My Pet Project - VR London — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

My Pet Project - VR London

DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,718 Valuable Player

I've gone back to trying my hand at 3ds max after some time with Blender (thanks to @LZoltowski for steering me away from the dark side!). So if anyone's interested, this is what I'm working on...

I haven't posted this in the developer section cos it's so far away from being an app it's not funny. Plus I don't want to give away what I have planned other than it's VR London! and I still have to get familiar with Unreal once the modeling's finished, this could take some time.

Anyway, here's some images so far:

This the terrain covering 3km x 3km (9 x 1km OS grid squares) around the centre of London... Charing Cross.

The terrain is from the Ordinance Survey 50m terrain data which unlike other data is true land data ignoring buildings and foliage.

Here, all buildings have been placed. These are basic outlines but are accurate OS building data.

Now the hard work, modelling the major landmarks from scratch, above is Westminster bridge, railings and ornamental lighting to be added.

...and the London Eye main structure, capsules and spokes to do.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Well, that's quite an ambitious project. Nice work so far, though.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,718 Valuable Player
    Well, that's quite an ambitious project. Nice work so far, though.

Yeah, I've been thinking that since I started it!

I like the idea of a super low poly London in the style of Mirror's Edge, which could show off live data like bus positions (from LRT's server) or weather... or a hundred other things. Maybe a tour of landmarks like bridges with fun and useless facts.

Unfortunately there are so many landmarks, 30ish bridges to start with, so may not get finished in my lifetime. I'm not going to give up though.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,572 Valuable Player
    You could have notifications popping up whenever and wherever anyone gets shot or stabbed to death, but there's a chance your app would get overloaded these days lol :o :D :D :D

Looking great so far!
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,757 Valuable Player
    Very South East elitist.  I think you should add a Northern city and a town from each of the other home nations.   :D

@snowdog, that made me smile in a 'sympathetic to the victims and their families' kind or way.

@Hiro_Protag0nist, I think this is going to be 10 years in the making so maybe I should post my workflow details and you can make a start on Huddersfield.

• Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 498
    Trinity
    edited April 2018

I'm open to suggestions @Sterling77, creating a game is an huge undertaking though... all sorts of AI, voice acting, motion capture, car physics & loads of other stuff. I'll stick to an information/tour app I think. But hey, I could make the finished model available for anyone to use as a game asset.

I never owned a PS but the Getaway series looked interesting if it used a realistic model of London... looks like it covers the same central area around Charing Cross. I'm planning on expanding the area to cover adjacent few km from Hammersmith to the Thames Barrier.

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,738 Volunteer Moderator
    WOW, amazing. 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • SimonSays28SimonSays28 Posts: 578
    Neo
    I love the idea of virtual tourism. I've never been to London - but have always wanted to see it in my life (something that as I get older I don't feel I will get the opportunity to do it), but thankfully I think that VR will eventually get me there.

I mean I have lived all over Canada and been to a few cities in America - enough to know that outside of the touristy stuff, every city is pretty much the same (lots of buildings, shit traffic, industrial areas, market areas, business areas, etc.) so I am not really put out that my current economic class level doesn't allow me to do or see everything I would like to.

But the option to visit places virtually really does appeal to me - especially for the purposes of planning trips. I may only get 2 or 3 big vacation trips in my life time (maybe / probably less), so the ability to scope out an area first hand is very helpful and doing it in VR would give it a sense of scale and purpose that simply looking at pictures on a monitor wouldn't.

Keep up the cool work DaftnDirect!!!
    Check out my band at http://theheavyjack3.bandcamp.com/ - our entire discography has been released for free download.

@LZoltowski, I'll email you a copy of the model when it's done, for your assistance on the 3ds max front (am loving it by the way), it may be good for visualisations or something.

@SimonSays28, totally agree, VR is ideal for tourism, most people don't have the means to travel the world IRL whenever they want! Google Earth VR is one of my favourites programs. Just wanted a little more focused detail on the famous big cities ...and live data ...and weird facts!

@LZoltowski, I'll email you a copy of the model when it's done, for your assistance on the 3ds max front (am loving it by the way), it may be good for visualisations or something.

@SimonSays28, totally agree, VR is ideal for tourism, most people don't have the means to travel the world IRL whenever they want! Google Earth VR is one of my favourites programs. Just wanted a little more focused detail on the famous big cities ...and live data ...and weird facts!

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,738 Volunteer Moderator

You are too kind sir! I'm glad you're back into it!
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,799 Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2018
    This'll be cool!!! I live and work in London and am a member of the emergency services (We drive yellow noisy things) maybe it could be a blue light driving game around the streets of old London town  B)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

You get bonus points for including my flat and allowing the player to see me and @vannagirl shagging on my bed in no holds holes barred rampant sex. :D :love:
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Snowdog, I'm speechless. Carry on like that and Techy will be picking you up in his ambulance... you know vannagirl has a black belt... and a red one... and a spangly one.

On a serious note though, I have an idea to sell or rent the virtual buildings... they could be used by anyone as a gateway to a website... or to an app, well just an idea. I think it's time for some Fallout 4
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,456 Valuable Player
    Some serious business in this thread and I'm not just talking about Snowdog's wild fantasies either.

Please come east a little bit Daft, some good landmarks on this side of town.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    I shall indeed be going east @Shadowmask72, as far as the Thames Barrier, and West a bit. Will follow the Thames first, then see how it goes!
    You need to do Tottenham to do my flat and me and @vannagirl doing the dirty.

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,539 Valuable Player
    Very cool!
    WAAAGH!
    Morgrum said:
    Very cool!

See! @Morgrum wants to see it!!! :D

Legally or morally?

I'd say yes and no in that order.

vannagirl said:
    snowdog said:
    You need to do Tottenham to do my flat and me and @vannagirl doing the dirty.
    Is it wrong to accidently hit someone in your car then accidently also reverse??

:(

Still chugging on with this project. Some more detail added.....

....and experimenting with some photogrammetry around the Blackfriars Bridge model.

edited October 2018

Moving east. 9 more square km added...

...and Blackfriars Bridge

Still chugging along. Starting to do some non-bridge landmarks.

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,799 Volunteer Moderator
    If anyone says "ooh look, Big Ben" I'll do ya, Big Ben Is the BELL !!!!! Great work mate ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Yep, and I now know my Black Rod's Garden from my Peers Entrance.
    Ooh look, Big Ben!!!

I've been looking for someone to do me for ages and @vannagirl is having none of it. :D