New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Ready Player One a review from a gamer/tech/vr enthusiast angle (might contain minor spoilers)

LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,429 Volunteer Moderator
edited March 30 in General
So I came to the theatre with many expectations and a giddy sense of wonder. 

The movie ticked a lot of the right boxes for me, it is 70% CGI animation (think all the best CGI cut scenes from games like Diablo, Overwatch Mini series, Halo, Final Fantasy, GTA etc) and 30% Live action with that Steven Spielberg twist. The movie requires at least two further viewings to spot all the nods to pop and gaming culture.

Some interesting, easy to digest points:
  • Interesting was the use of VR tech that is already in development today, Omni floors for movement, haptic feedback suits, motion chairs etc
  • The movie uses a clever way for facial expressions to be transferred to the VR world with something that is the same tech as the iphone X laser 3d camera and Animoji.. which makes me feel that tech will imitate art on this one pretty soon and we will see this implemented in future HMDs
  • This makes the tech in the movie a bit dated for where it is set 2044. Many of the headsets look like Gear VR or DK1 !!!
  • There are 3 scenes where the VIVE logo is used, I think Oculus really missed a huge opportunity here.
  • The movie has many laugh out loud scenes that will only make sense to gamers, esp RPG and fantasy players.
  • There is an excellent Stanley Kubrick tribute in the middle of the movie which made me smile from ear to ear through the whole thing.
  • The entire thing is a gamers nirvana, with clever nods to the way we play games and how involved we can get in them
  • Entire economies exist because of VR in this movie, with people making money from mods and content creation, I see this happening more and more in VR, people already make money from mods in 2d games, so it's a natural progression.
  • FUCKING GUNDAM FIGHTING MEGA ROBOT GODZILLA SCENE!

I give the movie 8/10 .. its a lot of fun, a  lot of nostalgia feelz and a vision with so much potential! I recommend seeing it on the biggest screen you can in 3d.

When leaving the theatre I overheard a few people say, "I need to get into VR"

Oh and my partner now wants a VR rig ... FML ... there goes the new house fund.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)

Comments

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,395
    Project 2501
    I listened to the audiobook.......TWICE!  IN ONE WEEK!

Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow!!!
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,429 Volunteer Moderator
    Digikid1 said:
    I listened to the audiobook.......TWICE!  IN ONE WEEK!

Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow!!!
    It's a LOT of fun!
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 784
    3Jane
    Im not gonna watch it till it´s released on other medias, but im definately looking forward to watch it.
     A friend of mine who tried my rift a month ago came by the other day and talked about the movie and how it was all about VR and since he had enjoyed those sessions with rift, he was gonna se it at the premiere.

That´s why I really love your last comment @LZoltowski , VR is really getting through to mainstream by now. We have some exiting years ahead of us.

Personally I feel like I have lived during the most exciting period of mankind. At the age of 44, I have experienced the birth of the personal computer that turned into an entertainment center. The internet and VR. The list could go on ...

My focus left a bit .. Thing is, I love Spielberg and what he have done for the evolution of technology through his films, this might be his last movie, so im sure it´s packed with references, as you mention as well in op.
    Be good, die great !
    KlodsBrik said:
    Im not gonna watch it till it´s released on other medias, but im definately looking forward to watch it.
     A friend of mine who tried my rift a month ago came by the other day and talked about the movie and how it was all about VR and since he had enjoyed those sessions with rift, he was gonna se it at the premiere.

That´s why I really love your last comment @LZoltowski , VR is really getting through to mainstream by now. We have some exiting years ahead of us.

Personally I feel like I have lived during the most exciting period of mankind. At the age of 44, I have experienced the birth of the personal computer that turned into an entertainment center. The internet and VR. The list could go on ...

My focus left a bit .. Thing is, I love Spielberg and what he have done for the evolution of technology through his films, this might be his last movie, so im sure it´s packed with references, as you mention as well in op.
    Hope you get to enjoy it soon :) It's so much fun/

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,284 Power Poster
    edited March 30

I plan to watch it based on (VR) principal alone. So far I have mixed feelings about the overall approach to showing the world what VR can achieve via a big screen film.

Personally, I would have preferred the first big budget VR movie to be a bit less...

And a bit more...

Na' mean?

