How to trick the Oculus Store into thinking you're using Windows 10 ? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

How to trick the Oculus Store into thinking you're using Windows 10 ?

HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,275
3Jane
edited March 2018 in General
Two years anniversary, and almost two years of Oculus Store WRONGLY not letting you download "Windows 10 exclusive" titles on a Windows 7/8 PC, where over 90% of those titles run fine (because they happen to not be exclusive to Windows 10 to begin with, as CORRECTLY listed on EVERY other purchase platform, such as Steam)...

And I started complaining about this ~2 years ago : The Oculus Store team moves for nobody, not even when it's the developer asking/begging to have that incorrect and harmful OS requirement removed from his very own title (as some developers have answered me, when I contacted them about fixing their own Oculus Store OS requirement, which as it turns out they are not allowed to go fix by themselves).

So at this point there's only one solution I can think of that WOULD instantly fix this nonsense : Do you know of a software, that will trick the Oculus Store into thinking I'm using Windows 10 ?

PS : Forget about answering "Windows 10", you know a dozen other Smart Alecks said it before you.

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,398 Valuable Player
    Honestly you REALLY shouldn't be using Windows 7 these days. It hasn't had a security update in YEARS. Just install Windows 10, it's great once you use something to remove the in-built spying features.

I'm surprised you didn't update for free when it was available to do so a couple of years ago tbh.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited March 2018
    The Windows 10 requirement on the store is a developer controlled option. Meaning, if a game requires Windows 10 on the store, it is because the developer purposefully (or mistakenly) picked the Win 10 OS requirement option. To fix this, the developer could submit a new build with the proper options selected, or contact us to see if we can help.

Are you having a problem with a particular game? I thought there was just a warning message that said you need Windows 10, but you could close it and continue. Is this not the case?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,019
    Wintermute
    snowdog said:
    Honestly you REALLY shouldn't be using Windows 7 these days. It hasn't had a security update in YEARS. Just install Windows 10, it's great once you use something to remove the in-built spying features.

I'm surprised you didn't update for free when it was available to do so a couple of years ago tbh.

To be fair to the OP..........

Windows 7 is still listed on the main Rift page at Oculus as the "RECOMMENDED" OS. (not minimum)
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,863 Valuable Player
    Get yourself Windows 10 and just install Spybot Anti-beacon. Beats me why so many people are against Windows 10 when it's the best Windows OS to date. That's with all the spying stuff snowdog mentioned already, but it's so easy to do. You just uncheck eveything while installing or in the settings..

• HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,275
    3Jane
    Are you having a problem with a particular game? I thought there was just a warning message that said you need Windows 10, but you could close it and continue. Is this not the case?
    Here's my problem : Oculus Store will allow me to purchase, but not download, Windows 8+ titles on a Windows 7 computer. And that's not a bug it's a feature (stated in the Oculus Store FAQ).

Why do most of those Windows  8+ exclusives work fine on Windows 7 ? Typically because the developer has (permanently) switched all his Windows 7 licenses into free Windows 10 licenses, so he has no Windows 7 platform left to test his VR title on.

My current workaround : I gave up contacting each developer (most of which don't even have a discussion forum, since the Oculus Store doesn't provide them a default one), and instead buy them from Steam.

What I'm asking for :
    1) Hide in the depths of the Oculus Store settings, a "Allow apps with higher OS requirement to be downloaded" option, next to the "Allow apps that have not been reviewed by Oculus to run on Rift" option.
    2) And while you're at it, also hide a "Display Windows 10 recommendation when entering VR" option, next to the "Display health and safety notifications when entering VR". Because it took us a year to get rid of that annoying blue band with health and safety notifications (after workarounds appeared explaining how to get rid of it yourself), that has now been replaced by that equally (if not more) annoying same blue band but this time with a windows 10 OS recommendation...

Yes I understand Windows 10 is the path to the future (so was Windows 8, which I skipped anyway)... but in the meantime the latest Steam survey will inform you that OVER 75% OF STEAM USERS DO NOT USE WINDOWS 10 (and that was despite a ~free upgrade launch for Windows 10).
    3Jane
    edited April 2018
    One week later I'm still looking for that hack.

And please don't answer I should try contacting Support : Oculus Store Support is a joke, and April Fool's day is over.

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,839 Valuable Player
    Or...maybe...just maybe.....UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10. 

Seriously why are you resisting it so much?  It’s a good OS. 
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    I remember the same happening with XP with those who just wouldn't let go.

The funny thing to me is the resistance was due to Vista which did come out of the gates quite badly due to compatibility issues but what many don't seem to realise is 7 = Vista SP3, they had to kill the Vista name as it was trashed.

We are now in the same loop as people didn't like 8 so are refusing to move the the massively refined 8 known as 10
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • SerVitorSerVitor Posts: 122
    Art3mis
    to be fair  the Oculus store should let win 7 users dl win10 apps/games if they want.  There should be an override option.   Sprint Vector works on win 7 no problem (confirmed on steam forums) 

A lot of Oculus supporters locked out of entering the  weekend competition because of this :(
    i5-4690k 16 gig Ram Win 7 64bit 8 gig ZOTAC AMP EDITION GTX1080
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,502 Valuable Player
    Its not the store that is stopping you from downloading it.
    It is the developer that said Win 10 only.
    Cyber has explained this in several trends including this one.
    WAAAGH!
    3Jane
    Morgrum said:
    Its not the store that is stopping you from downloading it.
    It is the developer that said Win 10 only.
    Cyber has explained this in several trends including this one.
    The Oculus Store is 100% responsible for any and all of the code that is actively stopping me from downloading it, as demonstrated by the Steam platform where the same title is also listed as a Windows 10 exclusive, that I can go download anyway.

