What is Oculus Good at compared to other VR systems? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

What is Oculus Good at compared to other VR systems?

DenRomDenRom Posts: 2
NerveGear
Hey I'm doing research for a school assignment and was hoping for some insights into what core competencies Oculus Rift has that they leverage to stay competitive.
any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• RoasterRoaster Posts: 1,053
    3Jane
    Price may be the main selling point. So to speak.

i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,990 Valuable Player
    edited April 2018
    1) Price
    2) The titles that they have funded which are their store front exclusives.
    3) Their motion controllers are fantastic, and most agree they beat anything else on the market right now.
    4) erganomics (windows hmds may rival, but the rifts main competitor is the core vive, which the rift "beats".
    5) image clarity in the rift (again comparing to the core vive, not the vive pro or samsung odyssey )
    6) the whole VR "experience" in home is far slicker than steams equivalent imo (again i have not tried the MS store in VR)

points 3-6 are largely subjective and some <cough>  @Atmos73 ;) would possibly say they are not true and the vive wins on all counts bar 1) and that 2) is a bad thing

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,989 Valuable Player
    1) Better tracking than the WVR headsets.

2) Better controllers than the Vive and WVR headsets.

3) Better quality displays and optics. The Rift's displays are sharper and clearer than the Vive's and there's less SDE.

4) Cheaper to manufacture than the Vive. The Vive has base stations with moving parts and lasers, the controllers and headsets have comparatively more expensive light sensors. The Rift uses glorified black and white webcams with filters on and IR LEDs on the headsets and controllers.

5) The Rift is more comfortable to wear compared to the Vive unless you spend another $99/£99 on a Deluxe Audio Strap.

6) Great quality built-in headphones (see above).

7) AAA quality games either exclusive to the Oculus Store or with timed exclusivity, funded by Facebook.

8) John Carmack lol

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Fri13Fri13 Posts: 46
    Brain Burst

The design = Industrial design (shape, size, weight) and look (design) from texture fabric, strap feels etc.

The functionality = have a external sensors (IR cameras) so you can track any device regardless your FOV (flaw in inside-out in Microsoft design) and so you can build the tracked device very simple as you need just to make it have IR LED pattern and Bluetooth LE if you want to send signal (trigger, button pushes) to HMD (the controllers connect to HMD, that then delivers all to PC).

Price = Lowest price for the performance. Some Microsoft Mixed Reality like Samsung Odyssey has lower price but you have inside-out tracking and "weak controllers".

The ergonomics = there ain't better VR controllers at the moment than Oculus Touch controllers. You naturally grab them, squeeze the grip trigger, the pistol trigger is "in correct place" and doesn't feel bad. You have physical feedback with mini-sticks (although I would like idea to use touchpads as well) and they are very light and small so weight is balanced well in your fist and it doesn't become feeling you are handling a "fishing rod". And the controllers has AA battery on each of them so you don't need to worry about running out of power but can just in a minute swap new AA rechargeable inside and keep going.

Software support = Best support you have for the wide games. One reason is because Oculus is "supporting" the developers so they will get guidance from Oculus how to do things better. And if Oculus Studio is working with Studio, they will get exclusive great games like "Lone Echo" or "Robo Recall" that really are designed well for the VR. The HTC Vive has more "Openess" via OpenVR architecture, but the Steam store is full of B-class games that are more of a prototypes and demos than actual "games".

But there are the negative ones, like for a traveling person "Inside-Out" tracking is better as you don't need external sensors. So you can take your laptop and go to friend place and just start running. The Valve "Lighthouse" idea supports better the larger areas than 4x5m and with just two or three lighthouses (laser beacons emitting laser code across space) you can run as many HMD or controller as the controllers has IR cameras (dozens) that looks for the laser beacon position. So controllers and HMD are more expensive as there are many cameras in devices, but you can create large "VR LAN PARTY" as only few lighthouses are required, while with Oculus each VR device needs their own sensors.

In VR you are going to spend time. So the HMD needs to be nice to wear. And even the new HTC Vive Pro is heavy and awkward by its weight distribution. I tested it only for like 10 minutes and didn't like how it made neck feel stiffer. While Rift I can wear for hours (flight sim) without problems and I need to look at my six when sitting down in strapped chair (no way to swivel chair) or look up and constantly look down and up.

If I would want something from the Rift CV2, it should be something far better than what "HTC Vive Pro" was. Here are my few wishes for 2018-2019:

1) Additional "Touch Gloves" that would allow me to grab HOTAS and operate aircraft cockpit without controllers. Backward compatible to CV1!!!!

2) No need to increase vertical field of view, but 50-70% wider horizontal FOV would be needed! Meaning the current panels that are 1080 x 1200 (width * height) should be updated to something like 2160 x 1080 or even 2160 x 1440 and set them so that field of view is really wide. So a person with glasses can get whole width covered. The increase in resolution would be nice, but that comes with serious impact to performance so optics is the key. Just get the wider FOV and work with the Screen Door Effect (space between pixels to be minimal).  You can as well add color LEDs around the HMD so you can create a immersive coloring to match the edge of panel colors (like what a Phillips does with their televisions!). Of course higher resolution panels can be used and then just send lower resolution signal and let the displays to scale it up.

3) Do not change the design, the weight etc is just great. Be compatible with the CV1 sensors and all that. So people can just by the CV2 and be happy! If people need to buy new sensors etc, it is not going to go well!

