cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Musician's Thread

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am wondering if there are any other musicians on these forums - if so what do you play? Do you write / record music? What got you into playing music? What is your gear?

I play bass guitar, guitar,synth and function as the audio engineer for my band.

It was Nirvana and Much Music (Canadian MTV) that got me into music - though I moved on from that influence early on after starting to learn how to play. I started on bass guitar at 13 and playing guitar at around 22 (I am 31 now) - when we play live I function as the bass player and in the studio I remain multi-instrumental focusing on support parts.

My main gear is:

'97 Fender Precision Lyte Deluxe
Ampeg Micro-VR with DI
Ampeg V6B
Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2 running through Logic X

175 REPLIES 175

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I'm a retired Metal Head. I was in and out of bands from high-school up til my early 30's.

Here's my retired gear:
  1. Jackson Kelly XL
  2. Washburn Dime

uwprmjxt7dmr.jpg

LZoltowski
Champion

Zenbane said:

I'm a retired Metal Head. I was in and out of bands from high-school up til my early 30's.

Here's my retired gear:
  1. Jackson Kelly XL
  2. Washburn Dime

Maaan they are sexy
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
nice axes - not fully retired I hope!

I’ve been in the same band for almost 20 years - it helps that we produce / record our own stuff as it is much to expensive to have someone do it for you and relying solely on being a live act is getting tougher as most live venues operate on a pay to play basis where I am from. But it is pretty easy to keep up as a studio band these days lol

danknugz
Superstar
i am a classically trained pianist
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

Anonymous
Not applicable

danknugz said:

i am a classically trained pianist

Awesome - do you write music, do you play professionally? What type of piano do you own / play predominantly?

What genre of music do you mostly tend to play?

Zenbane said:

uwprmjxt7dmr.jpg

Just got home - did not realize these were not strung up when I was looking on my phone. Do you have another guitar that you play more often?

danknugz
Superstar
not really anymore, it was one of those things my parents kind of forced me to do. i still have a music hobby but i rarely mention it because its kind of embarrassing and looked down on by real musicians, and even i dont have a lot of respect for it (techno) although i dont make dance music it is still kind of something im not really proud of
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

Anonymous
Not applicable

danknugz said:

not really anymore, it was one of those things my parents kind of forced me to do. i still have a music hobby but i rarely mention it because its kind of embarrassing and looked down on by real musicians, and even i dont have a lot of respect for it (techno) although i dont make dance music it is still kind of something im not really proud of

Not embarrassing if it sounds good - lots of good electronic music out there, created by "real" musicians.

I like amalgamating all sounds - I love self-sampling, synthesizers, messing with effects pedals on vocals and instruments,  etc. - becoming an audio engineer opened me up to the possibilities of using the studio in a way that stretches my understanding of music. When I am writing/recording my own stuff I use sampled drums / write midi-drum patterns to layer over top.

When I record with my band it is live off the floor with no metronome to capture a more dynamic tempo and then I build those songs up using a variety of guitars, electronics, etc.

My next goal is to combine parts of the two to see how far I can stretch a song out - it is my goal to write and record a side long song.

If you have classical piano training (solid foundation of melodic and rhythmic theory) - you could easily (and probably already do) use that in your electronic music - and I have found that my knowledge of an instrument has led me to be able to play other instruments fairly well in a studio setting. I mean I wouldn't get on stage and play keyboards or anything but I get the sounds I need out of them.

danknugz
Superstar
yeah im somewhat similar in that my knowledge of piano kind of led me into it, but i also studied percussion quite intensely in high school, thats probably more where i got the techno itch from, i am really drawn to the control factor with timing syncopation and automation,  you can (potentially) create different rhythms and sounds that typically you would not be able to with normal instruments. just a shame that its so trendy right now.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I used to own this:

I tried to make Techno/Metal comparable to Static-X and the Fear Factory remix, Remanufactured:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCP1HRV0dlE

To this day this Remanufactured Album is considered a "pioneer album."

My attempts to do anything similar with Techno/Metal were horrifyingly bad though lol