cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 fall creators update breaks Oculus?

Gnimmel
Explorer

A couple of days ago I turned on my PC and it said it had installed the latest version of windows and had made some changes. 

Everything seemed ok until I started using Oculus. At first it was fine but after using a few other things like Maya and the unreal engine, Oculus became unstable and stuttered a lot while playing.

I reset my PC and everything was fine for a short while before it happen again.  

I'm a developer and a professional animator so I use my Oculus for work with software like Unreal, Unity and Maya running all the time. so this was a pain to work with.

This happen 2 days after the latest security certificate patch, but there was a day in between with no problems so I assumed it was the windows update and I rolled it back.
After rolling back, everything seems to be working fine again.

So, this post is really to see if anyone else has noticed this and to see if its a known issue as windows will insist on updating again in the future. I'm not 100 percent comfortable with disabling all windows updates because some of them are necessary, but I will if it breaks stuff again.

3 REPLIES 3

YoLolo69
Trustee
They are a lot of possible issue with the last Creator update of Windows but one I'm sure creating problems for lot of persons is the Game Mode. Be sure to turn it off in the Windows Settings (Windows settings->Game->Game Bar) as it bring lot of stutters to VR games and Apps. Also, Oculus recommend currently to stay on NVidia drivers 388.59 until all problem are cleared with latest NVidia drivers. It don't impact everybody, I can use the last one without problem. If problem persist and as it happen after a while I suggest to monitor your computer to check process eating CPU/GPU at that moment, or even if you don't meet an overheating problem and CPU or GPU goes on throttling mode by security.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

LZoltowski
Champion
Disable your Guardian system, also disable Fast Start in windows power management.

I had the same issues after using 3ds Max and Redshift renderer, disabling those two fixed my issues in creators update.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Gnimmel
Explorer
I just noticed another thread; For Users w/ Black Screen on Rift, Post Logs Here

which seems to the same problem I was describing. As well as stuttering, I did have a few times when the screen was black after putting on the headset.