4) Add a camera in front so you can see where you are stepping or you can raise from chair and walk to your keyboard and use computer from that way, without looking through the hole around nose.

5) Open Up the IR tracking code so people could build a own controllers easily and program them to system! Like bunch of IR leds, micro controller with bluetooth etc. People would be able to make own controllers!

6) Offer a official longer cable for HMD. So people can be without extension cables. Offer a extension like 7m and 10m that can be bought and swapped. No need for wireless as that is battery powered, requires to carry something etc. Just let the cable be long enough! I wrote a suggestion (that some didn't take at all in) that Oculus should add a "anti-twist cable" function to their software that would keep a track of you how many rotations you do while playing and it would by your chosen count then give you a warning that you should do X amount of rotations to left/right direction to untangle the cable. So you don't need to remove the HMD at all or unplug cables etc. You just would go the X amount turns around and cable is untangled again. So you could example get pop-up in danger rotations, otherwise just in the Oculus Menu a counter that tells "5 rotations to left" so you can do it when you want. 

snowdog said:

8) John Carmack lol

you put a LOL on the end of this but personally I think this is a massive thing often undersold.

I know Palmer Lucky is the Founder and ultimately the reason oculus exists... But i would be far more unhappy if i found out Carmack was leaving VR than i was when i found out PL had left oculus.

imo Carmack is quite possibly the main reason why the oculus software is so much better than steamVR.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • DenRomDenRom Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Thanks everyone! really appreciate the help
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 788
    3Jane
    I think it comes down to price and the overall package. At $400, it is cheap enough for the hardcore PC gamer crowd to justify but still expensive enough that it can be a high quality device. The inclusion of several high quality and well liked games (Robo Recall being the biggest) with the purchase further drives the value side of it. But that isn't the only part, there are also the controllers.

The controllers for the Rift are industry leading, nothing else comes close to their ergonomics and quality feel. This is a widely agreed upon point by VR users across all the major headsets. That doesn't mean the other controllers are bad, simply that the Rift's are a cut above and the standard by which all others are judged. They also offer better tracking than the WMR headsets. Though I think this is a minor point for home users, it is one more point for the Rift.

The combination of these factors make the Rift highly compelling for home users despite the inferior image quality compared to the latest devices.
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 424
    Trinity
    edited April 2018
    Software. And I'm not talking games.

Oculus' SDK and software features are miles ahead of the competition. STEAMVR may have more games and allow better compatibility with other headsets, but it's missing key features and is the lesser SDK to use for the best VR experience.  

Examples: ASW, CTWL,  Home, Dash, PTW, platform stability (less crash than steam), recently played with feature, etc..
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,128 Valuable Player

imo Carmack is quite possibly the main reason why the oculus software is so much better than steamVR.

It’s also the reason why Oculus switched priority to Mobile/Standalone. 
    DK2 owner - Vive owner - Pimax 8k backer - Waiting for Knuckles on Valve time.
    Atmos73 said:

whilst it is true Carmack is focussed on mobile, and yes i would prefer he was only interested in PC "tethered"...... it would be naive to think that any benefits he makes to these other devices wont directly benefit pc users imo.
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 424
    Trinity
    edited April 2018
    Atmos73 said:

John Carmack: I'm for "magic software over magic hardware".  If you watch his entire speech, he states he chose to work on mobile VR because it forces him/them to prioritize software efficiency and tricks to squeeze every last drop of performance out of the mobile hardware.

Thus, Carmack has lead to modern Asynchronous technology (ATW --> ASW, Valve's Async Reprojection, and Microsoft's new Async Motion Reprojection [even WMR has ASW now, get off your lazy ass Valve and make a ASW]); and soon Oculus gets Positional Time Warp [an upgraded ASW]. The developer of Virtual Desktop will also attest that the Oculus version of his software "looks better" because it has Cylindrical Time Warp Layer Support (another Carmack black voodoo magic).

I mean it's sad when Carmack is focusing on Mobile/Standalone and can pump out software optimizations that we Rifters benefit from. While Valve is solely focusing on PC-VR and they can't even come close.

In Carmack We Trust ! (and Abrash too !)

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,989 Valuable Player
    Atmos73 said:

John Carmack: I'm for "magic software over magic hardware".  If you watch his entire speech, he states he chose to work on mobile VR because it forces him/them to prioritize software efficiency and tricks to squeeze every last drop of performance out of the mobile hardware.

Thus, Carmack has lead to modern Asynchronous technology (ATW --> ASW, Valve's Async Reprojection, and Microsoft's new Async Motion Reprojection [even WMR has ASW now, get off your lazy ass Valve and make a ASW]); and soon Oculus gets Positional Time Warp [an upgraded ASW]. The developer of Virtual Desktop will also attest that the Oculus version of his software "looks better" because it has Cylindrical Time Warp Layer Support (another Carmack black voodoo magic).

I mean it's sad when Carmack is focusing on Mobile/Standalone and can pump out software optimizations that we Rifters benefit from. While Valve is solely focusing on PC-VR and they can't even come close.

In Carmack We Trust ! (and Abrash too !)

Ta. Saved me a bit of typing there B)

I found it quite amusing that some idiots on Reddit starting claiming that Carmack was 'finished' in the industry when this nonsense Zenimax court case started. The man is a genius and will ALWAYS have a place in the industry no matter what he does.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever