cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should Oculus team up with AMD or Nvidia?

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer
I personally think AMD because of the Asynchronous shading tech. I would like to see it in action and you could get a better quality fps and graphic visuals and can only be currently done in dx12 - AMD only. Since no one really likes windows 10.. are we hindering progress of the gaming world?
What are your thoughts? In my opinion dx12 is the future 
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
AMD is the underdog I saw always work with your underdogs as your main companies will just follow suit anyways, but vulcan or dx12 is hard to say xD I think Vulcan is a neat idea - but when talking about what will be the most supported I guess I would say stick with dx12 over all or all of them or neither. Only because, as a programmer, there are times different apis allow for different things and it really depends on what is going on with it more than anything so support them all is better approach than singling one of them out.

No one likes upgrading and no one likes windows 10 for other reasons than it being a problem for gaming. All in all - working with MS and DX12 isn't a killer here, but I do think focusing on Windows 10 over another OS such as W7 or 8 would be better choice just because it's going to be the better supported OS. Less problems when there are problems, and new technology always works towards the newest OS.

As for AMD - I think working with them first just gives them that slight boost that in return means you will have better support over all. With Nvida GPP forcing people to be on either camp - it really sicking to support a giant trying to kill off the little guy just because they reach a little high off this crypto mining.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Other:
Oculus shouldn't partner with either AMD or Nvidia. It should ensure everything runs fine with all sufficiently capable hardware regardless of who made it. That said, I think Vulkan is a better future for graphics engines. DX12 has some advantages, but I think Vulkan is the better way forward overall. One thing is certain though, DX11 and OpenGL 4.5 need to die, preferably by going back in time 2 years and doing it then. Both are a plague on modern games.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
There was a time before the Facebook acquisition when OVR still had contact with Valve, where it was muted to have a one stop SteamPC/VR solution - and that AMD had signed up to create a reference design. Sadly this all died with the acquisition - but it was nearly a thing!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer

Zenbane said:

That is not a frog - this is a frog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP5mput8V9A

GeekyGami
Adventurer
Just go Vulkan, support both NVidia and AMD, and possibly more of them, if NVidia's Partner Program is an indication of anything

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer

GeekyGami said:

Just go Vulkan, support both NVidia and AMD, and possibly more of them, if NVidia's Partner Program is an indication of anything

dx12 has better frame rates and I dont think Vulkan does Asynchronous Shading.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
First part isn't true Frog, second part is meaningless if fps is the same or worse. Either way, both DX12 and Vulkan are good API's. The only real problem with DX12 is that it's Windows 10 only while Vulkan runs on pretty much everything. Beyond that, there aren't any practical differences that I know of.

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer
Asynchronous shading gets out the chunky funky fps drop instead of the GPU running on one core sorting out the shaders