New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Post your Skyrim VR reviews and impressions and discussion here.

Comments

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,424 Valuable Player
    That is a shame, I know on the rare occasion I have felt ill, it is something you cannot push through and takes a while to recover from.

You may want to check your fps in Skyrim (whilst outside) . It may be worth investing in a better graphics card if it is low, as mentioned before.

Personally I do not want to lose any of my mods. I have a 780TI and my fps can be bad at times depending on where I am in the game but luckily I am pretty good with motion sickness. I am trying to hold out as long as possible to get the best card when the new headset generation comes out.

I have though recently been tempted with upgrading to a 1080TI.

• PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 270
    Nexus 6
    Brixmis said:
    Well, I got my first problem already last night - I tried to start a second instance of MO2 for Skyrim SE and now I can't get back to the VR version (in MO2).

I'll have a play around later, see what I can coax out of it.

I used to have a cast iron stomach, too, but with the nerve damage and the amount of hefty meds I'm on (without which I can't do anything) it all went pear-shaped. I first found out when I went on a simple fairground ride in 1997, having had no issues ever with anything and within minutes I was throwing up all over the joint. Now it's just a suck it and see approach to everything.

Sounds like you may have accidentally used the same Profile for both installs. Make sure you always setup a different profile for each game. You can actually have different/multiple profiles for the same game if needed, to try out different mod combinations...etc
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1909
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details in a year or two...
    Nexus 6
    That is a shame, I know on the rare occasion I have felt ill, it is something you cannot push through and takes a while to recover from.

You may want to check your fps in Skyrim (whilst outside) . It may be worth investing in a better graphics card if it is low, as mentioned before.

Personally I do not want to lose any of my mods. I have a 780TI and my fps can be bad at times depending on where I am in the game but luckily I am pretty good with motion sickness. I am trying to hold out as long as possible to get the best card when the new headset generation comes out.

I have though recently been tempted with upgrading to a 1080TI.

Are you actually running a 780ti for VR? Didn't think it possible. Or is it a 980ti?
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1909
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details in a year or two...
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,376 Valuable Player
    Mine's a 1060 6GB. There will be no opportunity for me to upgrade for the foreseeable future. In 5 years my mortgage is finally paid off - maybe then. I only have a crappy pension as income.

A short while ago I was offered a used 1080 - but even used, it was well beyond what I could pay and was actually more than I have ever paid for a new card. Most I've paid was £300 for an XT1950XTX, not long before the 8800 came out. Did serve me well, though, for several years, until the fabulous and incredibly good value HD4870 came out. Was so much better than my 1950 and yet cost £100 less.

edited December 2018
    Wow, guys, something very weird just happened with MO2.

I decided to have another look and try running two instances. It had basically ditched my SkyrimVR modding set-up and was now doing SkyrimSE instead. It showed the list of mods I'd had installed in VR as "archived". So, not wanting to waste space, I went and deleted the archive folder with all those mods in it (I checked that was all that was in it).

I then made a second instance of MO2, for SkyrimVR.

I still didn't know how to run a particuler one - SE or VR and there was only one version shown in the drop-down menu (where LOOT is as well). So I double-clicked on the desktop shortcut and Windows tells me that program is no longer at the stated location. I went to look, and MO2 has completely disappeared from my PC. I slowly checked all 6 installed hard drives and it's nowhere to be found! Gobsmacked. :o

I don't mind starting from scratch with a fresh install of MO2, but wtf happened? Also, I'm hoping there won't be any dregs to mess up future efforts.

Edit: Look what I just found in appdata:

Both folders have full profiles in them. Think I'll simply reinstall MO2 and I'm sure it will find these (well I hope so, anyway). Wish me luck!

**after starting a new copy of MO2 portable, it's all working perfectly for both SE and VR versions :smiley:

Nexus 6
    That is very strange, glad you got it sorted. It's probably a bug.
    Nexus 6
    Brixmis said:
    Mine's a 1060 6GB. There will be no opportunity for me to upgrade for the foreseeable future. In 5 years my mortgage is finally paid off - maybe then. I only have a crappy pension as income.

A short while ago I was offered a used 1080 - but even used, it was well beyond what I could pay and was actually more than I have ever paid for a new card. Most I've paid was £300 for an XT1950XTX, not long before the 8800 came out. Did serve me well, though, for several years, until the fabulous and incredibly good value HD4870 came out. Was so much better than my 1950 and yet cost £100 less.

You should be okay with the 1060, but I would recommend minimizing your Skyrim VR mod count to about 40 or so to be safe (texture mods should be fine for you if you always choose the 2k version at most). You're nauseous feeling is most likely what I mentioned earlier...fps is varying to much...and you being much more sensitive to it now.
    I'll try and get an FPS counter up to give it a check in VR. My SE game is working very well - especially with all the mods.
    Unfortunately, as I didn't know the key controls, I found myself twice jumping back to the last autosave, which was a bit frustrating, but I got a keyguide now, so I can set my gaming mouse profile up.