But in the end I can't complain. The movie has received positive reception overall. And hopefully now, finally, we can stop reading clickbait taglines about VR being a fad or struggling to go mainstream.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Zenbane said:

I plan to watch it based on (VR) principal alone. So far I have mixed feelings about the overall approach to showing the world what VR can achieve via a big screen film.

Personally, I would have preferred the first big budget VR movie to be a bit less...

And a bit more...

Na' mean?

But in the end I can't complain. The movie has received positive reception overall. And hopefully now, finally, we can stop reading clickbait taglines about VR being a fad or struggling to go mainstream.

I think you will find it's less Elsa and more a VR MMO :)

• Rob_In_PhoenixRob_In_Phoenix Posts: 290
    Nexus 6
    From what I gather about the reviews, it's an 80's Easter egg hunt.  For that reason alone, I'm interested.  A bit like the Technolust references. 
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,395
    Project 2501
    Enjoyed the movie quite a bit. 

Oh and whoever said there was Voltron in it....sry but that’s wrong.....it was just a Gundam. Still cool though. 
    Digikid1 said:
    Enjoyed the movie quite a bit. 

Oh and whoever said there was Voltron in it....sry but that’s wrong.....it was just a Gundam. Still cool though. 
    Gundam was baddass, I almost got up to applaud.

• SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    3Jane
    its on my list to watch but will have to wait till after pacific rim 2 and deadpool 2. Those movies have way higher priority haha.
  • SimonSays28SimonSays28 Posts: 576
    Neo
    edited April 10
    I am looking forward to seeing it - but I am a little wary. I mean as far as his new stuff goes - for every Bridge of Spies or Munich, there is a War of the Worlds or The Terminal.

Also Indy 4 was one of the biggest let downs ever - I mean I could even forgive the Alien thing, but that swinging on the vines scene was absolutely terrible. I remember walking out of the theatre laughing for all the wrong reasons.

That said he is one of my favourite directors - Duel, The Indy Trilogy, Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, etc. are all films that I have watched more than a handful of times each.

I will likely wait for the Blu-ray release of this to watch it (in VR on Big Screen, lol).
    Check out my band at http://theheavyjack3.bandcamp.com/ - our entire discography has been released for free download.

edited April 10
    its on my list to watch but will have to wait till after pacific rim 2 and deadpool 2. Those movies have way higher priority haha.
    Pacific Rim 2 is everything you expect it to be, I mean its not trying to be intellectual, its just giant robots smashing giant monsters and other giant robots though buildings in glorious CGI :)

Enjoyed it on a huge IMAX screen, jaw-dropping fight sequences.

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,118
    Wintermute

The movie ticked a lot of the right boxes for me, it is 70% CGI animation (think all the best CGI cut scenes from games like Diablo, Overwatch Mini series, Halo, Final Fantasy, GTA etc) and 30% Live action with that Steven Spielberg twist. The movie requires at least two further viewings to spot all the nods to pop and gaming culture.

• Interesting was the use of VR tech that is already in development today, Omni floors for movement, haptic feedback suits, motion chairs etc
    • The movie uses a clever way for facial expressions to be transferred to the VR world with something that is the same tech as the iphone X laser 3d camera and Animoji.. which makes me feel that tech will imitate art on this one pretty soon and we will see this implemented in future HMDs
    • This makes the tech in the movie a bit dated for where it is set 2044. Many of the headsets look like Gear VR or DK1 !!!
    • There are 3 scenes where the VIVE logo is used, I think Oculus really missed a huge opportunity here.
    • The movie has many laugh out loud scenes that will only make sense to gamers, esp RPG and fantasy players.
    • There is an excellent Stanley Kubrick tribute in the middle of the movie which made me smile from ear to ear through the whole thing.
    • The entire thing is a gamers nirvana, with clever nods to the way we play games and how involved we can get in them
    • Entire economies exist because of VR in this movie, with people making money from mods and content creation, I see this happening more and more in VR, people already make money from mods in 2d games, so it's a natural progression.

I give the movie 8/10 .. its a lot of fun, a  lot of nostalgia feelz and a vision with so much potential! I recommend seeing it on the biggest screen you can in 3d.

I finally saw this yesterday. I'm a home theater enthusiast with a projector etc so I rarely watch movies at the theater anymore. I wait for the Bluray release.

