New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Netflix + Oculus = Horrible frame loss.

lag0maticlag0matic Posts: 142
Art3mis
The basics:
When running netflix (via dash, inside bigscreen, or even just having it playing on the PC) and trying to use the rift, I suffer from horrible performance. 

System Specs:
I7-7770K, 32GB, 980 TI GTX 6gb. 
 2 Displays + Rift.
1440P korean  no name on DVI, Planar 27" 1080 on DP to HDMI conversion cable, and Rift on HDMI.

Things I've tried: 
Disabling hardware accel in chrome, Different Nvidia Drivers

What happens:
While running rift, if I use the performance hud - when I fire up Netflix, even outside of the rift window, performance drops to garbage.  Frame judder when moving my head, etc.   As soon as I close the window playing netflix, performance shoots up to 90fps and stays there(in home).
In Bigscreen, I didnt check fps, but its the same issue:  Bigscreen runs perfectly, until I launch netflix.

I've read that Chrome can have issues with Rift, so I am thinking about trying firefox just for netflix+rift, or, if anyone has any ideas!

Thanks!
-Lag0

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 4,962 Volunteer Moderator
    Im having the same issue, I used to be able to watch Netflix while sculpting in medium but not the tracking and frame rate drop makes it unusable for now.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • lag0maticlag0matic Posts: 142
    Art3mis
    Well, at least its not just me.  I'm going to give it a shot in Firefox, and .. (ugh..) edge.. see if it works better in either.  May just wind up having a browser for Rift + Netflix if that's the case.

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 4,962 Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 13
    lag0matic said:
    Well, at least its not just me.  I'm going to give it a shot in Firefox, and .. (ugh..) edge.. see if it works better in either.  May just wind up having a browser for Rift + Netflix if that's the case.

Edge won't work, it has copyright protection, I get a black screen (That's it if you have 1080p enabled in Netflix) .. not many people know but chrome and firefox only do 720p Edge is the only browser that does full high bit rate 1080p Netflix
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Art3mis
    Ah, Damn. I didnt even think about DRM.  
    Another thing I just tried, so we have record, is disabling the 2.0 home.  It improved things in bigscreen, but still had lots of stutter.  And I also noticed the stutter in "home" even w/o the window being visible on the rift.
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 909
    3Jane
    edited March 13
    Firefox+Netflix+Oculus Rift+me = perfect. I use it often, last time last night. I used it in Dash and in Virtual Desktop, and last weeks with BigScreen no problem. Could be a Chrome problem...
    Edit : did you mean you used the official application from Windows Store to play Netflix?, because it didn't work for me due to DRM problem (NetFlix protection).

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

Art3mis
    I'll have to grab firefox and give it a shot Yolo, and no I was thinking about using the Edge browser, but apparently the DRM also blocks it in rift. 
  • SkysolsticeSkysolstice Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Have you tried to disconnect your second monitor before running Oculus home and netflix?  I have the same configuration you do with multiple monitors and performance loss with Netflix.
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 909
    3Jane
    edited March 23
    I always have one monitor, always turned off when using the Rift, could explain I don't have any problem?

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242