Countless issues with my Rift — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Countless issues with my Rift

MentalParadoxMentalParadox Posts: 33
Brain Burst
I see you deleted my post, so I'll just repost. You'll have to ban me if you want me to shut up.

My Rift used to work mostly fine. Then, I wiped my PC and reinstalled Windows 7, and did not use VR for over a year. Now, I tried to come back. And what a bitter disappointment it is. I'll list the issues I'm having. 

The first issue, I've had the last time I used VR. Annoying microstuttering in tracking. Regardless of how many times I reinstall software or what USB 3.0 socket I use, it always stutters and makes me nauseous. But this, if you can believe it, I have gotten used to. There are much worse problems now...

Complete loss of tracking. The tracking regularly fails now. First the positional tracking, then the directional tracking stars failing. Occasionally it comes back briefly, only to fail again. This is vomit-inducing. It happens so frequently, I just can't use it anymore. I tried changing USB socket. I tried rebooting the PC. Nothing works. The tracker is in the same place it's always been, and back then it worked. Mostly...

The Oculus program is unstable and crashes. Apps will suddenly slow down and become unresponsive. It starts getting so slow and unstable, I can't even quit the app without doing control+alt+delete and killing the process from there. Also, my entire computer is noticably slower (bordering on unusable) since installing the Oculus software. Just turning the app off doesn't fix this, only a reboot briefly does. I've had this issue before last time I used the Rift. I reported the problem here, and was called 'crazy' for daring to suggest the Oculus software negatively affected Windows. Well guess what, it happened again. On a clean PC, with a clean install of both Windows and Oculus. 

So yeah... suggestions, anyone? I really don't have the money for another tracker. My enthusiasm for VR dissipated along with my bank account some time in 2016.

Comments

• SneakyglowormSneakygloworm Posts: 89
    Hiro Protagonist
    What are your GPU, CPU and Memory specs? Have you tried going to Windows 10?
  • Sax-a-boomSax-a-boom Posts: 731 Poster of the Week
    I think the trouble with declaring Oculus software broken, is that you're in an Oculus forum full of people who are using the exact same software with none of the issues you are experiencing. Makes no sense. So you either have a problem with how your PC is performing, or there's a problem with the Rift hardware. Contact support and work through it with them. I suspect that it going to be quite a ping pong and patience will be a virtue. For my own piece of mind, if I wanted to discount my PC hardware, I'd find a friend with a Rift ready PC and ask if I could set up on their system just to check how it ran. If you have exactly the same problems, it's Rift hardware, if it works ok it's your PC.
  • MentalParadoxMentalParadox Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    What are your GPU, CPU and Memory specs? Have you tried going to Windows 10?
    OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z97
    System Type: x64-based PC
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
    BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. F7, 21/04/2015, SMBIOS Version 2.7
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16,0 GB

I did not downgrade to Windows 10 because all my games worked fine with 7, I loved 7, and 10 was kind of rubbish in the beginning. I didn't want to experience sudden compatibility issues with games I already owned.

Now, I can't afford to downgrade to 10. I'm in serious money trouble.
    Brain Burst
    I think the trouble with declaring Oculus software broken, is that you're in an Oculus forum full of people who are using the exact same software with none of the issues you are experiencing. Makes no sense. So you either have a problem with how your PC is performing, or there's a problem with the Rift hardware. Contact support and work through it with them. I suspect that it going to be quite a ping pong and patience will be a virtue. For my own piece of mind, if I wanted to discount my PC hardware, I'd find a friend with a Rift ready PC and ask if I could set up on their system just to check how it ran. If you have exactly the same problems, it's Rift hardware, if it works ok it's your PC.
    No one on this forum has ever had tracking issues? Oooookay, then. Sadly, I'm one of those weirdos with no friends. There's a reason I have to hide in the virtual.
  • Sax-a-boomSax-a-boom Posts: 731 Poster of the Week
    No one on this forum has ever had tracking issues? Oooookay, then. Sadly, I'm one of those weirdos with no friends. There's a reason I have to hide in the virtual.
    Don't think I mentioned that nobody had had tracking issues before, I said that you claiming the Oculus software was solely responsible for your problems (which seems to go way beyond tracking) makes no sense, or we'd all be experiencing it. I'm not currently seeing the forum full of posts about not being able to use their rifts. 

It's ok if you want to be arsey with me, I was actual just trying to help with suggestions, which is what you shouted out for.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Win 10 is still free as far as I know. https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    If you want to try it over Win7 is dependant on your own personal issues with MS. I have had zero issues with win10 and find it pretty efficient with only one blue screen since it went live. You will have to jump through a few hoops but I recommend doing a clean install. Otherwise just install over win7 from desktop. 

You have a GTX 980 which is at the very limits of VR use. I get stuttering on an overclocked GTX 1080 and the absolute only solution is to back the graphic settings off, quit the app and restart it again. Knock every setting down to low. I initially blamed stuttering on tracking, OS, Nvidia drivers but it was a graphic settings. Plain and simple. 

I've also managed to clock my CPU (AMD FX 8350) up to 4.8Ghz so if you can, try to get as much safe headroom from your hardware as you can, VR is a very power hungry beast.
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2018
    Win 10 is still free as far as I know. https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    If you want to try it over Win7 is dependant on your own personal issues with MS. I have had zero issues with win10 and find it pretty efficient with only one blue screen since it went live. You will have to jump through a few hoops but I recommend doing a clean install. Otherwise just install over win7 from desktop. 

You have a GTX 980 which is at the very limits of VR use. I get stuttering on an overclocked GTX 1080 and the absolute only solution is to back the graphic settings off, quit the app and restart it again. Knock every setting down to low. I initially blamed stuttering on tracking, OS, Nvidia drivers but it was a graphic settings. Plain and simple. 

I've also managed to clock my CPU (AMD FX 8350) up to 4.8Ghz so if you can, try to get as much safe headroom from your hardware as you can, VR is a very power hungry beast.
    Windows 10 is not free. The link you provided says you need to purchase a license.

The stutter is tracking stutter, not low FPS. And it wasn't like this in the very beginning (the first week or so). If my hardware was inadequate (I've seen people with more laughable PCs than mine use VR), it wouldn't suddenly start out of nowhere.

What I would like to know is, how can I manually update the drivers of the headset or tracker?

And is it possible that the latest update is really catering mainly to Windows 10, mine is 7 and that's why there are so few people complaining?
    Hiro Protagonist
    ooh, by the way.If you haven't already, get the oculus tray tool - https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5okoju/oculus_tray_tool/

Install it, set Power plan to high performance in the tool. Set adaptive performance in the Nvidia desktop software (high performance pushes GPU temps up) and set ASW to Auto in the tool. ASW will help smooth out lost frames but will also cause a rippling effect if the GPU is being pushed too hard ( a dead giveaway if graphic settings are too high). You can also manually stop and start the Oculus app from the tool.

None of these things may be the issue but its worth a try.
    Brain Burst
    I'll try that. A part of me is silently resigned that this is never going to be fixed, though. 
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2018
    Some more info, that shows it's not my PC being inadequate...

Sometimes the position of the 'camera' (my vision) jerks in a random direction a foot or so, then jerks back. And during the more severe stutters, the audio stutters too. This is not an FPS problem. I swear this did NOT happen last time I used VR on this PC.
    Brain Burst
    Also, the milder form of stuttering only happens when I move my head, not when I use the mouse for looking around.
    Hiro Protagonist
    I've had that a couple of times. mainly when one of the sensors was blocked. Are you using a third party USB Hub? Do you have extended cables for the sensors? Is your headset being blocked by anything? What about moving your sensors around a bit? I have one 6 feet to my left and 6 feet up on a wall facing me and the other is 4 feet behind me and 6 feet up to the right. I have no tracking issues with them now.

It may be worth just raising a ticket with oculus if you get no joy by testing yourself, going through all the pre-defined questions and getting it resolved that way. It could very well be a rift hardware issue. It is frustrating but you could literally go bonkers trying to troubleshoot on forums because of the different setups and solutions people have. 
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2018
    Sneakygloworm said:
    It is frustrating but you could literally go bonkers trying to troubleshoot on forums because of the different setups and solutions people have. 
    Agreed. I wonder if the low adoption rate of VR partially has something to do with how hard it can be to troubleshoot. Phones are literally plug-and-play, but with VR so much can go wrong because of people owning different kinds of hardware.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,268 Valuable Player
    edited March 2018
    Sneakygloworm said:
    It is frustrating but you could literally go bonkers trying to troubleshoot on forums because of the different setups and solutions people have. 
    Agreed. I wonder if the low adoption rate of VR partially has something to do with how hard it can be to troubleshoot. Phones are literally plug-and-play, but with VR so much can go wrong because of people owning different kinds of hardware.

There's not much that can go wrong with VR if your PC is set up right to run it. If your PC is setup right then it's the Oculus Hardware that's faulting which means contacting Oculus Support. They will ask you for a log file to determine if it's the CV1 causing the problem. There's a couple of things to look out at though. Disable background programs that might be causing a conflict is a big one. Also, install an older Geforce driver, the recommended one for a Geforce is 388.59 right now for anyone having problems. It's been mentioned in the forums that the latest one can cause problems. Other then that it's more likely a hardware fault, but Oculus Support should be able to determine this..
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,850
    Project 2501
    Because of what was said above, so many things that can go wrong with a pc because of the many set up options is why Playstation vr sold over 2 million units and is climbing in sales. I have both the rift and Sony vr. If I couldn't get my pc going I would hang it up and go with Playstation 
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 731
    3Jane
    /snip/
    And is it possible that the latest update is really catering mainly to Windows 10, mine is 7 and that's why there are so few people complaining?
    I run both Windows 7 & 10 with the Oculus Rift and performance seems to be about the same on both.  Initially with a GTX970, now with a 1080, performance was quite acceptable on the 970 but it was spending most of its time running flat out.

