New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HTC Vive PRO - Your turn Oculus

ZuhZuh Posts: 256
Nexus 6
edited March 2018 in General
I wish Oculus ware first but it's good news all the same:

https://blog.vive.com/us/2018/03/19/htc-vive-announces-price-vive-pro-hmd-799-pre-orders-start-today-price-vive-reduced-499/

VIVE PRO SPECS

• Unprecedented presence with Hi-Res and 3D spatial audio
  • Stay immersed comfortably with higher display resolution, easy-to-use headset & cable design, and improved ergonomics
  • Chaperone technology
  • Free to move around wirelessly with VIVE Wireless Adapter*
  • *VIVE Wireless Adapter sold separately.

Headset Specs

Screen:Dual AMOLED 3.5" diagonal
Resolution:1440 x 1600 pixels per eye (2880 x 1600 pixels combined)
Refresh rate:90 Hz
Field of view:110 degrees
Audio:Hi-Res certificate headset 
Hi-Res certificate headphone (removable) 
High impedance headphone support
Input:Integrated microphones
Connections:USB-C 3.0, DP 1.2, Bluetooth
Sensors:SteamVR Tracking, G-sensor, gyroscope, proximity, IPD sensor
Ergonomics:Eye relief with lens distance adjustment 
Adjustable IPD 
Adjustable headphone 
Adjustable headstrap

VIVE PRO HMD includes

Headset

• Headset cable (attached)
  • Face cushion (attached)
  • Cleaning cloth
  • Earphone hole cap (2)
  • Documentaion

Link box

• Power adapter
  • DisplayPort™ cable
  • USB 3.0 cable
  • Mounting pad

Recommended Computer Specs

• Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4590 or AMD FX™ 8350, equivalent or better.
  • Graphics: NVDIA® GeForce® GTX1060 or AMD Radeon ™ RX480, equivalent or better. View the complete list >
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM or more
  • Video out: DisplayPort 1.2 or newer
  • USB ports: 1x USB 3.0 or newer port
  • Operating system: Windows® 8.1 or later, Windows® 10

*VIVE Wireless Adapter sold separately.

Coming Soon

Tagged:

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,887 Valuable Player
    edited March 2018
    HTC drops Vive to $499 and opens preorders for $799 headset-only Vive Pro

HTC says it will charge $799 for its new, higher-resolution Vive Pro virtual reality headset — and we mean, literally, just the headset.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/19/17137336/htc-vive-pro-vr-hmd-upgrade-price-preorder-shipping-date

This is my favorite part of the Vive Pro release news:
    Anyone who purchases a Vive Pro by June 3rd will get six free months of HTC’s Viveport subscription service

Because having an Exclusive Store is a winning strategy. Glad to see that HTC stopped relying just on Steam and finally adopted the Facebook-Oculus model. This is "their turn" after a rough 2 years.

We will probably have to wait until the Holidays to see how well HTC did with the original Vive price-drop and Vive Pro sales.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,989
    Wintermute
    799$ just for the headset? with no FoV improvement. seriously? i might have bitten if it included the sensors.
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • ZuhZuh Posts: 256
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2018
    It's a lot but it's also new hi-end without competition and step forward for VR overall. Now we wait for Oculus or maybe new competitor and watch prices going down.  
    I'm also interested in that VIVE Wireless Adapter of theirs :smiley:

BTW: Viveport subscription looks like a good value.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 3,087 Valuable Player
    $800?  Fucking rip off as usual.  At least HTC is consistent in one area.  They charge too much for their tech.  Is this targeting regular consumers?

I can wait for CV2.  The headset is the cheap part, hopefully the GPUs are reasonable again when CV2 comes out.
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,297
    3Jane
    edited March 2018

falken76 said:
    I can wait for CV2.  The headset is the cheap part, hopefully the GPUs are reasonable again when CV2 comes out.
    Same here : I'm not buying any second generation VR headset until the GPU prices stop skyrocketing because of the crypto-currency mining related problem. Oculus VR can safely spend the whole 2018 year improving the CV2 with 2019 technology.

I mean the HTC Vive also came out first (before CV1), and we all know how that worked out.

WARNING : Zuh's post suggests Windows 7 isn't even supported... that's only ~half of the Windows platform users not being able to run it... good luck with that.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,776 Volunteer Moderator
    wait for $799 no base stations or controllers and only marginally better screens? NO ability to swap out headphones either. All the reviews I have seen, say the clarity is improved but it doesn't feel like a second gen product, more like 1.5. It's not night and day and certainly doesn't justify the asking price.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • lag0maticlag0matic Posts: 142
    Art3mis
    Yep, basically a 799$ UPGRADE. First time buyers have to spend additional to get lightouses and touch controllers.
    edited March 2018
    So if someone wants to jump ship from Oculus, and go for vive pro, they will need

HMD £799
    2 x Lighthouse at £199 each
    2 x Controllers at £199 each

That's £1278 ... is it me or is this idiotic?

