GOLD RUSH FAILURE : Congratulations on choosing a FAKE Windows 10 exclusive — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

GOLD RUSH FAILURE : Congratulations on choosing a FAKE Windows 10 exclusive

HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,275
3Jane
I don't know which part is the best :
- The part where Oculus VR chooses a (fake) Windows 10 exclusive title for the Gold Rush event.
- The part where the Oculus Store won't let you download SPRINT VECTOR on Windows 7, by removing it's download button.
- The part where SPRINT VECTOR happens to work fine on Windows 7, as reported by the Steam users who ARE able to download and play it.

You might think the Oculus Store has "two days" left to fix their latest triple blunder ? Think again because we've been asking them to stop blocking those downloads of so called fake "Windows 8/10 exclusives" for TWO YEARS...

Comments

• HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,275
    3Jane
    edited April 2018
    Oculus Support had TWO YEARS worth of requests to finish fixing this kind of issue before it ever happened, thank you for telling me I should try contacting them again (for the fun), but as you might remember my latest request on this forum was for a hack that would allow Windows 7 users to bypass the Oculus Store OS check, because that's how bad Oculus Store Support has proven to be on this two year old self-inflicted issue.

• Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    Can't see your issue, the developers don't say it works on windows 7 so Oculus should let people download it on windows 7 and find it doesn't work? yes it may work but if its not supported or tested I can see why a developer won't take that chance.

So how is this the fault of Oculus?

On a secondary note, why not just get... you know... get windows 10...
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
    3Jane
    edited April 2018
    The Oculus Store Support isn't pushing me onto Windows 10, half as much as it is pushing me out of the Oculus Store.
  • lag0maticlag0matic Posts: 142
    Art3mis
    Its not an Oculus store issue. As Cyber said above, it is controlled entirely by the Developer who publishes the game. 
    If I write a game, and I choose what to post it as on the oculus store, and I say its win 95 only, thats not the oculus store fault, its my fault.
    Art3mis
    Putting in requests to Oculus support for "two years" is pointless, as its not something THEY control. You need to contact the game dev.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,671 Valuable Player
    In the year 2018,

Fake Windows 10 > Legit Windows 7
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • lord_of_shredlord_of_shred Posts: 97
    Hiro Protagonist
    snowdog said:
    Windows 8 has to go down as the worst version of Windows that's ever been released but Windows 10 is a million miles better. I actually think it's better than 7 myself.
    Have you ever been forced to work with Vista64 bit? And on that note WinMe comes to mind. I'd take any version of 8 over that...but yes, I really dug 7 and still use it on my notebook. And I hesitated a while before jumping onto 10 (since all my machines are used for productivity as well as leisure) but I haven't regretted the decision. The OS itself is superb...has it's problems (forced updates and all that telemetry stuff) but aside from that stable, fast and handles resources rather good. Nothing I could say to the both mentioned by me^^
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,019
    Wintermute
    I'm still running XP on one of my notebooks and am happy with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Also........
    Win 7 is still the OS recommended by Oculus for the Rift.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,116
    Wintermute
    No wonder I can´t make  rift run on my 486/3dfx setup then....

Im curious tho, why are you hanging on to win 7 ?
    Be good, die great !
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,987
    3Jane
    i absolutely loathe win10 and i only use it on my gaming system (and workstation at work), dreading the day ill actually have to use it on my laptop
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,502 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Windows 8 has to go down as the worst version of Windows that's ever been released but Windows 10 is a million miles better. I actually think it's better than 7 myself.
    Have you ever been forced to work with Vista64 bit? And on that note WinMe comes to mind. I'd take any version of 8 over that...but yes, I really dug 7 and still use it on my notebook. And I hesitated a while before jumping onto 10 (since all my machines are used for productivity as well as leisure) but I haven't regretted the decision. The OS itself is superb...has it's problems (forced updates and all that telemetry stuff) but aside from that stable, fast and handles resources rather good. Nothing I could say to the both mentioned by me^^
    You have a point I might just hate Win ME more then Vista!
    WAAAGH!
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,019
    Wintermute
    danknugz said:
    i absolutely loathe win10 and i only use it on my gaming system (and workstation at work), dreading the day ill actually have to use it on my laptop
    So....... you've got gaming and work covered.

What could you be doing with your laptop?
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    3Jane
    So you're busy complaining that you don't want to have windows 10, while sticking with an outdated and messy operating system called Windows 7.  Right...

• wanoennogswanoennogs Posts: 155
    Art3mis
    edited April 2018
    Percy1983 said:
    Can't see your issue, the developers don't say it works on windows 7 so Oculus should let people download it on windows 7 and find it doesn't work? yes it may work but if its not supported or tested I can see why a developer won't take that chance.

So how is this the fault of Oculus?

On a secondary note, why not just get... you know... get windows 10...
    Cyril obviously prefers to use an operating system full of security holes.

Cyril Windows 7 is old, outdated and full of security holes.

If you are a PC gamer Windows 7 doesn't have DirectX 12.  Windows 10 does have DirectX 12.  If you are a PC gamer you are foolish if you are not using Windows 10.    
  • JonJonXDJonJonXD Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    Windows 10 has been proven to be more secure and overall a faster and more stable operating system than Windows 7.

Outside of fear of change, there is really no reason to hold onto Windows 7, unless you like lacking features like typing functions and files that you want to access in the Windows Bar, and it coming up almost instantaneously.

Also the lack of native TRIM support, unless the OP still refuses to use solid state storage.