I wasn't expecting a good movie but I loved it! It's like targeted perfectly to me, a gamer who grew up in the Atari age. The Kubrick tribute was absolutely spectacular. 

It's definitely a must watch if you're a gamer who grew up on Atari or if you're just a gamer. I don't know if anyone else would get it. I just love how it brings together the past of gaming and the future of gaming so beautifully. We went from Atari to VR.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 914
    3Jane
    MowTin said:

I finally saw this yesterday. I'm a home theater enthusiast with a projector etc so I rarely watch movies at the theater anymore. I wait for the Bluray release.

I wasn't expecting a good movie but I loved it! It's like targeted perfectly to me, a gamer who grew up in the Atari age. The Kubrick tribute was absolutely spectacular. 

It's definitely a must watch if you're a gamer who grew up on Atari or if you're just a gamer. I don't know if anyone else would get it. I just love how it brings together the past of gaming and the future of gaming so beautifully. We went from Atari to VR.
    I thought I was the only one to wait months for the discs - just got the Blu-Ray 3D version and saw it on the plasma with the wife and my 10-year-old son, we all loved the movie. Feels like Spielberg hasn't lost his touch, E.T. is probably still my favorite. 

Fun thing, I really wasn't impressed by the Oasis - I kept thinking we've already got similar experiences on the Rift (like Lone Echo, like seeing yourself in the mirror in Wilson's Heart for the first time, like seeing your body, arms and hands in MPU), but I liked the full body suit ;-)

Not sure it's realistic that no one tried to drive backwards and solve the first puzzle (in 5 years) - but loved when The Shining was included. I'd rate the movie 9/10 - and I rarely rate movies that high. 

Now I'm looking forward to watch Infinity War, Solo and more!  :blush:  
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,051 Valuable Player

I'm still not 100% sure how much I liked it... I need to watch it again maybe.

I won't give any spoilers but a recreations of a certain favourite movie of mine was superb and I was hoping for more of the film to match the atmosphere being created there.... I think that's what sums up VR for me, recreating atmospheres.

But for me it kind of skipped through too many things for me to get a sense of depth, almost like a commercial for VR... and as I already know what VR offers, I don't really need a hard sell, I just need escapism and atmosphere. Still a very good movie and I love the eighties references, there's something about that decade!

Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,512
    Wintermute
    edited August 11
    I feel the movie totally missed the mark if you where to compare it to the book. A major disappointment. They changed the plot and the main reasons the book became successful in the first place. Another Hollywood sterile gloss over. All the dark undertones and interesting non action story elements where completely lost.

The use of VR technology in the film was just plain stupid. Did you see those people running through the street fighting in VR. Erm what happens when you hit a wall in reality or a car runs you over? Plus what the hell where they wearing. please god I was hoping at least the CV2 would be out that far in the future. What the hell were they thinking.

If you were to take your kids to see it as a piece of chewing gum for the eyes on a Saturday afternoon then yeah it was mildly enjoyable and fun. 

Please Mr Spielberg stay away from Snowcrash and Neuromancer, I don't think I could take it.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,118
    Wintermute
    Yeah, I heard that book fans hate it for not being true to the book. But the screenplay was written by the book author. A lot of people don't understand that a book has to be changed to become a movie. Imagine making a play out of a book. Could you possibly keep everything in the book? Of course not. 

Imagine trying to make a single 2 hour movie out of Game of Thrones. You would have to change a lot to make it fit.

I didn't read the book so for me the movie was just awesome. I watched it twice in 2 days. Today my brother and his kids were over so I watched it a second time. I enjoyed it even more the second time. I caught lots of references I missed the first time.

Also, the movie makes me realize what VR is missing. It's missing being able to play together in an open world. VR needs an open world because reality is an open world. Reality is a shared open world so VR has to offer a shared open world adventure.

What VR needs is an open world Marvel Powers United.  
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,039 Valuable Player
    edited August 12

Was on a transatlantic flight this week and so had time to finally watch the film a couple of times, just to get acquainted. I was also lucky to be one of the early readers of the first print run of the book, so it was interesting to view the juxtaposition.

To be frank the film is a pedestrian piece of work with some interesting touches - and the finger-marks of the Spielberg style are clearly visible, even if they are a bit smudged.

