New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

5k video from hard drive lags.

ZejchZejch Posts: 23
Brain Burst
edited April 16 in Off-Topic
Hello everyone. I'm having difficulty watching 5k videos form hard drive (5400x2700-60fps). In all players. In Rift and in desktop. It freezes, spikes, the image lags behind the sound. 4k videos plays good. 5k videos form youtube plays good too. I recently upgraded the system from i7-4820K to i5-7400 and I thought that this would solve the problem. But that did not happen, it still lags. Tell me, please, what part in my system does not meet the requirements of 5k?

Z170M-E D3 motherboard, i5-7400, gtx980, ddr3 16Gb, 6Gb/s HDD, win10.
Used players: Whirligig, VLC, WMP, MPC.
Tagged:

Comments

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,373 Valuable Player
    edited April 16
    Was that really an upgrade?  I may be wrong as far as the technicalities of playing the 5k video but i have my doubts about the term upgrade, Zejch.
  • Wunderboy74Wunderboy74 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    In the oculus store for free, try deo vr video player
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 718 Poster of the Week
    You "upgraded" to a newer yet greatly inferior CPU but I doubt that's the issue. One likely cause is the drive itself. I've never tried to watch a 4k+ video from an HDD (or anything for that matter) but you could be running into the limitations of a mechanical drive. If you have a USB 3.0 flash drive sitting around, try copying the video to that and giving that a try. Though USB 3.0 is only rated for 5 Gbps instead of 6 Gpbs for the SATA 3 connection the HDD has, the HDD doesn't come anywhere close to being able to actually deliver 6 Gbps. The only way to reach that limit is with an SSD.

If the above suggestion works, you may want to consider adding an SSD to your machine for storing those big video files. It's going to be expensive though, given the space requirements.
  • ZejchZejch Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    About upgrading, I thought that maybe it was an integrated graphics core, which was not in 4820K. Or in newer chipset. Or in some mysterious technology newer processors has that allow them to read 5k.

I tried reading from flash, it didn't work. In my experience, 4k video plays good at standard hard drives. I get troubles only with 5k. And i'm monitoring task manager while watching video, hard drive's load is never high. Processor's load is high. Videocard's load is low too.

In any case, thank you for participating.
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 718 Poster of the Week
    If it's the CPU maxing out, then all I can suggest is trying a different player or converting the video to a different format. In regards to CPU technology, it really hasn't changed since 2011. They've made them more power efficient and bumped the clock speeds up, but the CPU architecture is pretty much identical (for Intel). The only new feature I've heard of is a 4k Netflix only decoder part on the newest i3/i5/i7-8xxx series chips. The 7xxx and older chips don't have it, nor do AMD chips.
  • GATOxVoSGATOxVoS Posts: 365
    Nexus 6
    I'm thinking along the lines of @BeastyBaiter in terms of the mechanical hard-drive limitations. Doing a quick calculation, going from 4k to 5k on video alone is almost a 2x step-up in pixel count. 4k and 5k on Youtube and other sites aren't truly 4k-5k (unless downloading the source) since they stream the compressed file to you. No way youtube would wan't the full 4k/5k videos to suck up their outgoing bandwidth.

And if you're talking about reading from a flash drive, I wouldn't trust it. I've never had a flash drive perform reads at their specifications consistently. Talking about a SSD and still not able to, then I'm a bit stumped.

I would try using a Ram disk application if you can, loading the video file onto ram completely then beginning to read. That would ensure that the HDD isn't at fault, and would point the finger directly at the CPU or other hardware in the pipeline (or possibly the software).
    PC Specs:
    Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
    Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
    GTX 1080
    16 GB RAM @ 3200 Mhz
    Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
    4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 5,464 Volunteer Moderator
    5K video on youtube is heavily compressed, meaning that it's lower bitrate and doesn't require a fast drive.

5K video depending on the codec and encoding quality can have a high bitrate, meaning a lot of data needs to be read from the drive fast, I assume you are playing the video from a spinning hard drive rather than an SSD?
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Brain Burst
    I asked people watching 5k, they are using regular HDD.
    Recently noticed that the graph "loading of the video core" in MSI Afterburner (which loading when i'm watching videos) drops to level 0 when i turn on high resolution video. And processor's load increases to 80-100% in that case. I think now that problem's key is this graph.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,373 Valuable Player
    edited April 18
    Zejch, give us some examples of videos that you've tried which lag, that we can get ourselves and i and maybe others can try to play them over the weekend.

Obviously if you are only talking about your own private vids on your PC we can't help but if we're talking yootoob...
    Brain Burst
    edited April 18
    It's 18+. I dont think i can post it here.) U can find them anywhere by the titles.
    That's normal video 093-czechvr-3d-3840x1920-60fps-oculusrift.mp4. Plays good. All the load falls on "videocore". I think that it's an integrated graphic core in processor (HD 630).

And here is 178-czechvr-3d-5400x2700-60fps-oculusrift_hq_h265.mp4. It lags. Videocore is not activating. All the load falls on processor and videocard.

Monitoring headers:
    -Temperature of GP
    -Temperature of CP
    -GP load
    -CP load
    -Cooler speed
    -RAM load
    -VIDEOCORE LOAD
    -Energy consumption
    -core frequency
    Brain Burst
    edited April 19
    I looked at the graphics, and I had the idea that "videocore" is a decoder in a video card, not a processor. Hmm.

P.S> Well, Some expertish people told me that 5k can only be viewed with video cards of the 10th generation. This is the answer.
  • jwvanderbeckjwvanderbeck Posts: 84
    Hiro Protagonist
    I've been trying to figure this out as well. 

