cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin' finally gets a PC release!

CrashFu
Consultant
Yesterday Double Fine dropped this announcement out of nowhere, in the form of a youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge7FMk5ixtc&t=0s

Sure enough, the game was immediately available on the Oculus store. And I immediately slammed down $20 and started downloading.  Haven't gotten the chance to play it yet, but I am SO looking forward to it! Heart

For those who haven't heard of this title, it's essentially 'Psychonauts 1.5',  a brand new game separate from the original Psychonauts and the upcoming Psychonauts 2, that takes place immediately after the events of the first game.   It was originally released as a PSVR exclusive, with no word whatsoever of a PC port  (much to the chagrin of Rift and Vive owning fans).  Seems like Double Fine must have been under a contract with Sony to not discuss the PC port, because I hadn't heard ANYTHING about this until the day it released.

Unlike the original Psychonauts (which was an action / platformer)  Rhombus of Ruin is more of a puzzle game;  you're locked in place, but can jump from your mind into other characters' to see from their perspective, while using other various psychic abilities to overcome obstacles / cause mischief.  All with tons of humorous dialogue along the way, of course.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
4 REPLIES 4

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
When you've spent some time on the game let me know what you think. I love puzzler's and this looks amusing!

CrashFu
Consultant
Update:  The game is short but thoroughly enjoyable!  Not many of the puzzles are actually challenging (though there are a couple good ones)  so most of the game feels more like just.. an interactive experience that you're going along with.. but it's very good at that.   Everything about it from the humorous and quirky writing to the colorful visuals to the voice acting is just delightful.

If you're a fan of the original Psychonauts, you're definitely going to want to check this out at some point.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin is an awesome point and click adventure (average rating 88 % in the Oculus Store), maybe not quite as good as Day of the Tentacle, but then again nothing is. Tim Schafer is back in great style - right now they're giving the game away practically for free on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/788690/Psychonauts_in_the_Rhombus_of_Ruin/

And maybe it's similarly priced in the Oculus Store - but I keep getting auto-logged-in and I already bought the game, so I can't see the price:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1792930504091043/

hh6v4xdo211v.jpg

96ooxayryq65.jpg

2dn83cqgcqjx.jpg

lyt6ydmjarll.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I forgot to buy this one. Getting it this week!