[SOLVED] Initial Software Setup Error (Sorry, Please Restart Your Computer and Try Again) — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

[SOLVED] Initial Software Setup Error (Sorry, Please Restart Your Computer and Try Again)

GubruGubru Posts: 12
NerveGear
edited April 2018 in Support
After waiting days with bated breath, I finally received my Oculus! 

Unfortunately, before I can even plug anything in, I am having issues first and foremost with even installing the software! (At this point, I've even tried multiple browsers, too!)

When I'm booting up the initial setup, it'll download the required files (all 9.4GB of them) seemingly alright, before it prompts me to install. I go through the usual cavalcade of directories (which I just leave on their default options), and let it go from there.

A few minutes after staring at the animated loading bar, I am greeted with "Sorry, we have encountered an error during installing. Please restart and try again." And I can proceed no further.

Comments

• R3dCyclon3R3dCyclon3 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Bump because I am in the same boat, and I am tired of this heap of expensive garbage.

• ShacharTalShacharTal Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Me too. Bummer!!!
  • GubruGubru Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Does anyone from Rift Support look at these forums? Disappointed that there hasn't been any movement for us. 

I have a support ticket in too which had yet to garner any response .

The only other option I can think of is a format; but that really shouldn't be necessary. I've also heard of other customers trying the same without much success; so that doesn't really fill me with confidence. 
  • Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 338
    Trinity
    https://support.oculus.com/885981024820727/

I had a similar issue support had me start up in safe mode and delete all oculus files, also reloaded video drivers first. Hit them up they were really helpful. I used live chat for initial contact, good luck
    NerveGear
    https://support.oculus.com/885981024820727/

I had a similar issue support had me start up in safe mode and delete all oculus files, also reloaded video drivers first. Hit them up they were really helpful. I used live chat for initial contact, good luck
    Thank you very much for the information! I actually just now had a reply to my own support ticket; I've given them my setuplog and my dxdiag thus far. I shall check out that link, cheers!

Trinity
    Yeah it will take a out 1 day for them to analyze the files. They confirmed my issue was due to a driver problem. Due to complications I uninstalled my video driver and did a clean driver install then had to manually delete all oculus files while in safe mode. Took a couple of back and forth emails to get at end result. Just be patient as emails and employee shifts all take time
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Here are the instructions for a complete reinstall
    1. Disconnect your computer from the internet.
    2. Reboot into Safe Mode.
    3. Uninstall Oculus Home using the Control Panel.
    4. Delete all Oculus folders from the following folder:
      • C:\Program Files
    5. Remove any Oculus folders from the following locations:
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
    6. Restart your computer in normal mode.
    7. Reconnect your computer to the internet.
    8. Install Oculus Home again using the setup tool from our website here, make sure to run the setup from your C:\ Drive and make sure you have any antivirus disabled.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    NerveGear
    8. Install Oculus Home again using the setup tool from our website here, make sure to run the setup from your C:\ Drive and make sure you have any antivirus disabled.
    I will try this. Thank you. 
    NerveGear
    Gubru said:
    I will try this. Thank you. 
    Did not work. 
    Im off to bed now, If you haven't managed by then I will have a look at it again in the morning.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

NerveGear
    Im off to bed now, If you haven't managed by then I will have a look at it again in the morning.
    You're much too kind!
    Trinity
    Ah the safe mode part is where I had trouble as it is different in windows 10. I thought I was in safe mode first time and when I deleted folders and rebooted, it had not

Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select the Power icon > Restart.
    After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
    After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode.
    I see two errors in the logs, one is a corrupt file:

Before doing the setup make sure to delete the folder: C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache\

The log shows me that it is re-using those files over and over again. So delete them all.

Make sure to copy the setup exe to the root of C:\  (not in downloads folder)

Also, disable any antivirus/windows defender completely before running setup, this is crucial.

NerveGear
    I see two errors in the logs, one is a corrupt file:

Before doing the setup make sure to delete the folder: C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache\

The log shows me that it is re-using those files over and over again. So delete them all.

Make sure to copy the setup exe to the root of C:\  (not in downloads folder)

Also, disable any antivirus/windows defender completely before running setup, this is crucial.
    I have tried this. I have deleted every trace of the setup program. I've tried safe mode, I've tried putting the installer in the root Directory, I've tried running cmd as Administrator and using "bypass hotfix", I've tried reinstalling VCREDIST, and I have ensured all antivirus is shut off. I've deleted all registry keys that have anything to do with Oculus .

I'm at an impasse. I feel so defeated, man. I see no reason why this isn't working. 

I even tried a complete fresh install of my GPU drivers... I don't know what else to do .
    grrr can you show me the latest setup log?

Trinity
    On step 6 when you reboot your Pc before you continue , have you checked to make sure all oculus folders are gone. When I did mine they showed up , empty but still there so I redid the safe mode steps and r deleted .second time they didn't show at all 
    NerveGear
    I shall give that a try after work; including uploading my latest setup log.

It was also suggested I try downloading the software client via a different network. So I'll give they a try, too.

My apologies for the bold text, this forum system doesn't play well with my phone...
    NerveGear
    Oddly enough, I started my PC up in Safe Mode without Networking, did my usual rounds of deleting and... restarted back into Safe Mode without Networking again. What I found is that despite my deleting of the Oculus cache in C:\ drive, it still reappeared there. So I deleted it once again and rebooted to make sure that it was gone for good. I switched networks and am trying to redownload the software. I'll keep you posted. 

Failing this, I shall upload my latest setup logs.
    Gubru said:
    Oddly enough, I started my PC up in Safe Mode without Networking, did my usual rounds of deleting and... restarted back into Safe Mode without Networking again. What I found is that despite my deleting of the Oculus cache in C:\ drive, it still reappeared there. So I deleted it once again and rebooted to make sure that it was gone for good. I switched networks and am trying to redownload the software. I'll keep you posted. 

Failing this, I shall upload my latest setup logs.

Great, keep us posted, we are here to help. Cheers!

NerveGear
    Well, it's a good thing I didn't get my hopes up as my install failed as usual. Attached are my latest setup logs... I'm starting to feel hopeless.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lsCARdEDTieyX-9zz3YswK8f7v3Kfl2k
    Hmm, and you 100% did disable all antivirus/defender while doing that right?

NerveGear
    ^Yes.
    I have PM'ed you

Spoke to the customer, It was windows Defender. Disabling just the real-time protection is not enough, if you scroll down there is a setting for Folder Protection that should also be disabled.

NerveGear
    ^He's absolutely right . Windows Defender was the culprit. 
  • traumelottraumelot Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    If you are experiencing this problem, just look at the end of your log file, which can be found at %localappdata%\Oculus\OculusSetup.log (paste that into File Explorer's address bar). Start from the end of the text file and read up until you find the failure, which is usually prefixed by "[Error]".

If you are receiving an error with the Visual C++ 2015 Update 3' redistributable, go into your Add and Remove Programs control panel and uninstall all Visual Basic C++ 2017 items. Thanks to Lalle75 for this post!
  • traumelottraumelot Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    edited May 2018
    [delete me - duplicate]
  • Fredmcc04Fredmcc04 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    traumelot said:
    If you are experiencing this problem, just look at the end of your log file, which can be found at %localappdata%\Oculus\OculusSetup.log (paste that into File Explorer's address bar). Start from the end of the text file and read up until you find the failure, which is usually prefixed by "[Error]".

If you are receiving an error with the Visual C++ 2015 Update 3' redistributable, go into your Add and Remove Programs control panel and uninstall all Visual Basic C++ 2017 items. Thanks to Lalle75 for this post!
    what if there is no oculus folder there