cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The best way to set up my Monitor

DTH
Heroic Explorer
I only have one monitor.  It is plugged into my 1060 graphics card via HDMI.  My Motherboard  (desktop) and card both have VGA. I only use the monitor for setups.  
If I plug in my monitor to my motherboard is goes dark.  If I plug in my monitor via a VGA cable  (finding my old one or going out and buying one)   Would it talk a load off of my 1060 and give me a better performance?  Not sure if and when I would/could get a 1080(TI)
2 REPLIES 2

lag0matic
Heroic Explorer
I would avoid VGA if you can at all.  Does your monitor even have a VGA port? Most are HDMI/DVI only now.  I'm shocked that your video card would have an VGA.  

The onboard graphics card (which is actually part of the processor) is most likely disabled when using an external video card, so there's a good chance that you couldn't use it even if you wanted.   Displaying a desktop is a pretty minimal system hit overall, I run two monitors one at 1440p, and one at 1080 + the rift from a 980TI 6gb card.  

DTH
Heroic Explorer
The 1060  has the HDMI I have both the Rift and the Desktop monitor are plugged into it.  The motherboard has the VGA.  I was just trying to improve my view in my Rift.  I will get the 1080.