cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SkyrimVR stuttering - wierd regular(ish) single application frame drops

andysonofbob
Heroic Explorer
Hi

I have been having stuttering issues in SkyrimVR.  I have it running fullscreen which really does help.  I thought I would run the Oculus debug tool to monitor performance.  My overheads were typically greater than 40% so I appear to have bags of room

BUT

Every second or so, I drop a single application frame, for no apparent reason.  It is really regular too.  This doesnt happen on say Oculus Home.

I am monitoring my CPU and GPU.  GPU is untouched but CPU is close to 100%
CPU 2500k @ 4.4 with 16GB.

Any ideas?  Or suggestions to mediate issues.

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

LZoltowski
Champion
What game settings are you running on (high? supersampling on?)

Are you running any mods?

What is your GPU, is it overclocked?

In steam VR, do you have automatic supersampling on?, if so Enable manual override and set it to 100%

uzb1fj6kxc3a.jpg
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

andysonofbob
Heroic Explorer
Hi

Thanks!

Running the game on high setting with some stuff off.  No sampling in game or Steam (did the manual overide thingy you mentioned in the other thread).  Running some mods but only essentials(?) unofficial patch does the same when I have them disabled.  I don't use the flora mod because that kills FPS

# This file is used by the game to keep track of your downloaded content.
# Please do not modify this file.
*SkyrimVR.esm
*Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm
*Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
*SMIM-SE-Merged-All.esp
*Cutting Room Floor.esp
*IcePenguinWorldMap.esp
*Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim.esp
*Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp
*dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
*BarenziahQuestMarkers.esp
*Vivid WeathersSE.esp
*Vivid Weathers SE - Classic.esp
Vivid Weathers SE - Summer Season.esp
*WICO - Immersive Character.esp
*WICO - Immersive People.esp
*WICO - Immersive Dawnguard.esp
*WICO - Wild Hunt Gears.esp
*FixedYourShitTodd.esp
*RealisticWaterTwo.esp

My GPU is not OC and is a 1070

My performance thingy says the GPU is under untilised but the CPU (see above) is being fully utilised.  Do any of the mods I am using add to CPU load?  Maybe Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp?

The stutter is a single application frame.  All other times I have a good 30-40 headroom according to the Oculus Debug wassname.

In all my games I get some lost frames.  It is just curious how regular they are in SkyrimVR.  I wondered if it might be connected to my micro stutters?

LZoltowski
Champion
Yeah your CPU is a bottleneck here, Skyrim is not very well optimised for hyperthreading

those two look like they could be problematic:

Also, some Skyrim users said that it performs better if hyperthreading is turned off in the BIOS on older chips.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

bsselp
Protege
No, it's most likely not his CPU. This is becoming a large issue amongst many people with extremely high end rigs. Do a quick search and you'll see tons of comments about it. Juddering, hitching without any reason. I'm having this same issue running an overclocked GTX 1080 and overclocked CPU at 4.5ghz. Hitching every couple of steps to the point that it's almost unplayable. Doesn't matter if the game is at max settings or minimum settings, it still happens. The consensus so far is that it's oculus not playing well with steam vr. Has anyone found a solution to this?

Bloodlet
Rising Star
This is interesting..No idea where to find the ini to try it tho

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimvr/comments/8aw28l/smooth_rotation_stutter_fix_smooth_objects_when/

So it was programmed to run at 60hz not 90?

andysonofbob
Heroic Explorer

Yeah your CPU is a bottleneck here, Skyrim is not very well optimised for hyperthreading

those two look like they could be problematic:

Also, some Skyrim users said that it performs better if hyperthreading is turned off in the BIOS on older chips.

I'll try disabling Immersive Citizens, a bit gutting because I quite like it

LZoltowski
Champion

bsselp said:

No, it's most likely not his CPU. This is becoming a large issue amongst many people with extremely high end rigs. Do a quick search and you'll see tons of comments about it. Juddering, hitching without any reason. I'm having this same issue running an overclocked GTX 1080 and overclocked CPU at 4.5ghz. Hitching every couple of steps to the point that it's almost unplayable. Doesn't matter if the game is at max settings or minimum settings, it still happens. The consensus so far is that it's oculus not playing well with steam vr. Has anyone found a solution to this?

Actually overclocking GPU's and using VR can cause issues, I always disable any overclocks on my GPU while in VR. and also stopping any overclocking tools, those Poll the GPU like crazy and can cause tiny latency differences that result in judders. I'm on a 1080 and an OC i7700 at 4.9Ghz ... no stutters whats so ever.

Be kind to one another 🙂

bsselp
Protege

bsselp said:

Actually overclocking GPU's and using VR can cause issues, I always disable any overclocks on my GPU while in VR. and also stopping any overclocking tools, those Poll the GPU like crazy and can cause tiny latency differences that result in judders. I'm on a 1080 and an OC i7700 at 4.9Ghz ... no stutters whats so ever.

I actually found a solution. Using the Oculus tray tool, if you set the ASW to 45 max instead of auto, it fixes the stutter issue. The only problem is that this seems to make me motion sick really quick, so it obviously has something to do with the oculus software. Really need another option to have this fixed.