cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think i have an awesome accessory idea for the Oculus team

Candle71
Explorer
I'm sitting on the floor using my Rift when my cat meows and rubs against me. As I'm s petting this invisible creature I began to wonder how small the controller sensors are, and if one could be fitted onto a pet collar. The Rift could then pick up my pet's location, and display an image. This could keep a player from tripping over their pets when they decide to get in the way. Location, height, and direction could be sent back to the sensors to display proper standing/sitting poses.  Also with many different display choices a user could either find a display that closely matches their own pet, or turn their pet into something completely different. *poof* My cat is now a baby dragon that I can actually pet, or one of those creatures you first see in "Farlands". Anyways that's my idea and I hope others like it enough that it gets made. I'll accept one free collar and app and one percent royalties as payment for it. 
8 REPLIES 8

MowTin
Expert Trustee
Turning your cat into a dragon would be better for AR not VR.

There are other more practical solutions to not stepping on your pet like keeping your pet locked out of the room or in a kennel. 

I don't think the demand is there but that's just my opinion. Keep thinking. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

LZoltowski
Champion
My cat just sits there looking at me with contempt while I wave my hands around. I bet he's thinking "I wonder how long before he tangles himself up in this thing so he suffocates and I can finally eat him"
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

GeekyGami
Adventurer
If my cat hadn't been dead a few months back, I would have supported an idea like this wholeheartedly, if only for the fact that it means not tripping on my cat, or on whatever else is moving about.

In fact, just a simple accessory that can be seen by the cameras is great.
It means I can see that someone is coming by in the room, if they're not an idiot/aren't trying to jumpscare me

Luciferous
Consultant
I was thinking that in oculus home it would be good if you could pin your desktop to a wall permanently like a TV and then you could have your webcam on so you could see you room whilst in Oculus home. You could see people coming in, where you are etc. So you would be in VR looking at reality through a computer screen which is odd 🙂 as your body is in reality and you are in VR looking at your body.  erm...yes.

Chell_Bell
Honored Guest
Damn, someone else came up with this idea, too. I'm all for it. Caging my cat for hours while my friends play is cruel. He loves people. Instead of my friends shouting "incoming *direction where cat is entering*" I could just see him enter the playing area.

CrashFu
Consultant
On a similar vein, I've wondered if the Insight system could be updated to respond to moving objects entering the play area and give the user some kind of warning / visual representation of them?

Even if it's just kind of a vague transparent blob to say "Hey, there's something here"  would be useful...

Though if it could selectively overlay an isolated portion of camera feed, that'd be even better!  Imagine being in the middle of a VR game and then seeing a ghostly monochrome image of your cat go walking by your feet.   Then we wouldn't even need constellation-equipped pet-collars. 
:smile:

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

MountainDog12
Protege
This is an excellent idea! The other night, I was stunned to find my dog sleeping by my feet  I never heard him come in & was completely shocked to find him there. I love dogs , so I would keep him as a dog, instead of a dragon 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Do as I did with old RIFT with finding my beer bottles and hang your Left Controller on the collar! We can actually add a 3rd controller apparently.