cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DeoVR update is coming - any feature requests?

VRPlayers
Protege

Deo has got much better. Totally refactored. Anything special we can do for you guys?

That's a beta to test https://www.dropbox.com/s/9zob073v6own49o/DeoVR%203.2_.zip?dl=0

18 REPLIES 18

Sketchy_Rift
Honored Guest
Is it just me or did this update destroy quite a bit of basic functionality? I usually use an xbox controller, and I've been using DeoVR for around 6 months now (damn near daily). After the update today to 3.0 / 3.1, here are some of my observations and disappointments...

Controller/Button Issues: (tested on xbox controller, and rift touch controllers)
  • X button no longer Plays/Pauses the video; It now does nothing
  • Y button no longer toggles Mute; It now does nothing
  • B button no longer brings up the folder contents; It now does nothing
  • LB and RB no longer adjust the Volume; They now adjust Vertical Offset
  • Left Analog no longer Seeks ahead/behind; It now adjusts the Volume. Seek was substantially more useful, even if it was fairly unwieldy and kinda random as to how far ahead/behind it would seek.
The control changes are the biggest issue for me. With controls the way they are, DeoVR is essentially useless to me. There are so many buttons on my controller that now do NOTHING, and simple things like pausing the video or skipping to the next one are now a pain in the butt.

Menu and Other Issues:
  • The menu that you bring up with the A button no longer has Prev / Next buttons
  • When that menu is up your view is now FORCED into mono where before you had an option for it. Why remove options? People like to have choices.
  • The button beside the settings button.. What's that even do? When I press it it just opens up the settings menu, just like the settings button, except that pressing the settings button a second time will close the menu but not so for pressing the mystery button a second time. The button icon looks like Windows Task View button. I'm stumped.
  • I tried the headtracking but did not like it. If i for example, turn my head from side to side, the world in front of me notably shifts side to side and it feels off/exaggerated. It's always good to give people features and options though.

If I had no issues above I suppose here is what I would like ...
Features I'd like to see:
  • Right Analog Stick Button In assigned to Reset Zoom to 0.0
  • The ability to watch traditional flat video on a CURVED screen. This was literally the ONLY thing I felt was wrong/missing with the old version of DeoVR and the only reason I ever occasionally used other players.
  • Maybe an Icon in the menu or something that allows you to toggle a Lock/Unlock state for the triggers so you don't accidently change your offsets. After 6 months of using DeoVR my offset was always at its best when I set it correctly once and never touched it again... ever... I had to redo it every now and again after accidental trigger presses.
For now, is there some way I can revert to the old version? I rebooted my PC after testing and tried again, hoping there was some problem on my end that just needed a reboot... I still hope its a problem on my end...

corpsed
Honored Guest
I'm absolutely floored at how much this update has WRECKED DeoVR.

I'm using a rift with touch controller, and now the player is virtual useless. Previously, I could chill to videos with a single controller in my hand and control everything with that controller. Now I can't control anything even with two controllers.

1. Previously, I could FFW or or rewind a video just by pushing the controller left and right. Now that has been assigned to the volume control? WTF.... WHY?

2. There's seemingly no way to FFW or REWIND a video now without opening the menu and doing it manually? f

3. If I open a FLAT video, the flat video option doesn't work, so the flat video is stuck in blown up 360 mode and unwatchable...

4. Now the player automatically switches to mono mode when you open the menu and there is no way to turn it off so that it doesn't swicth from 3D to mono everytime you have the menu open. As someone who wants to watch 3D videos with the menu open, that's totally f***d me. And if I have to open the menu a lot, the constant flipping back and forth hurts my eyes.

Those are the big "WOW... you ruined the player" marks. DeoVR is virtually useless to me now. To be honest, I preferred the settings to be in a single streamlined menu as well... Now the settings are thrown in all directions and virtually cover the entire video when you open them. Yeah, it looks cooler, but the practicality of the single menu was better.

PLEASE bring back the option to use the controls on a single touch controller to control the video, bring back flat video button, and please do not force us to be in mono mode when we open the menu. I can deal with the huge, menu and other minor nuances, but these 4 are killers.

corpsed
Honored Guest
Also is there a way to rollback to the previous version? If I can't rollback, I'm forced to use another player..

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm with the general consensus, this latest update has not improved my Deo experience in any way. 

The one thing I had requested a long time ago was a way to recenter using the touch controller. Instead the functionality of the touch controller has been degraded to almost useless. At least now you can recenter from the menu, but I can't use this player any longer.

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I figured I'd go back to the SLR (Sex Like Real) player, and its new Video Player interface is identical to the Deo interface, except for the location of the AB button (whatever that does). The menus are the same, the useless touch controls are the same, everything.

So I think, what's really going on here? Turns out, SLR is "Powered by Deo VR Player". So thanks for ruining that too.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
The main thing that has disappointed me with VR video players since I got my Rift (Jun 2016) is the poor support for 3D SBS videos.

I have been recording my Rift activities directly from the Rift in SBS format for a long time, for my YouTube channel and they always look best when viewed on one of these cheapo so-called VR headsets like you get on Amazon, and a mobile/cell-phone. That's very disappointing.

The various players have issues with either stretching, low resolution (much lower than seen in the Rift) or look as though the two views are not quite aligned. Sometimes it takes a while to adjust your eyes to what you are seeing.

So I would like to see a big improvement with viewing these kind of videos.

Here is an example of one of my recordings:

https://youtu.be/LYrZiLQDKtk

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

bablank
Honored Guest
Please restore DEOVR to its prior state! It was nearly perfect before this incredibly destructive update. No longer a joy to use. It's now very tedious. What were you guys thinking???

nullcorp
Honored Guest
I like some of the new stuff, but I have to agree with the general sentiment here. You guys shouldn't have changed the controls (which simply worked and really didn't need to be changed). What could have been added is a configuration menu to be able to change the controls ourselves, but that's it. If it's not possible to do that in the short term, at least please do a quick update to revert to the previous controls that everyone was used to.

Hero_Hiro
Honored Guest
The original layout was great for watching shows. The new one, not so much. Update has stripped a lot of the useful UI and controls. Overall a step backwards imo.