The acting is also a bit flat, but many of the CGi elements are nice – but seem more a product placement extravaganza, than the retro homage of the original books storyline.

For me the interesting issues of how difficult it was to license certain characters and IP, how the VR video game aspirations had to be side-lined, and a lacklustre VR arcade release via VivePort Arcade, speaks volumes of the mess this film became.

Fascinating that 60% of its gross box-office was from the Asian/China release, with a quite subdued 40% box-office from the West. It is clear this film did not meet expectations – though still turned a strong profit, with DVD gross to be factored in later.

It was strange to see how the proposed partnership with OVR was superseded for that with HTC and Infinadeck - the latter getting screentime in the film.

The revelation that Spielberg used Vive's to map out virtual camera positioning and scene placement was a big feather in the platforms cap. That Spielberg had originally been close to OVR, begs the question what caused the split?

Also, the question about why OVR did not align themselves with this film (marketing, promotion, etc.,) seem interesting - especially as previously all new employees to Oculus had been handed a free copy of the book? A signed copy from the author a treasured memento for one of the founders.

Least certain of the ex-founders of the company were invited to the premier B)

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    I feel the movie totally missed the mark if you where to compare it to the book. A major disappointment. They changed the plot and the main reasons the book became successful in the first place. Another Hollywood sterile gloss over. All the dark undertones and interesting non action story elements where completely lost.

The use of VR technology in the film was just plain stupid. Did you see those people running through the street fighting in VR. Erm what happens when you hit a wall in reality or a car runs you over? Plus what the hell where they wearing. please god I was hoping at least the CV2 would be out that far in the future. What the hell were they thinking.

If you were to take your kids to see it as a piece of chewing gum for the eyes on a Saturday afternoon then yeah it was mildly enjoyable and fun.

I never read the book. I rented the film recently on Amazon. I thought it was a good movie (setting aside my VR bias).

It was cool to see certain franchises in there, like Blanka from Street Fighter. Once I let my VR bias step in, I get annoyed by things like... "this is why people think VR is all about gaming." And yes, people running blindly in to the streets wearing an HMD was quite silly; although isn't that what Mixed Reality is supposed to let us do? Some recent info leaks about the Oculus Santa Cruz lets people wear their HMD and walk around, so it isn't necessarily "plain stupid." It was corny and cheesy, but not unintelligent.

Approaching the film without any preconceived notions or expectations, it was well made. It has a decent Critic and Community score on Rotten Tomatoes:

I wouldn't call it a worlwide box office hit, and it does seem to be aimed at a younger audience. But it certainly wasn't terrible either.
    Wintermute
    As mentioned before it is the same way the film industry treated computers when they first came out.

IE War Games, Electric Dreams or Superman 3.

I guess we just have to bite on our knuckles until the general public catch up. Usually punching a wall full power while in super hot underlines the physical realities of it pretty succinctly. 

This is not the first movie that is centered on virtual reality though. There have been far more provocative ones in the past. Like Videodrome in 1983.

• shadowfroggershadowfrogger Posts: 502
    Trinity
    edited August 12
    Totally disagree with the comment with using the excuse of changing the story of the book to suit the film.  Certain things have to be changed, but when you change 80% of the characters and story just to make it more appealing to the masses. It's the worst thing in the world, I don't have anything in particular against the film. I just wished they didn't name it after the book.  Now the real story of the book will have to wait a decade for a remake of the film.

Hollywood have done some good book adaptations recently, e.g hunger games, gone girl, girl with a dragon tattoo(u.s version). I was kinda hoping they were over taking a book and converting it to a mass market appealing movie. Bring truthful to the book can still have mass market appeal. They absolutely ruined ghost in the shell.

Visit my amateur homegrown indie game company website!
    http://www.gaming-disorder.com/
    edited August 12
    Totally disagree with the comment with using the excuse of changing the story of the book to suit the film.  Certain things have to be changed, but when you change 80% of the characters and story just to make it more appealing to the masses. It's the worst thing in the world, I don't have anything in particular against the film. I just wished they didn't name it after the book.  Now the real story of the book will have to wait a decade for a remake of the film.

Hollywood have done some good book adaptations recently, e.g hunger games, gone girl, girl with a dragon tattoo(u.s version). I was kinda hoping they were over taking a book and converting it to a mass market appealing movie. Bring truthful to the book can still have mass market appeal. They absolutely ruined ghost in the shell.

