New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Medium Monsters Sculpting Contest (submissions due April 20th at 12pm PT)

naomi.cornmannaomi.cornman Posts: 178 Oculus Staff
edited April 2018 in Oculus Medium

Oculus Medium Monster Sculpting Contest

*For inspiration, creature based on Carlos Huante's concept and sculpted in Medium by Giovanni Nakpil.* 

Medium will be at Monsterpalooza in Pasadena, CA April 13-15th. 

In celebration of the show, sculpt a monster utilizing Oculus Medium and enter to win a 3D print of your monster! 

Rules: 

1. Submissions must be made in Medium only.
  2. Submit three (3) photos and/or a (1) 20-second video of your final sculpt.
  3. Submission screenshots and videos must be taken with Medium internal photo and video tools.
  4. One entry per participant.
  5. Must be 18 year or older, must be in located in United States, United Kingdom, Canada (excluding Quebec), France, Germany, Netherlands, Poland or Japan.   
  6. Please see official rules attached

Submission: 

1. Email submission of 3 photos and/or 1 20-second video to: [email protected]
  2. Due before 12:00 p.m. PT on April 20, 2018

Judging Criteria: 

60 points: Design creativity and uniqueness

30 points: Interpretation and clarity of theme to the judges/viewers

10 points: Presentation (choice of pictures or video will not be counted against submission) 

Judges: Members of the Medium team. 

Good luck! 

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,705 Volunteer Moderator
    OMG IM IN!!! I was about to start a monster sculpt! Woohooooo Happy Days! Thanks Medium team!
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 775
    3Jane
    edited March 2018
    Totally going to make a dragon of some kind. Ideas are brewing!
  • DreamShaperDreamShaper Posts: 705
    3Jane
    edited March 2018
    This one is going to be fun! Competition is going to be fierce.  Looking forward to seeing what the winning sculpts look like!   I'm setting a highly ambitious goal of actually entering the contest, and hoping to place somewhere in the top 200 submissions!

• naomi.cornmannaomi.cornman Posts: 178 Oculus Staff
    3 more weeks until submissions are due! Some inspiration from @P3nT4gR4m, @superactionfunboy, @steveteeps, @southerngfx, @bananapunk

• Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 491
    Trinity
    @naomi.cornman This looks amazing, really excited - any chance of adding Australia to the terms ? Thanks looking forward to your thoughts :) 
    Need refresher or some tips on creating creatures? Dive into a Tutorial in VR with Dominic Qwek

Sculpting Organic Creatures in Oculus Medium with Dominic Qwek

Need refresher or some tips on creating creatures? Dive into a Tutorial in VR with Dominic Qwek

Sculpting Organic Creatures in Oculus Medium with Dominic Qwek

Im working on mine! It's taking longer than usual because of work but im on it!! :)
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

3Jane
    10 days left, and I'm about half done. :P
  • starakatstarakat Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Hey, I emailed my video and then tried to upload my sculpt to my gallery but it doesn't show.  I tried just uploading the default sphere and it worked, tried my monster sculpt again and still nothing.  Any suggestions so I can make the deadline tomorrow?
    3Jane
    @starakat I think you just need to e-mail your video or pictures. I don't believe that uploading the sculpt is a requirement of the contest -- at least that hasn't been a requirement of previous contests. Depending upon the size of your sculpt file and your upload bandwidth, it can take a long time to upload a file to your gallery. Did the upload fail with an error? 
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,673 Valuable Player
    I'm in the same boat. Got #coral, which I think is code for - sculpt too big. I just emailed the entry anyway

• FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    edited April 2018
    yeah you only have to "Submit three (3) photos and/or a (1) 20-second video of your final sculpt" as I can imagine it would take too long to download and view all entries in VR! :) 

I just sent over my photos and videos in the nick of time! Trying to upload now so fingers crossed it works.

