New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

We're Having Trouble starting oculus bug?

osem598osem598 Posts: 1
NerveGear
When i click on the Oculus shortcut to start the software a message pops up that says:

We're Having Trouble starting oculus
Your oculus software may be updating. Please wait a minute and try again. If the issue continues, contact Oculus Support

I think I had this problem once before and i had to reinstall oculus, but now it's happening again.

I have windows 8.1 gtx950 amd cpu

Comments

• zeroyonezeroyone Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I encountered the same issue! Win10 with gtx970, intel cpu
  • MasterNyborgMasterNyborg Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I too am having this issue.
  • zeroyonezeroyone Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I just started having this problem today, too. This is what I did:
    Right click taskbar > task manager > services tab >  find OVRService (Oculus VR Runtime Service) > right click > Start > Then try opening Oculus Client again. This worked for me, let me know if it helps.  :)
    Sadly I can't start this service and that's the root cause. The support team is helping me out but I've been stuck there for a couple of days. Thanks for sharing this, hope it can help other ppl
  • jimmybond007jimmybond007 Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    zeroyone said:
    Right click taskbar > task manager > services tab >  find OVRService (Oculus VR Runtime Service) > right click > Start > Then try opening Oculus Client again. This worked for me, let me know if it helps.  :)
    Sadly I can't start this service and that's the root cause. The support team is helping me out but I've been stuck there for a couple of days. Thanks for sharing this, hope it can help other ppl
    Sorry that I couldn't be any more help
  • UnLuckyCharmssUnLuckyCharmss Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    This worked perfectly for me, thank you.
    NerveGear
    Awesome! Glad that I could help!
  • murascottimurascotti Posts: 20 Oculus Start Member
    Worked for me too 
    NerveGear
    Worked for me too 
    Nice!
  • Typo91Typo91 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    No help. its already running for me... and if i stop it and start it... all sorts of new problems happen.
  • TheNarutimate11TheNarutimate11 Posts: 1
    NerveGear

Genial. Muchísimas gracias. A mi me funcionó.
  • karkazak1karkazak1 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    thank work for me too 
    NerveGear
    karkazak1 said:
    thank work for me too 
    Nice
  • EricJ13EricJ13 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Worked for me too, thanks.
  • sxphersxpher Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    i dont even have the ovrservice wtf
  • bam2961bam2961 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    same problem it says its running but still get the error message

• GregTampaGregTampa Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    edited September 2018
    same issue service was already running .. restarted it and same error.. 

running oculus ssetup.exe inside the oculus install folder.. and clicking repair to see if this helps.

• leo1954auleo1954au Posts: 364
    Nexus 6
    edited October 2018
    Right click taskbar > task manager > services tab >  find OVRService (Oculus VR Runtime Service) > right click > Start > Then try opening Oculus Client again. This worked for me, let me know if it helps

Worked for me thanks

• LNDLibraryLNDLibrary Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Service already running here as well.
    Uninstalled, removed every mention of Oculus from registry, reinstalled, same thing. No help.
    Win 10 Pro fully patched. Started several weeks ago, so I'm guessing one of the MS Second Tuesday of the month updates broke it. Hope they find a solution soon, because my rig is in a Uni library, and people are starting to get VERY interested.
  • FancyHoboFancyHobo Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Right click taskbar > task manager > services tab >  find OVRService (Oculus VR Runtime Service) > right click > Start > Then try opening Oculus Client again. This worked for me, let me know if it helps.  

This fixed it thanks
  • isaakmishisaakmish Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Thanks a lot worked for me!
  • IceMakeRFRIceMakeRFR Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I have this issue also since some days, i uninstalled all oculus related software and reinstalled.
    Still have the error! The OVRService is runing
    i can make the oculus run wen i launch ovr server manually
  • RheedjecktRheedjeckt Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Me i can't even launch ovr server. 
  • BingoBangoBongoTVBingoBangoBongoTV Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    thanks chief
  • tadashi_fukamitadashi_fukami Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    How about starting \\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe manually?
  • Jake_DragonJake_Dragon Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    How about starting \\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe manually?
    From an admin command prompt or power shell running as an admin run these two commands exactly like they are wrote

net stop "Oculus VR Runtime Service"
    If the services is not running you will get an error
    net start "Oculus VR Runtime Service"
    If the service is running you will get an error

By trying to start the serviced from a command prompt you may receive a message you wont see from the GUI  
    Every time I have received this message its because the service has not started.