I tend to agree, but I also can't help but blame "the general public" for this.

Take a look at the Walking Dead as one example. Every time that the show deviated from the Comic, the show got stronger. Characters that either didn't actually exist in the Comic (Daryl) or died early (Carol) ended up becoming stronger in the show due to the deviation. And what happened when the show stuck to the comics by killing off both Abraham and Glenn? Fans went apeshit.

Glenn's death to Negan's bat was picture perfect with the comic. Next thing you know, fans are publicly announcing that they are no longer going to watch:

The backlash was absurd (I even recall talks of lawsuits against AMC for the Negan violence). It got so bad that AMC changed the rest of the show, and if anyone has ever watched it then you know that things became horrible thereafter in terms of entertainment, plot, and overall character depth:

The fact is that the general public can't handle when the art found in literature truly makes it to the big screen. Writing in itself is an art form, and trying to translate that to the screen is a daunting task. When it happens, the average Derp's mind implodes.

Look at the Avengers: Infinity War as another shining example. In the comic, Thanos murdered half the universe in order to impress Death (a woman) because he was in love with her. There's no way in hell the world would have wanted to see that plot-line at all. Instead we get an epic film based on Thanos' commitment to creating balance in the universe. It works much better for the masses and becomes a box office hit.

I tend to view the general public a bit harshly. I believe that people, in general, are inherently stupid. They don't read. So there is no real benefit to directly translating literary works of art to film.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,658 Volunteer Moderator
    Electric Dreams

Oh god no, I've been trying to repress all memory of that movie. :(

Zenbane said:
    This is not the first movie that is centered on virtual reality though. There have been far more provocative ones in the past. Like Videodrome in 1983.

Early 3D Head prototype? :)

Videodrome was cool.

I like Existenz. Fish gun!
    Wintermute
    edited August 13
    Yeah existenz good movie.see that’s how you do it.

And of of course the 13th floor classic

edited August 13
    13th floor is actually fantastic, 

Let's not forget the Lawnmower man! .. 

I guess I enjoyed RPO .. because .. I didn't read the book then I guess, people expect way too much "realism" out of what is sci-fi / fantasy ... (science FICTION). Plus as Zenbane has mentioned ... THE BOOOK AUTHOR co-wrote the screenplay, go and complain to him and not to "Hollywood", clearly he had a different idea for the movie. 

Speaking of "blockbuster" numbers, we have been slightly spoiled when it comes to figures with the complete flood of superheroes, remakes and reboots. 

$582,018,455 mill for a non-franchise, non-sequel book adaptation is a pretty great success, and it will get a sequel.

And before I finish my rant, not a single Stephen King book movie adaptation has been 100% faithful to source material. (well one or two, but there are like 50)

The Shining for example, Kubrick butchered the source material and Stephen King was famously furious with him for it. Almost all supernatural elements were removed by Kubrick. Plus the movie didn't do very well in the cinemas, it made a profit but was not stellar, now it's a "classic".

Wintermute
    But as a counter argument RP1 sucks balls
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,051 Valuable Player
    edited August 13

Brainstorm released around the same time a Videodrome, it was the Oculus vs Vive of the time.

I preferred the hardware level geekyness of the Brainstorm system over the lack of control of the Videodrome transmissions. Although Vive had Debbie Harry, I mean Videodrome.

Then there was the Flatliners approach of having near death experiences through technology.... Pimax if you will.

Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 490 Poster of the Week
    Lawnmower Man was the best interpretation of VR - cool immersive .. God like - I haven't read all this post but I did see RP1 and again it was a gimmick take on many levels, guess we will have to wait for the VR film made in VR and experienced in VR till then.. Im happy in my VR world :) 

Brainstorm released around the same time a Videodrome, it was the Oculus vs Vive of the time.

I preferred the hardware level geekyness of the Brainstorm system over the lack of control of the Videodrome transmissions. Although Vive had Debbie Harry, I mean Videodrome.

Then there was the Flatliners approach of having near death experiences through technology.... Pimax if you will.

Heh forgot about Brainstorm! Very interesting concept.

Funilly enough Inception could be classed as VR, the human brain being the computer here to construct virtual reality.

I also like the use of VR in the Altered Carbon series on Netflix.