I started as an Elf this time - cos it said they are good archers. I did take a screenie of my character, but can't find it anywhere.

I seem to be left-handed in the game, but can't find where to change that. The game is also playing in a full screen window, and I don't seem to be able to change that either - I'll see what Google comes up with.

• rh_galaxyrh_galaxy Posts: 132 Oculus Start Member
    Maybe I'm wanting too much, but I'm seeing small stutters/hickups during turning. I wan't to know if others are seeing the same... note that you must be a very observant person to see this...

It seems it's not a frame rate problem, have no frames lost and a lot of headroom with my 1080ti. Also there are never hickups while just looking around with my head and not moving the character with the thumbsticks.

What happens is that turning-movement (and maybe walking movement also, but that's not as noticeable) is not totally smooth, perhaps once every 1-3 sec while holding the thumbstick in a slow constant turn, there is a hickup, like it moves too much or too little during a single frame, then it gets smooth again, until the next hickup.

I'm using xbox controller, but it is the same with oculus touch.

This is annoying, and I'm just wondering if others are noticing the same thing, and I'm hoping for a fix. There was a bug before patch 1.4 that turning sometimes in some places was way worse than what I describe here, but maybe they didn't fix it entirely...

If you try a slow constant turn, do you notice any hickup?
    Nexus 6
    rh_galaxy said:
    Maybe I'm wanting too much, but I'm seeing small stutters/hickups during turning. I wan't to know if others are seeing the same... note that you must be a very observant person to see this...

It seems it's not a frame rate problem, have no frames lost and a lot of headroom with my 1080ti. Also there are never hickups while just looking around with my head and not moving the character with the thumbsticks.

What happens is that turning-movement (and maybe walking movement also, but that's not as noticeable) is not totally smooth, perhaps once every 1-3 sec while holding the thumbstick in a slow constant turn, there is a hickup, like it moves too much or too little during a single frame, then it gets smooth again, until the next hickup.

This is annoying, and I'm just wondering if others are noticing the same thing, and I'm hoping for a fix. There was a bug before patch 1.4 that turning sometimes in some places was way worse than what I describe here, but maybe they didn't fix it entirely...

Are you playing with Steam VR with Skyrim VR? If so, I highly recommend getting OpenComposite for running Skyrim VR instead.

I switched to openComposite and my performance skyrocketed, without hickups or glitches.

Are you actually running a 780ti for VR? Didn't think it possible. Or is it a 980ti?
    Yeah seems to work fine, struggles a little when outside with Skyrim and Fallout VR. Still complexly playable though. I am due an upgrade though got this one when the Rift first came out. I am just was waiting for 2080TI price to come down a bit and a new headset to launch. 
    edited December 2018
    ...and to win the lottery... :p

I hadn't noticed any kind of stutter during turning (with Touch) but I'll keep an eye out for that now you mentioned it.

edited December 2018
    I was running through steamvr. I have now switched to OpenComposite, and problem solved... Seems it was a performance issue anyway, but not indicated as frame drops on steamvr frame timing charts when i tried that. steamvr should really fix this, the nr one most important thing is to never have glitches like this (when it is not a hardware performance issue), but seems people are having far worse problem than this with current steamvr...
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    rh_galaxy said:

Are you playing with Steam VR with Skyrim VR? If so, I highly recommend getting OpenComposite for running Skyrim VR instead.

I switched to openComposite and my performance skyrocketed, without hickups or glitches.

Great tip. Just try it in DCS & il2 & seems to work ok. Not sure if there is a performance boost but got rid of those annoying steamVR loading screens that pop up in some games. Only was a bit confused about the openapi.dll when i dropped it  into the game folder il2 did not load but when i put the original back it loaded but without steam vr. So this has me confused if it's actually necessary. 
    Nexus 6
    nrosko said:
    rh_galaxy said:

Great tip. Just try it in DCS & il2 & seems to work ok. Not sure if there is a performance boost but got rid of those annoying steamVR loading screens that pop up in some games. Only was a bit confused about the openapi.dll when i dropped it  into the game folder il2 did not load but when i put the original back it loaded but without steam vr. So this has me confused if it's actually necessary. 

Good to know. You should post your issue on Reddit page for OpenComposite so the Dev can look into it.
    Do you have IL-2 from Steam? I have the one from 1C store page and it uses SteamVR anyway, independantly of Steam. I'd like to be able to cut that out so I downloaded OpenComposite, too. I'll try it in the week (been fiddling with admin stuff all weekend and it's time to do some gaming, dammit!).

