New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Fallout 4 VR - Looks Like HTC's Timed Exclusive Has Ended!

snowdogsnowdog Posts: 3,904 Power Poster
Bethesda have now patched in support for other HMDs. That makes the exclusivity period 136 days which is a bit of an odd number tbh. No idea why they decided on that number.

Details here:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/611660#announcements/detail/1646506112752382817

posted by JessBethesda @ 06:04PM on April 27, 2018
A new beta update is now available for Fallout 4 VR. Please find patch notes below for what you can expect in this update. 

If you run into any issues from this update, please let us know here, or on our official forums. Instructions on how to opt-in to the Steam beta are also available below. 

Thank you for your continued feedback!

Fallout 4 VR Beta Update 1.2.66.0 Patch Notes
  • Added support for additional SteamVR-compatible headsets and motion controllers
  • Adjusted controls for workshop mode, including a toggleable palette
  • Performance improvements
  • Minor fixes

How to Opt-In to the Steam Beta:
  1. Log into Steam.
  2. Right Click on Fallout 4 VR in your Library.
  3. Select Properties.
  4. Select Betas.
  5. A drop down menu will appear. Select Fallout 4 VR Update 1.2.66.0
  6. Select OK.
  7. Wait for the game to update.
  8. When done, Fallout 4 VR Update 1.2.66.0 should appear in your Library.

Think I'm going to buy that now! B)
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Comments

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 3,293 Valuable Player

What wait.... off to try now.

I'm very excited.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1803
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 3,904 Power Poster
    Let us know how it plays on the Rift please. It's had some good feedback on Reddit so far but I want to make sure before I buy it. Ta! :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• SimonSays28SimonSays28 Posts: 534
    Neo
    Awesome news - I will likely get this now, I just wish it came with all the DLC.
    Check out my band at http://theheavyjack3.bandcamp.com/ - our entire discography has been released for free download.

If anyone wants to get it for a decent price I've found it here for £24.79.

https://uk.mmoga.net/advanced_search.php?keywords=fallout+4+vr

No idea what sort of dodgy shenanigans they do to get these cheap prices but I've bought Steam games from there before and they've worked without a problem.

I originally told myself I wouldn't pay more than 20 quid for it but I'll bite at just under £25 I think.

edited April 27

It works, it works.... IT WORKS!

AND... no more scenery pop-in which I was getting on the extreme right when head turning!!!!!

There goes everything useful I had planned for the rest of the summer.

Snowdog, I could kiss you.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1803

AND... no more scenery pop-in which I was getting on the extreme right when head turning!!!!!

I tell you what. You and @vannagirl can fight for me. :p

*Picks up phone and orders a mudbath*

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,025 Power Poster

So they've implemented proper Touch controls??!! If so, that's awesome!! What is the control scheme like?

I had decided to put FO4VR aside until they patched it, as I was sick of switching into and out of the SteamVR beta to play it (since the beta doesn't work with other games like SkyrimVR).

That said, I still don't have enough time to play SkyrimVR, FO4VR, and everything else, but I do have some time off coming up soon, so I'm looking forward to catching up on my gaming!
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 2,897 Valuable Player
    Excellent, I think I will still go for Skyrim 1st and wait for fallout to get to the complete edition... But this is fab news.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    So from what I've seen on Reddit, jump and sneak are like Skyrim now (up and down on the primary hand joystick). Also, turning is now done with just pushing the stick (no more clicking!!), and it sounds like smooth turning instead of incremental is an option now (like Skyrim as well).

If interaction has been moved to the A button (which I suspect is likely), I'll use Input Emulator to move it to the grip button like I've gotten used to, but other than that, this sounds great!
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 10,534 Power Poster
    It turned out to be way less of a "timed exclusive" and much more of a "closed beta."

A good example of a timed exclusive is, Robinsons the Journey. It was on PSVR first, then the Rift. It also worked exceedingly well at launch on both platforms.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    There are still people on Reddit that are in denial about this timed exclusive business for Fallout 4 VR too lol

Fallout 4 VR

• HTC bought advance copies to give away for free with every Vive purchase
    • Fallout 4 VR didn't work on the Rift and WVR headsets unless you fucked about with it and it controlled like shite
    • 136 days pass and Bethesda add support for the Rift and WVR headsets

Skyrim VR

• Sony did a deal officially known as a PSVR timed exclusive
    • 137 days pass and then it's released on Steam for ALL PC VR headsets
    It's too much of a coincidence for it not to be true that HTC had some sort of exclusivity deal going.

I was never against HTC having exclusives for the Vive. I'm in full support of that concept for all VR organization's.
  • PabbertPabbert Posts: 126
    Art3mis
    Aw bugger, I just paid £24.79 for it. Oh well, it's only a fiver lol

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 534
    Neo
    Hmmmm .... £20, I have to buy in I guess ...
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,371
    3Jane
    edited April 27
    Brilliant, I have had it a while and it was a Royal pain having to map the controls. Controls pretty much the same as Skyrim now. Menu of course is on your pip boy and there is a different favs selection (it's a wheel of weapons} . Pretty amazing game which I have been enjoying for some time now. All the controls seem to work fine. Only single hand for weapons but just hold your gun with right hand and it works fine.

