cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will there be an refresh / update for the Rift

JohSm67
Rising Star
Hi Guys and Girls,

I know about the roadmap (the public) one with the OGO and OSCZ but are wondering if we will see some kind of refresh or v2 of the Rift.
Price has got down and it works greate, alot of AAA titels and super greate bundled games. HTC has released an refreshed version...
(The Pro, with some updates and kind a integrated deluxe audiostrap.)

I do not want to compare specs or get a discussion about wich is best! (Got a Vive, Rift, GearVR already...)

But still there are some enhancements that I would like to see in a refreshed version of the Rift and other HMD’s

- Optics, need a clearer and sharper image. ”Lenses” needs to be refreshed.
- Resolution, guess it would clear up some text and make videos looking better but for sure it needs to be enhanced even if it will force you to get a 1080TI.
- Integrated Leapmotion camera for additional Handtracking, or atleast prepared for (connecting & attaching) and make it available as an option to buy as upgrade

Other options 

- Wireless untethered connection of headset as option, but prepared for with integrated cabling and attaching availability on HMD.
- Wireless untethered connection of 3’d external sensor for 360..... Unless tracking from OSCZ is added to a refreshed Rift+
- Keyboard / Mouse that is possible to track from within your HMD.

What would you like to see?
JohSm
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
We won't see Oculus making as bad a business decision as HTC have done with the Vive Pro. We'll see the Rift CV2 being released next year as a proper second generation headset. I'm expecting at least a 2K resolution headset with a small increase in FOV (10-20 degrees increase), and we might even end up seeing a 4K headset if Oculus have managed to nail foveated rendering.

We'll either see a teaser at the end of Zuckerberg's keynote at F8 in May or a full reveal in October at Oculus Connect.

Digikid1
Consultant
Of course they will update it...

Either in the next day or the next five years. Take your pick. 

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
Raw resolution increase is a net loss for the product.  It doesn't very little to enhance the overall experience while increasing the price and system requirements thereby making the product less accessible.  As an isolated feature, CV2 should have a modest increase in resolution at most.  1440p would work (up from 1200p).  Though multi-projection support would change the math.

Incidentally, stop saying 2k is an upgrade.  We are already at 2k.  The "k" suffix refers to the horizontal resolution which is not a good way to talk about VR resolution given the two eyes.  Use the vertical resolution instead.  The CV1 is currently 2160 x 1200 = 2k = 1200p, but it should be referred to as 1200p, not 2k.

Anonymous
Not applicable
VR resolution refers to per eye rather than adding the resolution of the two displays together. The Rift and Vive are 1K headsets, the Vive Pro is a 1.5K headset, the CV2 when it releases next year is going to be either a 2K headset or a 4K headset depending on whether Oculus manage to sort out their foveated rendering or not.

wanoennogs
Heroic Explorer

snowdog said:

We won't see Oculus making as bad a business decision as HTC have done with the Vive Pro. We'll see the Rift CV2 being released next year as a proper second generation headset. I'm expecting at least a 2K resolution headset with a small increase in FOV (10-20 degrees increase), and we might even end up seeing a 4K headset if Oculus have managed to nail foveated rendering.

We'll either see a teaser at the end of Zuckerberg's keynote at F8 in May or a full reveal in October at Oculus Connect.

We'll see the Rift CV2 being released next year as a proper second generation headset.

Proof?

Or are you another person who passes off guess work as proof? 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't have proof, but it fits in with the Oculus time line. VR technology is moving fast, they said between the lifespan of a mobile phone (2 years) and a console (5 years). So that's either 3 or 4 years. By the time 2020 has come by the world and his wife will be releasing VR headsets with either 2K or 4K resolution and the Rift will have been out of date for 2 years due to the releases of the Vive Pro, Samsung Odyssey and Pimax over9000K.

You'd be a fool to bet against the CV2 being released next year imo.

kilobulb
Expert Protege
It depends how far away a foveated rendering is. If it's only 1 or 2 years away and it's as game changing as everyone says then Oculus has to wait until they have a working foveated rendering(FV) solution. If they release CV2 next year but FV still isn't ready at that price point they run the risk of being completely outclassed if someone delivers a headset with FV shortly after.

Steve30x
Honored Guest
If theres one thing I would like to see changed in a CV2 is the headstrap changed to the PS VR / Windows MR headset headband which is far more comfortable and makes it easier for glasses wearers like me to put on the headset

BrokenSymmetry
Heroic Explorer
Looking at the current lineup in OH, I find it extremely difficult to justify pouring any more money into VR hardware. I'll gladly buy any game to my liking, though, because that's what I find lacking for now.

Unless there is a solid lineup of AAA games, and can expect new releases every few months at the least, I won't be buying any new hardware. And by solid and AAA, I don't mean sports games, nor do I mean mp games with next-to-zero sp content, much less arcade waveshooters.

The same can be said for Vive. Both HMDs are lacking solid games.