Neo
    Yes I have the steam version. DCS is not steam version though & that uses steamvr regardless so this little app fixes that. 
    nrosko said:

It should be named openvr_api.dll, and you have to try both 64 and 32 bit versions if it doesn't work/start with the first. Maybe that is why it failed but have no idea how it could work any differently with the original put back, you sure you didn't mix up the files?
    Nexus 6
    rh_galaxy said:
    nrosko said:

It should be named openvr_api.dll, and you have to try both 64 and 32 bit versions if it doesn't work/start with the first. Maybe that is why it failed but have no idea how it could work any differently with the original put back, you sure you didn't mix up the files?

What I do with my original and modded openvr_api.dll is add (backup) (with brackets) to the file name of the original. If I need to go back to the original then I instead just add backup (without brackets) to the modded version so I know the difference. Also, if you hover over the original with your mouse it will show you 'Company: Valve' in the details while the modded one doesn't show any company info. That way you will know what is the original and what is the modded one.

Hope this helps!!
    Neo
    rh_galaxy said:
    nrosko said:

Yep i'm sure. I think actually you don't need to drop those files in at all if you run the app. I'm going to try it with raceroom. 
  • loki1944loki1944 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Worst thing I have ever played. Beyond the cruddy graphics, the movement is bad, the bugs are worse with the clipping, and the inventory is a straight up nightmare. Another VR dud.
    Nexus 6
    You need to mod it to get it looking, playing great. Out of box vanilla version is not that pleasant.
  • Jake_DragonJake_Dragon Posts: 109
    Art3mis
    loki1944 said:
    Worst thing I have ever played. Beyond the cruddy graphics, the movement is bad, the bugs are worse with the clipping, and the inventory is a straight up nightmare. Another VR dud.
    https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition
    loki1944 said:
    Yeah that's what I thought when I first played the vanilla version. In the wagon on the way to get my head chopped off, I thought 'boy you is ugly'. I had Fallout 4 VR first and that was pretty slick looking out of the box and so was a bit of a shock. I thought there is no way I can play this.

Then I modded it and it was brilliant. The controls though just need getting used to. I think they are not that bad actually after a bit of practice.

So if you bought it, don't give up so soon. It really is worth a little effort to mod it.

edited December 2018
    I've just taken over Fort Barrow. Is there any way I can make this mine now? I suppose I'd need followers to help me defend it?

I'm still really struggling for storage space - mostly because I'm carrying heavy, steel weapons and good armour. I've had to ditch all the stuff I wanted to sell. I've used a large chest in the fort to store a lot of stuff, so I'm hoping that can't be stolen or otherwise disappear. I am using the pouches etc mod, but when at the blacksmith's forge despite seeming to have the right materials the option to make them doesn't appear.

Two things are bugging me:

1- Do I need to look after my horse? I brought him into the fort and tried to leave him in the stables, where there was water available in a trough - but I couldn't dismount there, so left him next to it instead.

2- I'm having issues reading books. Most of them just lift up into the air - it can be a real pain getting them to actually appear in front of me in reading fashion.

On the positive side, I just had a good half hour session with no sickness. I think that is now the best way to play this in VR - half an hour(ish) at a time.

1. Unlike red dead II you don't need to look after your horse.
    2. Reading books should have a different option (button) when you hover over them for reading instead of picking up.
    3. You wont need to defend the barrow. Once you killed it's occupant(s) it's all yours. Although you may get wandering creatures on the outside attacking.
    4. You will probably need a mod that lets you set up home anywhere rather than just the original homes you have to purchase.
    5. Nobody except you ever looks in chests so everything is safe and items do not disappear.

edited December 2018
    1-5 thanks very much! :)

oh, forgot - I do get the option to read, but it just picks the books up like any other object. If I spam the A button and wobble the book around - throw it up and catch it again, it will sometimes go to read mode. Otherwise I just have to leave them.
    Doesn't happen with every book - but does with most of them.

Hey! I found a mod for @snowdog :D

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/12556

Look at the screenshots!

Nexus 6
    Brixmis said:
    Hey! I found a mod for @snowdog :D

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/12556

Look at the screenshots!

LOL...just be aware, mods from original Skyrim may not work with Skyrim SE or Skyrim VR...unless they are ported over.
    edited December 2018
    I haven't used that mod - just saw a link to it somewhere else on Nexus and found the screenshots quite amusing.

I was trying to find out why my Immersive Wenches mod has an issue. It's no biggie if I can't get it to work, but I am curious about it. I've been in contact with a number of female mercenaries that have suddenly shown up at Whiterun, and though I'm keen to take a couple on, they are not so cheap. If Belethar had more cash to buy my loot, it wouldn't be an issue. I also found a young lady who I would like to "court" but I don't know how it's done. She has given me a side quest of finding a Mammoth horn, so I'm hoping that will get me in her good books! :)

I was very worried when I came out of the Fort Greymoor (finally got the name right) building, as I found the horse that I had left at the stables was gone. I thought he must have been stolen - but when I got back to Whiterun, there he was, at the stables where I had bought him.

I really like that horse - he's very cute, especially when I am fussing him - he seems to really enjoy having his face rubbed!