has these two files already installed, if that is the case you can use the cmd prompt. If you dont have those KBs then you will need to download them from Microsoft.

The first two cmd's are correct and then the last one is correct. I dont think Oculus ever addressed this issue, I may be wrong. If someone knows of another way please let us Win 7 users know. Cheers AussieStig
    Thanks, This worked. Though I only did it to the OculusPatchMarch2018 file.
  • andy0189andy0189 Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    tomcul said:
    dburne said:
    Or an email to all registered users..
    I received an email are you sure it just didn’t go to you spam box?
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,517 Valuable Player
    edited March 2018
    Yep I just received an email as well, along with a 15 dollar store credit it says. Should have it in next 7 days according to the email.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • andy0189andy0189 Posts: 15
    NerveGear

View this email in your browser 

We've just released an Oculus software update that fixes an issue where Rift may fail to start up. If you're receiving the error “Can't Reach Oculus Runtime Service,” you'll need to manually update your Oculus software before you can use your Rift.

To patch your Oculus software, you'll need to download 'OculusPatchMarch2018.exe' at https://www.oculus.com/rift-patch/. Run the executable, and select “Repair”. When the update is finished, launch the Oculus desktop app to continue the update process. Once the update is complete, you'll be able to use your Rift. 

A step-by-step walkthrough is available here: https://support.oculus.com/217157135500529/

A manual update is only necessary if you're unable to start the Oculus desktop app - if you aren't seeing an error, the system will update itself to the new version automatically.

We’re very sorry for the disruption today. We’re providing a $15 Oculus Store credit (or currency equivalent) to people impacted by this issue. If you used Rift on or after February 1st, 2018 this credit will be added to your account automatically within the next 7 days. See this page for info about Oculus Store credits.

Sorry again for any inconvenience this may have caused, and thanks for choosing Rift.

- The Oculus Team

Facebook     Twitter     Instagram     YouTube     Twitch
    Contact Us · Privacy Policy · Terms
    1601 Willow Road · Menlo Park, CA 94025 · USA

© 2018 Oculus VR, LLC.
    Oculus

Now everyone can stop complaining. Mass email and  money
  • KingPinAutKingPinAut Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    Well there you go! I just got a email telling how to patch and that everybody will get a 15$ credit for the oculus shop!
    Isn't that what the cryers wanted? ;)
    NerveGear
    #MeToo
  • AussieStigAussieStig Posts: 233
    Nexus 6
    Is the $15.00 for all Oculus Rift users or only CV1 users? 
  • CGH001CGH001 Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    ... just done the March 2018 patch now - after download, installation, update and a couple of restarts it's all running fine :) I was a bit worried when it mentioned having to reinstall all my Oculus games library but it didn't need to do that and was fixed in a short period of time. Thanks Oculus for getting this sorted.
    NerveGear
    it says for all who have used Rift after February 1st 2018
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,187
    Wintermute
     Now all the whiners, trolls and curling kids will dissapear from the forum once again unless they need an "adult" to help them with the update.

Thanks Oculus for fixing this so fast !
    Be good, die great !