• SimonSays28SimonSays28 Posts: 534
    Neo
    I am going to wait to get this one on sale - I have played most of the main quest and beat the Far Harbour main quest. I wasn't a big fan of the settlement building and such. But once they release the DLC for this and with mods - I can see myself definitely getting back into it.

That said - Bethesda ain't getting my money just yet especially while I have Skyrim to keep me busy lol.
    Check out my band at http://theheavyjack3.bandcamp.com/ - our entire discography has been released for free download.

• BrixmisBrixmis Posts: 1,308
    Wintermute
    edited April 28
    @snowdog - thanks for the mmoga link - some really good offers there.
    I'm an old duffer - give me a break!

No probs. No idea how they get those prices but I haven't had any problems with games I've bought from there so far.

snowdog said:
    Just played the intro and got out of Vault 111. The fuckers killed my husband and took my kid. Arvina is going to WAR :o :dizzy:

Have found that the PipBoy is bloody HUGE. Found the bit in the Settings where you can change the size but now it's located in a funny place rather than my wrist. Oh Well, I'll get used to it I guess lol
    I've been using the floating Pip-boy rather than the wrist-mounted one for a couple reasons--the floating one allows you to use both hands to manipulate the menus, and it pauses the game (it keeps going in real time if you use the wrist-mounted option) . Both features helped deal with the finicky menu controls while I was mucking about in the Pip-boy.

Now that the controls have been improved, maybe I'll give the immersive wrist-mounted Pip-boy another go and see how I like it.
    edited April 28
    I think they've moved the position of the PipBoy so that you don't have to look up your arm to see it, it's basically where your hand is. I wish someone could do a mod to move its position though.

I found a mod that positions the PipBoy on your arm

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 2,897 Valuable Player
    I wish Bethesda would just come out with it and tell us if they have much interest in officially supporting the fallout dlc for vr. I only want to buy if I can get the complete edition. I rarely buy half games. 

If they will I will wait, if they won't I will by what there is and hack. Not knowing I will do neither
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    The DLC works, you just copy the files across apparently.

• MrKaruMrKaru Posts: 309 Poster of the Week
    edited April 28
    Guess I'm picking this up.i enjoyed what little of skyrim vr I played but I definitely prefer gun - focused games when it comes to vr .

I just hope they've made the menus easier to deal with, from what I read about it since launch its been a nightmare. Making it "usable" isnt really what I'm hoping for, I want it to be optimised and perfected. 
  • FastForward352FastForward352 Posts: 137
    Art3mis
    I've been wanting this game for a long time even before it came to VR, but I'll wait a bit more to buy it. I have to finish Obduction and The Talos Principle first, then a few other ones before I buy anything more.
    And in a few months, there will probably be some updates to make it almost perfect for the Rift :)
    Asus X99-A MB | i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz | Asus ROG-STRIX 1080Ti | 32 Gb RAM | SSD SAMSUNG 500Go M-2 |  Samsung 40" 4K Screen | T500RS & TH8A Shifter on Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog & Combat Rudder Pedals | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | OCULUS RIFT CV1 - 3 Sensor roomscale setup

I've been wanting this game for a long time even before it came to VR, but I'll wait a bit more to buy it. I have to finish Obduction and The Talos Principle first, then a few other ones before I buy anything more.
    And in a few months, there will probably be some updates to make it almost perfect for the Rift :)

I still need to re-play Obduction since the creators recently added more content.
    Well, the good news is that the controls work well, and all the jankiness of trying to scroll the menus and clicking the sticks constantly is gone. The bad news is that Input Emulator doesn't work*, so I can't use the Grab button for picking up items anymore. I guess I can either get used to suing A/X to pick things up, or find another way (maybe AutoHotkey).

*It doesn't work outside of the SteamVR input emulator compatibility beta, which now breaks most games, including SkyrimVR. I haven't tested whether the new FO4VR beta update works with the old SteamVR IE-compat beta, but I suspect that it won't.

nalex66 said:
    Well, the good news is that the controls work well, and all the jankiness of trying to scroll the menus and clicking the sticks constantly is gone. The bad news is that Input Emulator doesn't work*, so I can't use the Grab button for picking up items anymore. I guess I can either get used to suing A/X to pick things up, or find another way (maybe AutoHotkey).

*It doesn't work outside of the SteamVR input emulator compatibility beta, which now breaks most games, including SkyrimVR. I haven't tested whether the new FO4VR beta update works with the old SteamVR IE-compat beta, but I suspect that it won't.

Yeah, I think it's a good thing I hadn't gotten very far into the VR version, so will try and just get used to the default setup. Which shouldn't take too long.

Can't wait to go to Far Harbour, that place is going to be properly scary in Survival mode in VR.