970M on Vr — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

970M on Vr

SkyturtleSkyturtle Posts: 1
NerveGear
If i have a laptop with 16GB of ram and i7-6820 and everything that exceeds the requirements but my laptop is a 970m will it work with vr if so how well

Comments

• lag0maticlag0matic Posts: 142
    Art3mis
    There's a very good chance it wont work at all.

Lost of laptops with Mobile graphics have the intel integrated graphics connected to the HDMI/Display port, and the 970M connected only to the internal display.

Secondly,
    the 970M, as I understand it, is bare-minimum for running VR. So, if it does work, the chances are the experience wont be all that great. 

Since its a laptop, if you have a friend with a Rift, I'd suggest taking the machine over there, and seeing if you can get it to work before you go out and spend money on a Rift of your own.

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,291 Volunteer Moderator
    lag0matic said:

Secondly, the 970M, as I understand it, is bare-minimum for running VR.
    970 is the bare minimum. The 970m is slower.

I've got a 980m laptop, it works ok in VR but only just. Anything slower than that would struggle.

But it may work, if the laptop isn't incompatible.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited March 2018
    Actually, the GTX 970 is recommended, the 960 is minimum. However a 970M is probably still somewhat slower than the 960. That said, the problem isn't as much the performance but in the way that laptops connect and power the GPU. Some use Optimus (common on 900M models) which wrecks havoc on VR, some laptops heavily power limit the mobile graphics (meaning the chip may only be getting a fraction of it's actual theoretical performance), and some laptops even hard-wire the HDMI port to the integrated graphics, meaning Rift games cannot be rendered properly. In short, it's probably not going to work at all.

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • wardzackwardzack Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    I have a 970m on a laptop that I use with the oculus and it runs like a dream!  Those older laptops might need an hdmi to dvi adapter though
  • wardzackwardzack Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    I have a 970m on a laptop that I use with the oculus and it runs like a dream!  Those older laptops might need an hdmi to dvi adapter though. It's an ASUS rog 751 jt