New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Random "Gear VR undocking issue"

AntJ2017AntJ2017 Posts: 9
NerveGear
About a week ago I used my Gear VR for the first time since my Galaxy S8 updated to Android Oreo.  It worked fine.  Since then, though, my phone has been randomly popping up "Gear VR undocking issue / tap here to finish undocking your mobile device" notifications.  It seems to happen about once per day, despite me not having used the headset since last weekend.  Every time I tap the notification it disappears, only to come back later or the next day.

The notification didn't appear at the time I removed the phone from the headset, only sometime later and then multiple times since.  Is there any way I can fix this?

Comments

• Aquaurchin99Aquaurchin99 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I am having the same issue. Any information would be much appreciated!
  • SorinLavricSorinLavric Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Oculus will not answer us, we are to small customers for them! They focus more on Oculus Rift than Gear VR users....anyway I have the same problem on my Note8 after update with Oreo
  • anthony.smarrelli.9anthony.smarrelli.9 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Adding my name to the list. Also started for me after the oreo update, and it's been months since I used gear VR on my note 8.

I'm going to submit a proper support request too though because it's happening several times a day.
  • davidfritzdavidfritz Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same issue here, but still on Nougat with S7. Notification appearing at least twice a day. Help Oculus!
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,070 Oculus Staff
    I'd recommend submitting a support ticket so we can look into this issue. Thanks. https://support.oculus.com
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • AntJ2017AntJ2017 Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Thanks, I will do that.
    I've used the Gear VR again since, docking and undocking it a couple of times, hoping that would fix it.  But the notification is still appearing, apparently randomly.
  • junpeikyujunpeikyu Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited April 17
    I do have the same thing happening on the Weekend and just seconds ago. Android Oreo on Galaxy S8.
    Is it a bug?
    NerveGear
    I suspect a bug introduced in a recent Oculus update, but I'm no expert.  For those interested in trying, Oculus support have got back to me and suggested the following:
    • Shutting down and restarting the phone (I'd already done this and it didn't make a difference).
    • Ensuring the Facebook App Manager and Facebook App Installer apps are enabled (they both already were on my phone).
    • Uninstalling and reinstalling all the Oculus apps (I haven't tried that yet).
    They gave me the link below which shows which apps to uninstall and how to do so, but I don't know yet how to reinstall them again afterwards.  I also don't know what effect this will have on any installed VR games/apps or their data.  I'm waiting for their response on this before I try it.

• JMDaemonJMDaemon Posts: 56
    Brain Burst
    I too am getting this error on a daily baises even though it has been a week since I used my gear vr. I have rebooted and even wiped the cache but it still pops up. 
  • rwaffulrwafful Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Me too.  Started after Oreo update.  Any help?
    We are looking into the issue, but it would help if you contact us so we can get as much information as possible. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • kirasimokirasimo Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same here guys happens random without even using it
  • csoroiucsoroiu Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    For me it is happens randomly when not using at all oculus vr, but when pluging in the phone to charge. Otherwise i do not get random notifications.
    So every evening when i charge the phone i get the error. But if i try oon purpose to plug it out and in again it does not happen.
    Please contact us to help the investigation. Thanks. https://support.oculus.com/
  • InnerScriptInnerScript Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I also have this issue, a US Galaxy S7. It happens to me a few times a day at random for the last few days.

It started after a few things that I did that were GearVR related. In this order:
    1. I had to unpair and repair the GearVR controller to have it detect
    2. Accidentally went to the GearVR store, rather than my Unity game project
    3. GearVR store, Oculus utilities and a few other related apps then triggered an automatic update
  • JMDaemonJMDaemon Posts: 56
    Brain Burst
    Please contact us to help the investigation. Thanks. https://support.oculus.com/
    As much as Id like to.. I have no further information I could give. This is a problem that created itself with no input from us the user. As it is, we have no access to the software that governs the installation and management of the occulus software. We plug in our gear vr and prays it works. You created your walled garden, you know what its doing. 
    NerveGear
    I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Oculus apps as suggested by support yesterday.  Reinstalling was simply a case of connecting the phone to the headset and following the instructions and my VR apps didn't lose any data.

Unfortunately it didn't make any difference.  The notification has appeared twice today despite not using the Gear VR since yesterday.  The first time was as soon as I switched the phone on this morning, but unusually it disappeared on it's own quite quickly.  The second time was this afternoon and it remained until I acknowledged it as normal.
  • Cranston1Cranston1 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same issue... How to correct this? I have not used the VR in about 10 months! Can't remove one of the apps. Forced Stop on that application did not correct this either. Very irritating. What's the plan to correct this bug?
  • rkriorkrio Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same thing s7 edge several times a say haven't used vr  in weeks
  • thorvjthorvj Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Started to happen to me as well, tried the steps above, S7 edge
  • denodandenodan Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    I also have been getting g random undocking notifications and now went into notifications and turned the oculus notification off and hope this fixes it? Have you guys just tried turning off the notification?
  • shamalkshamalk Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I'm getting the same issue. Seems related to unplugging charger  
    We've discovered the problem and are working to fix it now. Please hang tight for a future update. Thanks.
  • ChocolateDonutChocolateDonut Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    My Oreo Galaxy S8 locks up daily which is usually followed by the undocking issue notification.
  • goooglestudiosgoooglestudios Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I also noticed the same thing happen to my Galaxy S9. Runs smooth, chokes for a second or two, and I get that notification. That was the one time the notification showed up when I was actively using my phone. Other times, it's when I put my phone on the wireless charger, or plug it in to charge (which I don't do much of). 
    "Signatures can be up to 480 characters long."
    Wow! That's longer than a tweet! 
    And you can edit them?

NerveGear
    Oculus support responded to my ticket a few days ago to say they've found the problem and there should be an update to fix it within a couple of weeks.
  • swilke5swilke5 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Ive also been getting this its really irritating and its only after i updated my phone to android oreo
  • alexsantos89alexsantos89 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Plus 1 guys, same problem with my GS8. I hope they fix that soon! I've noticed my phone started drawing more battery than usual after oreo update, is it the same for you?
  • louise.ryderlouise.ryder Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    For the last few weeks i have been having this same problem. I havent used my gear vr since i got it in August 2017. The notification for the gear vr undocking issue comes up everytime i plug in my phone charger to my s8. Since this started my charger will not fast charge it only slow charges. Wtf has happened??? Im having to charge my phone a few times a day as its not getting proper charge & the charge i do get goes down rapidly, i am having to put it into maximum power saving everyday too.
  • alexsantos89alexsantos89 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    For the last few weeks i have been having this same problem. I havent used my gear vr since i got it in August 2017. The notification for the gear vr undocking issue comes up everytime i plug in my phone charger to my s8. Since this started my charger will not fast charge it only slow charges. Wtf has happened??? Im having to charge my phone a few times a day as its not getting proper charge & the charge i do get goes down rapidly, i am having to put it into maximum power saving everyday too.
    I had the same problem in the past, It wasn't related with either gear vr itself or the oreo update, but It was a hardware problem on the usb-c connector. Functions like fast charging, Gear Vr and connect a usb storage in the USB-C connector weren't functioning properly. Warranty repaired it.