You can also try setting the recovery options in the service

And you can delay the start of the service so your internet has a chance to start running.

Good luck
  • MirikfrogMirikfrog Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Thanks it worked for me 
  • stanimir.dimitrowstanimir.dimitrow Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    edited January 2
    Hi, i received my Rift six days ago, and was so exited to try VR for the first time..and my attempts to fight with the software still persist . For many hours day after day, and its really discouraging! 

First were the problems with the installation of Oculus software itself  - getting the so famous "error during installation, please restart and so on.."' -you all know what i'm talking about, as read so many similar treads. Anyway figure it someway, using an Microsoft emulator and typing in the cmd. like we are still 1998.  But installed anyway, after three days of re-downloading , repairs and all kinda tweaks suggested in the forums. Thanks Guys

Then , when the software was installed , had a little hope, but for short, as another prob appeared. "Your Oculus  maybe updating..." error, also very popular here in the forums. Read and tried every possible solution that worked for some but still nothing works: Ovr runtime service start successfully, but Ovr LIBRARY Service stays Stoped , even i restart it goes terminated immediately, with some kinda "' service-specific error code 18".

Here is bit from the log file:

(Before few days)
    [Debug] [30.12.2018 г. 05:09:17 ч.] Starting up OVRLibraryService v1.16.0.0.
    [Debug] [30.12.2018 г. 05:09:17 ч.] Starting up.
    [Debug] [30.12.2018 г. 05:09:17 ч.] IPC connection opened.
    [Debug] [30.12.2018 г. 05:09:17 ч.] App libraries for this user: [CORE_DATA]
    [Debug] [30.12.2018 г. 05:09:17 ч.] IPC thread running; waiting for Oaf to connect.
    [Debug] [30.12.2018 г. 05:09:17 ч.] OVRLibraryService starting in service mode.  Arguments: [migrate, create-coredata]
    [Debug] [30.12.2018 г. 05:09:17 ч.] IPC connection established!
    [Debug] [30.12.2018 г. 05:09:17 ч.] Creating NTFS transaction.
    [Debug] [30.12.2018 г. 05:09:17 ч.] Committing changes.
    [Debug] [30.12.2018 г. 05:09:17 ч.] IPC connection destroyed.
    [Debug] [30.12.2018 г. 05:09:17 ч.] Exiting with code 0 (Success).

(Since new year , only this appear as i  try to start  
    [Debug] [3.1.2019 г. 00:05:23 ч.] Starting up OVRLibraryService v1.16.0.0.
    [Debug] [3.1.2019 г. 00:05:23 ч.] Starting up.
    [Debug] [3.1.2019 г. 00:05:23 ч.] OVRLibraryService was invoked with no arguments.  Exiting.

Something is stopping or blocking the service to start ( antivirus is off, defender is  off, firewall had green ticks for the oculus things, but still.....

Please , help me, just want to try this thing....and dont know what to do next, tried all from the forums.

my specs: 1060 6gb, dual XEON 5660, 32 GB Ram, Win7 ultimate
    Software check passed via : Intel® Software Development Emulator
  • Devastatin_DaveDevastatin_Dave Posts: 6 Oculus Start Member
    Yup, I have to kill the oculus dash process after a while manually or I'll have to reboot to get it to start, if I hit the "reboot oculus" button on settings even it just shuts down home then won't restart with that message.  Just now it was using 5g of ram and wouldn't let me start oculus services.  Soon as I kill the dash process everything starts fine and works fine.  This dash update is awful and I wish I could roll back to the simple version that just worked without the fancy home and dash and all this crap I didn't ask for anyway.