I have an I7-4770k, 32gb RAM, and a 1080ti.  Video is on an SSD (Samsung 850 EVO) and I've tried multiple players, none of them can play back 5K video without massive stutter.

Has anyone managed this? The fact that these sites are releasing 5K videos implies someone can play them back lol, but I would think my machine would be able to do so!
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 4,699 Power Poster
    I've had no problems playing 5K videos with Virtual Desktop with in-app super-sampling at the default 2.0. I have an i7 6700K, 1080 and 32GB of DDR4.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • gfuryangfuryan Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I've been trying to figure this out as well. 

I have an I7-4770k, 32gb RAM, and a 1080ti.  Video is on an SSD (Samsung 850 EVO) and I've tried multiple players, none of them can play back 5K video without massive stutter.

Has anyone managed this? The fact that these sites are releasing 5K videos implies someone can play them back lol, but I would think my machine would be able to do so!
    Same here. Ryzen 5 1600x, 16GB, 1080ti and 5k video in the headset and the desktop (Win 10 Home) either has the audio about 5-8 seconds ahead of the video, or, in the case of MPC, the audio is in sync but it cuts out every 5-8 seconds.   I've updated graphics drivers, all motherboard drivers, installed k-lite codec pack and other things I've forgotten at this point.  I can't tell what's causing the issue because none of the cpu, mem, graphic card monitoring tools show any real bottlenecks.  
    Brain Burst
    It is sad. I was already sure that the problem in the 9th generation video card. After reading Jwvanderbeck's post i assumed that maybe trouble in ddr3 memory. But Gfuryan has ddr4, so this solution does not fit.

• lord_of_shredlord_of_shred Posts: 96
    Hiro Protagonist
    5k is normally compressed in h2.65./HVEC; according to this list:
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/981372/geforce-basics/which-gpus-support-hevc-a-k-a-h-265-/
    only 10th generation cards from the 1050 up are capable of decoding HVEC > 4k.
    I haven't found what harddrive you are using. At work I recently had a 5k video project with HVEC and I had no trouble streaming/cutting it from a WD Black 2tb drive. On a i76800k machine with a 1070. So I'd look into the bitrate of the file (if it could max out the read rate of your HD, if you're using a 5400rpm drive it might be the bottleneck)...but my first guess would be your graphics chip.
    NerveGear
    5k is normally compressed in h2.65./HVEC; according to this list:
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/981372/geforce-basics/which-gpus-support-hevc-a-k-a-h-265-/
    only 10th generation cards from the 1050 up are capable of decoding HVEC > 4k.
    I haven't found what harddrive you are using. At work I recently had a 5k video project with HVEC and I had no trouble streaming/cutting it from a WD Black 2tb drive. On a i76800k machine with a 1070. So I'd look into the bitrate of the file (if it could max out the read rate of your HD, if you're using a 5400rpm drive it might be the bottleneck)...but my first guess would be your graphics chip.
    In my case I have an nvidia 1080ti so gpu support for hvec isn't the issue.  I actually "upgraded" from a 1060ti to see if that would get me over the hump from 4k to 5k.  Normally I read my files from a NAS but one of the first things I tried was playing the file directly from my onboard M.2 SSD drive.  Exactly the same results, which is good I guess in the overall scheme of things :)  It's important to note that if you played the video without listening to the audio you wouldn't know there were any issues.  The video does playback smoothly and without artifacts.  It's just that when you listen to the audio while watching the video, they are out of sync.  This ONLY happens for 5K HEVC files.  4K HEVC works fine as well as vp9, H.264 and any resolution under 5K.  Technically I could add a delay to the audio whenever I play 5K HEVC files but so far I haven't found any VR player that allows you do to this.  So I'd have to set it at the codec level which is quite tedious :(   

Anyone have any 5K HEVC files that they are able to playback successfully that I can try out for reference?  NSFW isn't an issue.
    Brain Burst
    I cahnged my 980 videocard to 1060. All works fine now! It looks like your problem (guys with 1080Ti) is in a different area. You may need to enable hardware decoding support in your codecs' setup.
    Brain Burst
    NerveGear
    Zejch said:
    I cahnged my 980 videocard to 1060. All works fine now! It looks like your problem (guys with 1080Ti) is in a different area. You may need to enable hardware decoding support in your codecs' setup.
    Quick Update:  Switching the HW acceleration from DXVA2->Copyback to NVIDIA CUVID in LAV Filters did the trick.  Videos playback smooth even with 8x AA and 2x SS.  Everything I've read says DXVA2 should be the preferred choice but for some reason 5K HEVC plays back much cleaner with CUVID on my rig.  Hopefully this helps someone else down the road.
  • wthyneswthynes Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited August 11
    gfuryan said:
    Zejch said:
    Quick Update:  Switching the HW acceleration from DXVA2->Copyback to NVIDIA CUVID in LAV Filters did the trick.  Videos playback smooth even with 8x AA and 2x SS.  Everything I've read says DXVA2 should be the preferred choice but for some reason 5K HEVC plays back much cleaner with CUVID on my rig.  Hopefully this helps someone else down the road.

Switching the hardware acceleration also fixed this nagging issue for me. Thanks - I had been trying to fix it for a month or more.
  • IanRoberts2018IanRoberts2018 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi ! I'd just like to say a quick thank you to everyone that posted on this issue. I was having the same problem playing 6K video's the audio was very (over 10 seconds) out of sync. I made exactly the same change in my LAV Video settings to NVIDIA CUVID and it now plays perfectly. :-)
  • dan108dan108 Posts: 147
    Art3mis
    gfuryan said:
    Zejch said:
    hi can you give me a link to download this codec please? what video player do you use for vr? thx
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 4,699 Power Poster
    CzechVR videos are awesome. Apparently. So a friend tells me  :D B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever