Dash 2.0 very juddery to start — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Dash 2.0 very juddery to start

KrematorKremator Posts: 21
Brain Burst
Hi All,

It is rare for me to post here, but everytime I put on my Rift (and wait for Home to load) it is extremely juddery - to the point where I have to close my eyes to avoid being sick!  I've got all the Oculus software on an SSD so it SHOULD load quickly but doesn't.  Anyone else suffer with this ?

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    It may be a conflict with a background service or app. For example, you should disable MSI Afterburner, RivaTuner, F.lux, TeamViewer, or other apps the monitor or overlay the screen. Also, please uninstall all Asus software (notably Asus AI Suite and Asus Sonic Suite). M-Audio can also cause issues. Hope that helps.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • NetheriNetheri Posts: 212
    Nexus 6
    Kremator said:
    Hi All,

It is rare for me to post here, but everytime I put on my Rift (and wait for Home to load) it is extremely juddery - to the point where I have to close my eyes to avoid being sick!  I've got all the Oculus software on an SSD so it SHOULD load quickly but doesn't.  Anyone else suffer with this ?
    I've experienced this also starting today. I haven't changed anything and haven't changed any hardware. It must be something related to graphics, as when in gray middle state before Home2 loads up, there's no judder in hands or in HMD. When graphics (Home2, or game, i.e. BBC Home) loads up, hands begin to lag, rubberband, etc and the view judders and stutters.
    i5-8600K@5GHz, Gigabyte 2080 Gaming OC, Corsair 32gb 3000MHz@3100MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 2 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 cards.
    Non-mandatory Home 2.0 and/or Dash in memoriam
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Did you try what I suggested above?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • IlIfadeIlIIlIfadeIlI Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    Have you tried double clicking Home first waiting a minute then putting it on?
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2018
    Did you try what I suggested above?
    Don't have any of those apps. But i downgraded NVIDIA drivers to 388.59, as was suggested by other user in other thread. So it seems to be NVIDIAs nonVRoptimized drivers causing hickups.
    i5-8600K@5GHz, Gigabyte 2080 Gaming OC, Corsair 32gb 3000MHz@3100MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 2 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 cards.
  • KrematorKremator Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Hi Cyberreality.  I don't have any of those programs running at all.  I do worry about the Nvidia driver and will try the latest version (from today) and if that doesn't work I'll downgrade the driver - however I don't like to be forced to have to do this.

@Illfadelll I suppose I COULD do that but I assumed that the software would work pretty fast.  The judder is unacceptable as it does make you sick while loading - even blanking the screen completely would help (or forcing it to NOT display Dash until loaded)
  • IlIfadeIlIIlIfadeIlI Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2018
    I was just wondering if it still happened if you did that way.  I don't get the same effect when putting it on first so I was wondering if it was a temperature calibration issue if not a cpu load issue.
  • KrematorKremator Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Wierd indeed.  Is there a way that I can check this ?  Something in the logs etc ?
  • KNP54KNP54 Posts: 258
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2018
    I believe I'm having the same problem, it started about 2-3 days ago. I launch home, put on my headset, it's a bit juddery, and the home menu won't load at all, but I can see all my objects I placed in home! I see the Oculus logo and my hands appear and disappear every 10 seconds. When I move my head while the oculus logo and hands are being displayed the logo and hands are having trouble rendering (they get all wavy!). Very wierd problem. I have to restart home several times before the home menu loads up. When I get no menu, I can still launch games from the desktop with no problems.
    Specs: Delidded i7-8086k @ 5.0 GHz all cores, NZXT X52 cooler, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz, ASRock Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, Corsair SF600 platinum, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1TB, Samgung 850 EVO 500GB + 840 EVO 500GB in raid0, Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB, Louqe Ghost S1, Asus PB287Q 3840x2160 @ 60Hz, Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 1680x1050 @ 60Hz. Oculus Rift CV1.
    Nexus 6
    This problem has came back, but usually it goes away after i.e. getting hmd of the head and putting back. 
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    It's Beta so it's not streamlined. Unfortunately even Classic Home has gotten RAM hungry which is not what users want. I am now bypassing Home VR altogether. Such a waste of time and effort if it's not efficient.