New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Where did my screensaver go?

FaithTheSlayerFaithTheSlayer Posts: 21
Brain Burst
edited March 2018 in Support
After using Oculus I find my screensaver will no longer display and the only way to get it to display again is to reboot. I know I dont need a screensaver but I really enjoy mine for kicks, please help!

Comments

• FaithTheSlayerFaithTheSlayer Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    *Bump
    Brain Burst
    *Bump
  • lag0maticlag0matic Posts: 142
    Art3mis
    I noticed that my monitors do not sleep with the Oculus software running. Close the software, and see if the screensaver comes back up? I'm betting that because the Oculus software stays active it prevents the screensaver. 
    Brain Burst
    I ran some experiments. First I (on a fresh boot) only started up bigscreen and then spent some time in there, quit the app and returned to dash then turned the software off. Saver still worked. I looked at the task manager and everything was as it should be, I'm thinking that maybe a game or some other apps I normally use dont fully close? Because It doesn't seem to be the oculus software after all as I thought.
    Art3mis
    Depending on your GPU, you could grab something like MSI afterburner.  When the GPU is idle (Fresh boot, desktop) you should see the GPU clocks drop very low, something like 200mhz or lower.  Then try running a game, and letting the system go back to what should be idle after that (Home closed, no games running, no chrome, etc) and see what the clocks are? It could be as you think, something makes the system thing the GPU is still being used, in which case, the system will not go into screen saver or lower power mode.

Brain Burst
    Thanks! I'll try some more things out and post updates.
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 789
    3Jane
    The monitor on the PC I use with the Rift hasn't gone to sleep or displayed a screensaver since the day I installed the Oculus software. Doesn't matter if I use the headset or not after starting the machine. The background Oculus software seems to prevent the sleep function in Windows 10. I've run it on two completely different PC's, this occurred on both.
    Art3mis
    My monitors will sleep just fine, once I shut the oculus software off,  I use windows 10 pro, 388.35 (I think?) Nvidia drivers.

Brain Burst
    I tried a few things and the issue came back but this time I was able to solve it. I found that by either shutting off the oculus service or closing them in task manager both did the job, That's not to say that its always the culprit as it could be other software as mentioned above. Thanks for all the help guys! :smile:
    Art3mis
    Glad you at least found the source of the issue!
    Brain Burst
    Thanks!