New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

[SOLVED] Rift wont connect hdmi or usb3

HarthusHarthus Posts: 16
NerveGear
edited April 2018 in Support
so heres the issue. ive had a oculus rift for 11 days and suddenly today i restarted my computer and the headset wont connect anymore. 
To clarify before today my headset would connect to the usb3 and hdmi without any problems and ran smooth. 
Now after a computer restart it wont show up as connected either in the full oculus setup or in the devices tab. 
Ive gone through one of the many usb troubleshooting guides on the net changing powersaving modes, updating drivers, uninstalling/reinstalling drivers with 0 luck. My sensors are detected just fine with the exact same ports ive tried the rift usb3s in. also the hdmi port on my video card works fine with my second monitor.

This all pointed to the cord for the rift being my issue so i took it back to the retailer and got a brand new device with fingers crossed. exact same issue. I can also point out that the little light inside the rift headset lights up so it seems to be getting some power at least. 

Heeeellllppp meeeeeee

Comments

• WreckLuse68WreckLuse68 Posts: 250
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2018
    What colour is the light...orange or white?
    I have this problem and I tracked it down to either the HDMI connector on the Rift or the HDMI port on my graphics card...if I just plug in the HDMI cable (with Oculus Home open) then I get a constant orange light but if I just wiggle it a little or slightly pull it out until I get a permenant white light then it works fine...it's like the Oculus HDMI connector isn't fitting properly or is shorting or something...other HDMI cables seem to work ok (Monitors etc).
    I have to be honest and say this headset is the most finnicky piece of Kit I have ever plugged in to my PC...I never know if it is going to work from one day to the next and I dread making any changes to my PC because of the constant USB conflicts, no right headphone and an IPD system that has a mind of its own...If it wasn't for the fact that Assetto Corsa is just so damn good in VR then I would have consigned it to the cupboard long ago and gone back to triple monitors.
    Anyways...Worth a try though, right?
    When Einstein was asked how it felt to be the smartest man on Earth, he replied, “I wouldn’t know. Ask Nikola Tesla”.
  • HarthusHarthus Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    I appreciate your help. 
    the light is yellow and ive messed with the cable connection at the headset and its not loose or shorting as far as i can tell. unplugged and plugged back in with no luck. 
  • WreckLuse68WreckLuse68 Posts: 250
    Nexus 6
    Harthus said:
    I appreciate your help. 
    the light is yellow and ive messed with the cable connection at the headset and its not loose or shorting as far as i can tell. unplugged and plugged back in with no luck. 
    I meant at the other end where the HDMI connector goes into the graphics card...it takes a bit of fine twiddling but thats what works here...I hope you get it sorted mate.
    When Einstein was asked how it felt to be the smartest man on Earth, he replied, “I wouldn’t know. Ask Nikola Tesla”.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Can you upload your log files here? See this thread for how to get the files.
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-rift-1-3/p1
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    edited April 2018
    I sure can. Here you go Cyber. 

I did check the plug for the hdmi connector. This problem really has my mind blown. 

When i try to add the oculus setup log it says it failed to upload. I dont know if this will work but i copy and pasted the log contents into a notepad .txt and sent again. if you need it in the log file i can try again in a little bit. 
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,496 Volunteer Moderator
    Looks like a driver issue, would you be willing to do a complete re-install? You will lose your games so you will need to re-download them

Before you try, please run a full antivirus scan, just to be on the safe side, then:
    1. Disconnect your computer from the internet.
    2. Reboot into Safe Mode.
    3. Uninstall Oculus Home using the Control Panel.
    4. Delete all Oculus folders from the following folder:
      • C:\Program Files
    5. Remove any Oculus folders from the following locations:
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
    6. Restart your computer in normal mode.
    7. Reconnect your computer to the internet.
    8. Install Oculus Home again using the setup tool from our website here, make sure to run the setup for your C:\ Drive and make sure you have any antivirus disabled.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    edited April 2018
    There a few errors in there, the one I think that is causing your problem is this:
    Windows 10 system doesn't appear to have RiftDisplay.inf installed
    You should able to fix that by installing that driver. You can check this folder:

C:\Program Files\Oculus VR Runtime Drivers\Drivers\Monitor
    And right-click "RiftDisplay.inf" and choose Install.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    edited April 2018
    I dont have a oculus vr runtime drivers in program files 
    I am reinstalling the oculus software now. 
    NerveGear
    Alright ive reinstalled and there still is no C:\Program Files\Oculus VR Runtime Drivers\Drivers\Monitor folder. Is there a place i can go to download the riftdisplay.inf?
    Harthus said:
    Alright ive reinstalled and there still is no C:\Program Files\Oculus VR Runtime Drivers\Drivers\Monitor folder. Is there a place i can go to download the riftdisplay.inf?
    Have you reinstalled as per above? It still doesn't work?
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Hold on I'm installing the Oculus setup file on a separate laptop, maybe I can find the files for you.

NerveGear
    Alright ive downloaded and installed the RiftDisplay.inf as suggested. Nothing changed but im reinstalling oculus again. Also if anyone has problems like the gentleman in the forum post you linked with issues installing the driver to the "store" this website helped me. The second option allowed me to install the .inf 
    https://www.technipages.com/enable-disable-device-driver-signing
    NerveGear
    still no luck. Darn i really got excited with that one. I included the new setup log
    Oh no, I am off to bed now unfortunately but if you don't manage to find a solution I will try and find one for you in the morning. Best.

• rhettnettlesrhettnettles Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Having the exact same issue except mine was great for almost a year!! I have al lot of games and I have tried to get help through support and been unsuccessful. PLEASE post if you resolve this issue and let me know how ... Gonna try the disconnect intenet and uninstall in safe mode (never thought of doing that - DId everything in the list but I wasn;t in safe mode.
    Can you upload the log gather again, rather than the setup log as you have installed the software successfully?

Also, can you unplug any USB devices apart from your mouse and keyboard and the rift stuff?. 

NerveGear
    I will be happy to get those logs for you once i get home from work. While im at it though I have a question. Will the oculus rift still detect the hdmi connection if the usb isnt connected? I just had a random thought today and was curious if maybe the hdmi is working fine but just not recognized without the usb working. I ask because ive not seen a single anything or anyone say that their hdmi was detected but not usb.
    Yeah the rift won't say OK unless USB works too. 

NerveGear
    Good news! 
    My oculus is running so far. How i fixed the problem doesnt really make any sense to me but it is. 
    So after hearing that the hdmi wont be recognized if the usb isnt i decided to go out and buy a 2port usb3 pci express card from bestbuy. Now ive come home and installed the card then rebooted the computer. Now the odd part. The rift headset is plugged into the same ports it always has been when it didnt work but now its connecting. I never even plugged anything into the new usb3 ports and it fixed itself. In the chance that my logs can help yall with somone else ive included the ones requested above. If anyone has questions ill be checking up on my post here for the next couple days to see if i can do anything else to clear things up. 
    That's very odd, maybe something to do with memory addressing etc ... but glad your rift is now working!

• JohSm67JohSm67 Posts: 128
    Art3mis
    edited April 2018
    NerveGear
    no updates. Honestly i wonder if it could have been a bio issue. When i plugged in the new card and rebooted it forced me into the bios but i didnt need to do anything so just exited. 
  • CaptainsEyePatchCaptainsEyePatch Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Simply put, the Rift is a piece of shit.
    You best bet is to throw the crap away and get something better.
  • ZiQuan90ZiQuan90 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi guys, i just bought this recently and yes same problem i'm facing. Still waiting for support to get back to me after sending them the log file. Just a quick qus, Is it possible for me to buy other type of HDMI cable and try to get it work with the Rift? 
  • RumMonkeyRumMonkey Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I'm having exactly the same problem, been playing the Rift all night with my friends, now it's F'd, tried everyting still F'd, s h i tee
  • SerErrisSerErris Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hi, maybe it is interesting for someone else, that this issue might be also a connection issue from a total unexpected end. I had the very same issue as described here, but my LED was not light at all. everything pluged in as normal and the rift never shown up.

I thought it is a complete loss and I would need to return it, but luckily I found the main issue.

The Rift cable is connecte via USB and HDMI to the PC. On the other End the cable is connected to the Rift with another plug, that you are actually not aware of that it is a plug. I was allways under the assumption, that it is hard wired. 

You can remove the face mask from the rift (the part that sits directly on your skin) and behind that, you can see the cable running into the Rift. The end of the cable is actually a plug that is sitting inside a female counterpart within the Rift.

In my case it has become loose and was not connected anymore. So my Rift was cut of from the connection. After pulling the plug and reinserting, it worked again as normal.

Just want to let you guys know, to check this side of the hardware.
  • ZeRoNinJaZeRoNinJa Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Hey, I literally just got the rift, havent been able to play it yet because of this kind of problem. I don't understand, because I'm trying to set it up in the oculus app, but it won't recognise the HDMI, even though the oculus lamp is shining white, not orange. 
    I've tried everything except the complete re-install, which I think I'm gonna try after I write this post.
    I was really looking forward to this and I'm kinda bummed out now...
  • ZeRoNinJaZeRoNinJa Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I should also add that I installed it to the D drive.
  • mwob21mwob21 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    SerErris, you're a genius!   That worked for me.  The headset cable was loose.  I had no idea.