It just seems like a silly thing to be complaining about, unless you have a specific application requirement that still doesn't support Windows 10.
    PC Specs

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

Power Color Red Dragon RX 580 8GB

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

LG 29UM60-P Ultra Wide 2560x1080 Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

3Jane
    edited April 2018
    Today I'm busy complaining Oculus VR chose to partner with a developer that doesn't officially support the CV1's minimum requirement (although his title technically does), for what should otherwise have been their popular 2nd anniversary event...

And if Oculus VR doesn't feel concerned about fixing their latest self inflicted 2nd anniversary PR blunder, tomorrow I'll be a whole lot less busy complaining about anything the Oculus Store does.

Also on Steam the exact percentage of Windows 10 users was less then 25% (in their official February 2018 survey), so as far as making money off software sales goes, some companies might be better off making events and software blocks that exclude Windows 10 instead of requiring it.

Yes, Microsoft did tell you to hurry to switch to Windows 10 because 99.99% already have, and that their version of Minecraft/Office/PacmanVR/Whatever desperately requires the advanced features that only Windows 10 can provide : Wake up it's Microsoft. And to make things worse their business model just switched from selling OS that meet HIPAA requirements, to handing out (free) OS that don't.

• danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,987
    3Jane
    Richooal said:
    danknugz said:

Richooal said:
    danknugz said:

audio warez and audio production
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
    Cyril said:
    Today I'm busy complaining Oculus VR chose to partner with a developer that doesn't officially support the CV1's minimum requirement

They did not form a Partnership. Anyone can become a developer and publish to the Oculus store, even you. It doesn't mean you and Oculus got married.

You should focus on understanding the basics first before launching a public crusade.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,952 Valuable Player
    Digikid1 said:

OP is like

You forgot the LA LA LA LA LA!!!!!!

haha yes i can confirm

LA LA LA LA LA

Makes things then totally legit
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    Art3mis
    edited April 2018

Windows 7 fell by 11%, windows 10 went up by 10%

From Feb to March 2018.

So, guess it time for you to upgrade, eh?
    edited April 2018
    I have a working Desktop with XP and the Laptop I use for my "Myst Mod" is Windows 7 (the Mod Editor doesn't run on Windows 10).

I love XP and W7 moreso than Win 10. However, love alone doesn't make an OS ideal for present day use. Other than the very specific uses I have for these machines (My XP machine never goes online, and Win 7 stays off completely until necessary), everything is done on Win 10 due to one crucial reason: Smarts.
    3Jane
    edited April 2018

lag0matic said:

From Feb to March 2018.

More like it's time for LZoltowski up there to wake up from his pure delusion that "94% of Rift users are (on) Win 10" : Not only there isn't ~15 times MORE Windows 10 users then Windows 7/8 users, but it's more like there's ~2 times LESS windows 10 users then Windows 7/8 users.

That's how bad this event is : A huge majority, rather then an underwhelming minority, of CV1 owners can't participate in it, due to an OS requirement that shouldn't even exist to begin with.

Zenbane said:
    Cyril said:
    Today I'm busy complaining Oculus VR chose to partner with a developer that doesn't officially support the CV1's minimum requirement

They did not form a Partnership. Anyone can become a developer and publish to the Oculus store, even you. It doesn't mean you and Oculus got married.

You should focus on understanding the basics first before launching a public crusade.
    OK so Oculus VR formed a "Sponsorship" instead of a "Partnership", for this event : I won't blame anyone for googling "Sponsorship VS Partnership" to spot the difference between the two...

Guess what : Different word but same conclusion, and you should be the one focusing more on the big picture instead of trying to nag on the details. The big picture being that a majority of CV1 users were left out by the sponsor Oculus VR chose, regardless of that sponsor also being considered a partner or not.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,721 Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2018
    Cyril said:

lag0matic said:

From Feb to March 2018.

More like it's time for LZoltowski up there to wake up from his pure delusion that "94% of Rift users are (on) Win 10" : Not only there isn't ~15 times MORE Windows 10 users then Windows 7/8 users, but it's more like there's ~2 times LESS windows 10 users then Windows 7/8 users.

That's how bad this event is : A huge majority, rather then an underwhelming minority, of CV1 owners can't participate in it, due to an OS requirement that shouldn't even exist to begin with.

Zenbane said:
    Cyril said:

OK so Oculus VR formed a "Sponsorship" instead of a "Partnership".

Guess what : Different word but same conclusion, and you should be the one focusing more on the big picture instead of nagging on the details. The big picture being that a majority of CV1 users were left out by the sponsor Oculus VR chose, regardless of that sponsor being a partner or not.

This the OFFICIAL data taken from ALL Oculus Rift users 

https://developer.oculus.com/hardware-report/pc/

Please have read, for the love of god.

You are confusing steam users with Oculus users.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,739 Valuable Player
    Cyril said:
    Oculus Support had TWO YEARS worth of requests to finish fixing this kind of issue before it ever happened, thank you for telling me I should try contacting them again (for the fun), but as you might remember my latest request on this forum was for a hack that would allow Windows 7 users to bypass the Oculus Store OS check, because that's how bad Oculus Store Support has proven to be on this two year old self-inflicted issue.

So the fact that this is setup by the developer and NOT oculus means nothing to you?  You should be contacting the developers of the software and complaining to them to pay attention to what they are doing or ask them if there is a specific reason that they are limiting their software to Windows 10 on the Oculus platform.  Now that you know the specifics, direct your complaints at the right party.