So an impossible ceiling for a switcher, and a pretty high one for an existing Vive owner .. this has Fail written all over it.

Oculus did a great job with the prices even for standalone sensors .. 3 sensors are less than 1 lighthouse, or even 2 replacement touch controllers are less than 1 Vive wand.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Art3mis
    So if someone wants to jump ship from Oculus, and go for vive pro, they will need

HMD £799

So an impossible ceiling for a switcher, and a pretty high one for an existing Vive owner .. this has Fail written all over it.
    Yeah, or someone buying for the first time.  Also, this completely eliminates re-sale.  "Oh, I upgraded to the Vive Pro, heres the original HMD, but you dont get lighthouses or controllers."
    Art3mis
    LOL, yeah, right.

lag0matic said:

HMD £799

Yeah, or someone buying for the first time.  Also, this completely eliminates re-sale.  "Oh, I upgraded to the Vive Pro, heres the original HMD, but you dont get lighthouses or controllers."

I didn't even think about that, excellent point ... this is so bad it's hilarious.

• dburnedburne Posts: 4,427 Valuable Player
    I would certainly not spend that kind of money for just a marginal improvement in resolution over the Rift.
    I am however really looking forward to the Rift CV2.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Nexus 6
    Guys... obviously they will introduce bundles and price will drop with time. By the Christmas all will be set and possibly discounted. 

Why not be excited about VR being pushed forward in the mean time?    
    Art3mis
    Zuh said:
    Guys... obviously they will introduce bundles and price will drop with time. By the Christmas all will be set and possibly discounted. 

Why not be excited about VR being pushed forward in the mean time?    
    Its not that big of a push.
    DisplayAMOLEDOLED
    Resolution2,880 x 1,600 (615 PPI)2,160 x 1,200 (448 PPI)
    Refresh Rate90Hz90Hz
    PlatformSteamVR, ViveportSteamVR, VivePort
    Field of view110 degrees110 degrees

So, slightly better resolution.  Built in audio.
    Dual instead of single mics.

So, again. its an 800$ upgrade, or nearly 1400$ new purchase. For marginal upgrades over the original.

Zuh said:
    It's a lot but it's also new hi-end without competition and step forward for VR overall.

I disagree. And honestly, these types of retorts are becoming way too commonplace as taglines and soundbites. Whenever something doesn't make sense in VR, as either a hardware or software product, someone stops with the specifics and says, "well this is a step forward for VR overall."

Not everything is a step forward. Some things are a step backward. Charging $800 for a headset that has minimal improvements over its predecessor isn't a step forward by default, and some could argue is a step backward in terms of adoption.

We have to let the market decide.

Anyone can go watch the overall feedback all over Facebook regarding the Vive Pro price-point. It seems that an overwhelming majority believe that the price doesn't justify the offering. But again, we have to let the market decide.
  • iJudgementiJudgement Posts: 183
    Art3mis
    Just a slight increase in resolution, that would be more noticeable to Vive users than Oculus users... I wouldn't even classify this as 1.5, it's more like 1.25

Oculus doesn't really need to make a move to combat the Vive Pro. 

After all... Vive is going after 'prosumers' and not 'consumers'.
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,989
    Wintermute
    theyll just leave it at 799 to milk all the idiots willing to pay it, then theyll bring it down after theres no one left dumb or rich enough to not care about wasting money
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
    I just want to go up to HTC and whisper in their ear: "Who hurt you"

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,122 Valuable Player
    Feels more like a cash grab than any intention to evolve the VR field, where are knuckles? They're not even trying to be competitive.

I strongly suspect that they've had to redesign the Knuckles controllers because they were having the same problem that Oculus had with a near identical Touch prototype design - the Oculus staff were throwing the things across the office occasionally due to the straps breaking lol :o:D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2018
    I absolutely agree with the price argument. I will definitely not buy it at this point but I'm still excited. I believe VR is ready and needs resolution upgrade (that is my biggest problem so far). There is also wireless adapter but cables are not bothering me that much. Seeing major VR manufacturer making next step imo is a good news but like Zenbane point out- market will decide.
    In my mind it's a good day <3
    @Zuh I am equally excited, and I hope you don't see these messages as discouragement or an attack on your post, it's just it feels like a step backwards for the consumer. The upgrade in resolution is great, it just feels so ill thought out!

