New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

New replacement Rift no longer works with HDMI extension cable

rawalancherawalanche Posts: 22
Brain Burst
edited April 13 in Support
Hi,

a few days ago, my Rift headset broke (one earphone stopped working) and I RMAed it at a local hardware store where I have bought it. The very next day, I've received a refund, so I immediately proceeded to buy a new Rift from them. My first Rift was the original bundle that came with remote, XBOX controller and one sensor, but they are not being sold anymore, so I've gotten the new one, that's bundled with two sensors and a touch controllers. 

I did notice some build quality differences, such as that the new foam padding is made from a much cheaper material. I did not mind that, since I bought a VRCover one anyway. What took me by a surprise though, is that my new Rift no longer works with my 2 meter HDMI extension cable. If I plug it directly into my GPU, it works well, however if I plug it via the HDMI extension cable, I get just a black screen (but Oculus software does not report HDMI not connected warning). It is the very same cable my previous Rift worked with, and it is plugged in the very same ports. I don't think that the new units should have any significant hardware difference, which could cause this.

Is there something I can try?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,667 Oculus Staff
    Can you try with the new headset cable that came with the bundle?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • rawalancherawalanche Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    edited April 13
    Can you try with the new headset cable that came with the bundle?
    Well, I have only one cable, the new one. When I RMAed the old Rift, I of course had to hand over the entire box, will all the original contents, including the cable.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 2,509 Poster of the Week
    edited April 13
    Is the HDMI extension cable an active or passive?
    Brain Burst
    Mradr said:
    Is the HDMI cable an active or passive?
    Passive, but as I said, it worked with my previous Rift. Also, it's just 2 meters, so signal should not get lost over such a short distance :|
    Mradr said:
    Passive, but as I said, it worked with my previous Rift. Also, it's just 2 meters, so signal should not get lost over such a short distance :|
    I understand, but I wonder if something might have gotten bent? Have anything you can test with the cable?
    Brain Burst
    Mradr said:
    Mradr said:
    I understand, but I wonder if something might have gotten bent? Have anything you can test with the cable?
    Yes, that's the first thing I did. I've tested it with both my Chromecast and my Xbox One. No problems whatsoever... 
    edited April 13
    Try restarting the computer once the HMD is plug in if you haven't yet. Then try running the software again and then getting us the log with it plug in. You can get the logs here:

Run "OculusLogGatherer.exe" by double-clicking the icon after navigating to this folder:
    C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics
    and upload the zip file to your post.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,667 Oculus Staff
    Rift can be really picky about which extension cables work or not, even with a cable that worked on another unit. You may want to try with the specifically recommended cables here:
    https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-extra-equipment/
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • PIXELATEDPIXELATED Posts: 236
    Nexus 6
    edited April 13
    I have recently received a brand new replacement Rift and i ran into this problem also... Where all the other replacement Rifts worked fine with extension (passive) cable but the new CV1 (circa April 2018) does not..
    I've had an email message telling me that Oculus do not support extension cables...
    Weird..! and i'd love to know more.

The cable i bought and previously worked for two years is:
    • KabelDirekt 3m HDMI Extension Cable compatible with HDMI 2.0a/b, 2.0, 1.4a (Ultra HD, 4K, 3D, Full HD, 1080p, HDR, ARC, Highspeed with Ethernet) - TOP Series
    PS I've a feeling that Oculus have changed something. reading reviews of this extension cable on internet have many that say it doesn't work with Rift anymore
    Maybe a power/re connfigurement issue ? or the recommended sellers have a deal.. despite oculus not recommending extension cables (-:

but i'm a cynic
    Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35
    Brain Burst
    Well, it appears that my new unit is completely fucked up. It does not work even with just !20CM! long active HDMI repeater I have just bought. It really only works when plugged directly into GPU, but it's way, way too short for roomscale. I am really sad now, especially since I've sank another $30 for an active HDMI repeater that doesn't work.
  • TadinTadin Posts: 267
    Nexus 6
    I havent RMAed my Rift or anything so its still the original one, and I have a 2m passive extension cable i used for over a year, but in the last 2 months its not working any more, at least in that you get black screens every few seconds before it recovers.

It works fine still without the extension, so I'm not too worried, but the extra cable was always really useful.

I might try getting a new cable, as it was only a cheap Maplin extender, but it is so much better when you use an extender :smile:

Brain Burst
    Hi,

so I've finally solved it. Turns out Rift is picky even about active HDMI repeaters. But I have finally found one that works.

Solution in this case is indeed getting an active HDMI repeater, but not every one of them may work. The lesson learnt from this is that quality of Rift's hardware can radically differ between units.
  • Nukey75Nukey75 Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    Im happy you've solved it, would love to do it myself but the cost of trying different cables has put me off, just out of interest can the extension cables be used on the sensors as well?
    edited April 15
    Hi,

so I've finally solved it. Turns out Rift is picky even about active HDMI repeaters. But I have finally found one that works.

Solution in this case is indeed getting an active HDMI repeater, but not every one of them may work. The lesson learnt from this is that quality of Rift's hardware can radically differ between units.
    Well I wouldn't call it the quality of the rift in this case. Long story short: Electronics are picky and we can't always tell that from face value.

There are things call single quality and that is where most problems come in from. We can't see it - but at the single level it has to be perfect or else it just simple doesn't work. Really this is more of a problem of HDMI than it is with the rift it self. Sure it might have work before - but as things age - things just change over time and as result - work one day and not other other.
  • SparknodeSparknode Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hi,

I'm having the exact same issue. After I received my new Rift my previous HDMI extension isn't working anymore. I even tried a different extension with no luck. Would you mind sharing the model of the HMDI repeater that ended up working?
  • GullzwayGullzway Posts: 1
    NerveGear

This one worked for me after I was having the same issue.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XVQHGXS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,249 Poster of the Week
    You can also try one of these to act as a repeater for you.
    you would be surprised how often this fixes issues for folks.

COWEEN HDMI Repeater 4K UHD HDMI Female to Female HDMI Amplifier 40' HDMI Extender U... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GHL72XS/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_osY1AbXGZ7KRJ

WAAAGH!
    NerveGear
    Gullzway said:
    I just ordered this one, thanks for the recommendation! 
    NerveGear
    Gullzway said:
    The repeater totally fixed the issue, thank you for the suggestion! 
  • Bru.WardenBru.Warden Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Gullzway said:
    Without extensions, mine works fine. With extensions, a short 3ft HDMI works fine, but adding the above repeater makes it fails (may indicate the quality varies, but not sure). A short USB extension causes the screen to occasionally black out (I have tried USB with repeaters and also an additional USB card with independent power supply.)
    Nexus 6
    The repeater got my Rift going again with an extension, but I must be right on the edge of what my power supply can provide, as the PC wouldnt boot up until I'd swapped my Rifts USB to an onboard USB 3.0 hub off of my Innotek USB 3.0 addin card.
    Nexus 6
    edited May 9
    Has anyone recently had any luck with HDMI extension cables (non repeater) - mine used to work but doesn't anymore..

A recommendation and link to buy one that works (May 2018) would be appreciated (-:
    Nexus 6
    Thats just the thing, i dont think there is a "working" extension cable, its all down to the power output of your GFX card / power supply.

I plugged in the repeater and that got it working, but i ended up taking the extension out again as things like the sound would stop working after a while and need a reboot, or the headset wouldnt turn on without restarting the Oculus software.
    Nexus 6
    Tadin said:
    Thats just the thing, i dont think there is a "working" extension cable, its all down to the power output of your GFX card / power supply.

oh ok... my hdmi extension cable used to work with rift but now does not due to some power handling software change in windows or oculus?
    a1000w supply, with a gtx1080 that used to be ok - strange...
    Buy a repeater it is then for me (-:
    Nexus 6
    Definitely worth trying the repeater.... im not sure if its me, but i could swear that with the repeater everything seemed a bit brighter / clearer ... but probably one of those psychological things.
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,987
    3Jane
    edited July 15
    PIXELATED said:
    Tadin said:

oh ok... my hdmi extension cable used to work with rift but now does not due to some power handling software change in windows or oculus?
    a1000w supply, with a gtx1080 that used to be ok - strange...
    Buy a repeater it is then for me (-:
    today i tried using the same rift with hdmi extension that i used 2 or 3 months ago which worked fine, and it is now intermittently blacking out / losing the hdmi connection with a “notification” popping up in the oculus app every time this happens indicating the headset cant be contacted. i think youre right that its a software issue and maybe not hardware related like previous posters mentioned.

definitely something changed in between then and now, which caused this problem to start happening to everyone using non repeater hdmi extensions. i noticed my software is now 1.27
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 868
    Trinity
    edited July 15
    Perhaps a Product ID thing? Try a fresh install with turning OFF all Antivirus.
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,987
    3Jane
    would a non repeating hdmi extension cause a product id issue where a direct connection would not? i figured it was a power issue. i absolutely do not have the time nor willingness to reinstall and deal with all that jazz. ill just not use it for now i guess. sigh
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?