Denying that fact as you just did, is denying reality itself.

And Oculus VR is also 100% responsible for choosing to partner with a developer that doesn't actively support the CV1's minimum requirement for their 2nd anniversary event, turning it into (yet another) PR blunder.

What's next : Adding more code to the Oculus Store to actively block out Windows 10 users with a GTX 960 GPU ?

...... I bet you think The Titanic was an inside job too.

WAAAGH!
  • lag0maticlag0matic Posts: 142
    Art3mis
    Since you seem to struggle to grasp the concept that you're using and outdated, older operating system, with a vastly smaller user base among rift owners. I've put together this little infographic.  Notice the highlighted area, that I tried to make obvious, so that even you can find it. 
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,721 Volunteer Moderator
    @lag0matic, I tried that, even with a link ... "fake news" apparently.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    lag0matic said:
    Since you seem to struggle to grasp the concept that you're using and outdated, older operating system, with a vastly smaller user base among rift owners. I've put together this little infographic.  Notice the highlighted area, that I tried to make obvious, so that even you can find it. 

So what that chart is saying is that 89% of folks use intel CPU's?
    WAAAGH!
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,380 Valuable Player
    edited April 2018
    Morgrum said:
    lag0matic said:

No, he’s pointing out that 41.1% of users use “other” CPUs, so clearly Oculus is ignoring a huge contingent of Xeon Quad owners who are being shut out by the compatibility test.  ...something something mafia tactics. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    Oh Snap!
    WAAAGH!
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,721 Volunteer Moderator
    nalex66 said:
    Morgrum said:
    lag0matic said:

No, he’s pointing out that 41.1% of users use “other” CPUs, so clearly Oculus is ignoring a huge contingent of Xeon Quad owners who are being shut out by the compatibility test.  ...something something mafia tactics. 
    lol

modern family gif lsat GIF
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • SimonSays28SimonSays28 Posts: 578
    Neo
    I actually prefer Windows 10 - and can't stand using my Win7 work computer. It is worth the upgrade.
    Check out my band at http://theheavyjack3.bandcamp.com/ - our entire discography has been released for free download.

nalex66 said:
    Morgrum said:
    lag0matic said:

lol

modern family gif lsat GIF

That's so Mafia!
    WAAAGH!
    3Jane
    Then I can only conclude Oculus VR made the right choice when they decided to alienate 5% of their user base, when they could have just as easily chosen to alienate none.

I mean imagine 5% of Oculus VR employees no getting paid... that would still make it fair, smart and smug for 95% of their workforce : Oculus VR should do that too, so 5% of their employees can taste a piece of the shit pie they are handing out to 5% of their customers.
  • lag0maticlag0matic Posts: 142
    Art3mis
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,398 Valuable Player
    @Cyril You haven't answered this question yet unless I've missed it - WHY are you still using a 9 year old OS with security holes like a sieve?

I can't for the life of me understand why ANYONE would continue to Windows 7 these days. There's no sense of this AT ALL. :|
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    So Oculus looks after customers by not letting them download software which the developer says doesn't support the OS of the user.

Steam lets you download if it will work or not...

Unfortunately a lot of people do need protection form themselves.

So why can't you just upgrade to windows 10, rather than getting mad at world because you haven't upgraded.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,739 Valuable Player
    Cyril said:
    Then I can only conclude Oculus VR made the right choice when they decided to alienate 5% of their user base, when they could have just as easily chosen to alienate none.

I mean imagine 5% of Oculus VR employees no getting paid... that would still make it fair, smart and smug for 95% of their workforce : Oculus VR should do that too, so 5% of their employees can taste a piece of the shit pie they are handing out to 5% of their customers.

If 5% of their workforce wasn't getting paid there'd be a lawsuit going on.  This has nothing to do with your issue.  If you were somehow trying to make some connection to consumers.  I suppose the employees wouldn't stay where they were dissatisfied and they'd leave.  Not getting paid would certainly not be satisfying.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 609
    Neo
    Windows 10 Pro can be bought for less than £20 online...
    Buy it, install it as dual boot, get the games you want in W10 and play on your W7 boot...

May have to copy some save games around if you actually used both, but no great problem in doing so.

Just a suggestion :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
    3Jane
    snowdog said:
    @Cyril You haven't answered this question yet unless I've missed it - WHY are you still using a 9 year old OS with security holes like a sieve?
    As far as security related reasons go : I feel more secure with having my own up to date firewalls and anti-virus software on my outdated Windows 7, then having the same up to date firewalls and anti-virus software on an OS that has been designed from the ground up to bypass them.

But I guess a dual-boot (or preferably two separate computers) makes sense : I'll be sure to put Windows 10 on my next gaming computer, but I won't be buying one until the next generation of VR headsets comes out (because I'll be buying a next generation motherboard/CPU for it).

There's your answer : Oculus VR can turn Windows 10 into a CV2 requirement, if only because Microsoft will never put DX12 on Windows 7, but also because I could choose to buy another VR headset brand anyway, but don't change the CV1 requirements halfway through it's (short enough) lifespan.