Nexus 6
    edited March 2018
    @Zuh I am equally excited, and I hope you don't see these messages as discouragement or an attack on your post, it's just it feels like a step backwards for the consumer. The upgrade in resolution is great, it just feels so ill thought out!
    I'm not taking it personally. All I see is constructive and well placed criticism. The price is shocking. 

I can't agree it's a step backward as it's not limiting anything for the customer.

In contrary- the Vive just got cheaper. (more ppl getting into VR => bigger software sales => more quality software being made)
  • SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    Wintermute
    Considering the only real improvement to the headset is the screen, I think 800 is steep for just that and is a step backward. You're looking at 1300+ just to get the full experience with that.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,122 Valuable Player
    Zuh said:
    I absolutely agree with the price argument. I will definitely not buy it at this point but I'm still excited. I believe VR is ready and needs resolution upgrade (that is my biggest problem so far). There is also wireless adapter but cables are not bothering me that much. Seeing major VR manufacturer making next step imo is a good news but like Zenbane point out- market will decide.
    In my mind it's a good day <3

The problem is that it isn't a big enough step up. It's only a 1.5K headset, matching the Samsung Odyssey's resolution. VR Arcades may be happy with this upgrade because compared to how crap the original Vive's displays and optics are, but the price will end up putting a few of them off upgrading.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited March 2018
    Zuh said:
    I can't agree it's a step backward as it's not limiting anything for the customer.

Again I find myself strongly disagreeing based on the obvious limitation of the average consumer: Spending.
    • Original Cost of the Vive: $800
    • $300 for Wireless Adapter
    • $100 for Deluxe Audio Strap
    • $100 for the Vive Tracker
    • $150 for Vive Racket Sports Tracker

And that's not counting all the other accessories:

https://www.vive.com/us/accessory/

And now another $800 for a new headset before the original Vive even hit its 2 year mark? What most customers are expressing is their discontent at being expected to continuously pay out money for a piece of hardware that consistently needs more upgrades that aint free.

This can hamper the overall growth and adoption of Virtual Reality due to the perception that large organization's such as HTC are treating it like a "cash grab." Everyone knows that there is only one scenario where a Cash Crab thrives: When the bottom is about to fall out (See; BitConnect).

Zuh said:
    In contrary- the Vive just got cheaper. (more ppl getting into VR => bigger software sales => more quality software being made)

With the original Vive being cheaper in a field that is still considered "early adoption," it isn't sending a good sign. It gives the impression of "obsolete hardware." The connection you tried to make between the Hardware and "bigger software sales" along with "more quality software being made" isn't direct with a situation like this. Especially considering that this is HTC's first move after going nearly bankrupt and having its intellectual property bought out by Google. Any consumer paying attention to HTC over the past 2 years would be wise to steer clear from this; which is probably why HTC is focusing on the "prosumer" with the Vive Pro and using their mobile VR Headset, Vive Focus, for the average consumer.

The idea that "any news is good news" doesn't apply here.

You did agree that the market will decide, and that does apply to which software sales rise, and what type of quality software is being made. The launch of Doom and Fallout VR has hampered the confidence people have with Skyrim VR (for example).
  • JohSm67JohSm67 Posts: 165
    Art3mis
    Personally I think It's to much money for just an upgrade of the HMD for present users!
    A drawback is that you needs to keep the Bases + Hand controllers or own those from the beginning!

Maybe it's just because of limited supplies they start with such a high price tag!
    Strange Pricing from HTC, that price should be ok for a full kit maybe! (Europe price is a killer.)
    As a result I probably simply keep the Std Vive (with the TPCast) & the Rift.
    (Still using the Rift seated more often than doing room scale VR even having space and TPCast dedicated for it.)

So being a bit annoyed about the upgrade price, my current conclusion is to wait for an wireless affordable alternative.
    Maybe the "Oculus Santa Cruz", have to wait to see graphics quality on that one!

Other HMD's for VR and AR out there that looks interesting as alternatives

The Samsung Odyssey HMD (Windows ME) has the same display specifications as the Vive Pro!
    Is available in the US for $499 with hand controllers and inside-out tracking.

Then there is the "Magic Leap One" that will be interesting, guess it will be expensive.
    But according to the little information available it might be an Uber Cool AR device, time will tell!

/J 
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 5,008 Valuable Player
    Too many posts to find what i'm after.

£799 - is that the entire bundle?  Lighthouse 2.0 and Touch equivalent controllers (or as close as they can get them)?

If it is, i'm in.