The stuttering (jumping? ) when you move your head sounds like losing tracking on the sensors as I suffered that noticibly before going 3 sensors, mainly as I'd move out of view by turning away from them!

A license for Windows 10 pro can be bought, legally, for less than £20 from www.softwaregeeks.co.uk if you wanted to go that route.

Sorry I can't offer anything more constructive to assist with the problem but do hope that you get to the bottom of the problems.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,755 Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2018
    Have a read of this:https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmorris/2018/01/26/how-to-get-windows-10-for-free-in-2018/#5250ed1c5145

You can still get it for free. 94.6% of Rift users are Windows 10: https://developer.oculus.com/hardware-report/pc/

Update your BIOS too as it's a bit old (there is an F8 version), make sure you disable intel graphics in the BIOS, and make sure you remove all traces of Intel drivers using DDU http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Also silly thing, but make sure you have no mirrors or reflective surfaces in view of the sensors.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited March 2018
    Your system will run well enough. I had started with Win7 on a GTX970SC Xeon Quad Duo and it did fine.
    If Home is stuttering it sounds like a few possibilities:
    - your Sensors got moved closer together than originally setup (redo Sensor Setup in menu)
    - your PC has downloads in memory awaiting installing
    - your running too new Nvidia drivers (388.59 are safe)
    - your PC is overheating so use a fan controller to raise the fan speed curve (I use EVGA Precission X)
    - use RESTART OCULUS or later manually kill all Oculus Tasks and reboot
    - Be sure that only 2 Oculus Devices are used on any one USB board (USB2 is fine for sensors but USB3 for HMD)
    - check for any Windows Updates
    - free up as much RAM as possible e.g. delete Nvidia Experience, 3D and Audio
    - make Page File Virtual Memory 1.5 times your RAM and be sure to leave enough space on your drive 

I still use my Xeon Quad Duo now with a GTX1080SC Win10Pro64 and it plays all games great except LONE ECHO.
    Best of luck!

• WingnutradioWingnutradio Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    I see you deleted my post, so I'll just repost. You'll have to ban me if you want me to shut up.

My Rift used to work mostly fine. Then, I wiped my PC and reinstalled Windows 7, and did not use VR for over a year. Now, I tried to come back. And what a bitter disappointment it is. I'll list the issues I'm having. 

The first issue, I've had the last time I used VR. Annoying microstuttering in tracking. Regardless of how many times I reinstall software or what USB 3.0 socket I use, it always stutters and makes me nauseous. But this, if you can believe it, I have gotten used to. There are much worse problems now...

Complete loss of tracking. The tracking regularly fails now. First the positional tracking, then the directional tracking stars failing. Occasionally it comes back briefly, only to fail again. This is vomit-inducing. It happens so frequently, I just can't use it anymore. I tried changing USB socket. I tried rebooting the PC. Nothing works. The tracker is in the same place it's always been, and back then it worked. Mostly...

The Oculus program is unstable and crashes. Apps will suddenly slow down and become unresponsive. It starts getting so slow and unstable, I can't even quit the app without doing control+alt+delete and killing the process from there. Also, my entire computer is noticably slower (bordering on unusable) since installing the Oculus software. Just turning the app off doesn't fix this, only a reboot briefly does. I've had this issue before last time I used the Rift. I reported the problem here, and was called 'crazy' for daring to suggest the Oculus software negatively affected Windows. Well guess what, it happened again. On a clean PC, with a clean install of both Windows and Oculus. 

So yeah... suggestions, anyone? I really don't have the money for another tracker. My enthusiasm for VR dissipated along with my bank account some time in 2016.
    I have a bunch of the same issues, and black screen of death as well?
    is it a driver issue?
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,788 Valuable Player
    edited February 27
    I'll try that. A part of me is silently resigned that this is never going to be fixed, though. 
    You need to upgrade to windows 10, this is a conflict of some sort on your system.  Your financial status won't change the fact that Windows 7 is outdated and no longer supported.
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 318
    Trinity
    edited February 27
    Get Windows 10 first.
  • WingnutradioWingnutradio Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    The issues I have are related, to windows 10. The intermittent black screen, visual loss? Does anyone else have this issue I’ve used the information provided in earlier posts, about turning power on and disabling USB power options.