Edit: Yep got hit with #coral too  :D
    Damn yuo Facebook, give us a 10 gig limit ya tightfisted batsards!  :D
    NerveGear
    DeadlyJoe said:
    @starakat I think you just need to e-mail your video or pictures. I don't believe that uploading the sculpt is a requirement of the contest -- at least that hasn't been a requirement of previous contests. Depending upon the size of your sculpt file and your upload bandwidth, it can take a long time to upload a file to your gallery. Did the upload fail with an error? 
    There wasn't an error, it said it was added to uploads but then nothing happened.
    NerveGear
    edited April 2018
    Tried to share my sculpt again and got an error message this time about Medium not being able to move the files. #azure  Anyone know how to resolve this one? @DeadlyJoe
    3Jane
    I'm not sure what the #azure error is, sorry. @MattHickman or @naomi.cornman will know.

Hey guys! All your monsters have been submitted for vote. Sharing to our website gallery or Facebook was not a requirement for this contest, so you're all in the clear! 

#azure is Medium having trouble moving or saving asset from one file to another. When you save, we create a temp folder then write to your directory. Check that you have admin rights to your temp folder. Also can be that there is something with the same name in your directory and is having trouble writing over it. 
    #coral is Medium unable to share to the website, usually because your sculpt is over 400MB, which is all we can handle at the moment. :/
    thanks for the info @naomi.cornman ! its good to know the limit, i can try compress and reduce the file till its under that size :)
    3Jane
    Can't wait to see what everyone did. :)
    Me neither, didn't have enough time to finish my sculpt, good luck everyone!

yeah im just waiting for the results so i can see everyone post the sculpts to their sketchbooks  :D
    3Jane
    There are going to be results, right? ;)
    3Jane
    Thanks guys! I can't believe I won. And I can't believe how green all the entries are -- so much green. :D

Naomi is going to work with me to make the model 3D printable. It's going to take a fair bit of work, but I think I can thicken up most of the detail without losing the overall look. I'll share the model as soon as possible. I also captured some video of the build, so I'll try to throw that together when I can.

Cheers!  :)
    edited May 2018
    @DeadlyJoe Hooooooooooooly shit dude thats one of the most epic sculpts I've ever seen!!!! Just love all the details, looks like a painting!

I can't wait to see the 3D print! If you manage to make it printable I'd love a copy of the file to print myself!
    3Jane
    @FrozenPea ; Thanks much! I just hope that I can actually get it 3D printed. I'm going to have to add a lot of reinforcement to the little tentacles and spikes on the serpent. Most of them will need to be turned into small fins. I need to solidify the ship, which is pretty much hollow, and move the broken masts around a bit so they're actually touching something and not floating in the air. So it's going to look a little different, but I think I can make it work.

On a side note, I recently bought a Peopoly Moai resin SLA 3D printer that can do 10 Micron layer height, so pretty soon here I'm going to be able to do some super high resolution printing on my own. Can't wait to share those results with you guys. I'd like to do some give-away prints for the community, too. :)
    DeadlyJoe said:
    Thanks guys! I can't believe I won. And I can't believe how green all the entries are -- so much green. :D

Naomi is going to work with me to make the model 3D printable. It's going to take a fair bit of work, but I think I can thicken up most of the detail without losing the overall look. I'll share the model as soon as possible. I also captured some video of the build, so I'll try to throw that together when I can.

Cheers!  :)
    Yeah Naomi is great! I had to thicken a few things up but it printed great!

and CONGRATULATIONS!

Holy crap @DeadlyJoe - you just won the entire internets! That composition with the sea in a ball is a stroke of pure genius

3Jane
    edited May 2018
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    Holy crap @DeadlyJoe - you just won the entire internets! That composition with the sea in a ball is a stroke of pure genius

Thanks! I can't take full credit for the ball idea, though. I've seen several other works, mostly paintings, that use the same concept and I think it's just always been in the back of my mind. I almost ditched the water entirely because I couldn't make the waves look realistic. It went through a few iterations before deciding to go with the old-timey stylized waves, but I like how it turned out, at least form the front angle. 
    DeadlyJoe said:
    P3nT4gR4m said:

Thanks! I can't take full credit for the ball idea, though. I've seen several other works, mostly paintings, that use the same concept and I think it's just always been in the back of my mind. I almost ditched the water entirely because I couldn't make the waves look realistic. It went through a few iterations before deciding to go with the old-timey stylized waves, but I like how it turned out, at least form the front angle. 
    The way you faked subsurface scattering on the sea with painting is just stunning, it's like a work of art, painted on a work of art :) ... ARTCEPTION!