Apple Ar-Vr — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Apple Ar-Vr

Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,168 Volunteer Moderator
Could Apple be about to step on some toes? Well in 2020 maybe ;) https://www.engadget.com/amp/2018/04/27/apple-ar-headset-may-offer-8k-and-vr/
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,749 Valuable Player
    Nobody is going to be worried. If this headset is like EVERYTHING else they've ever made it's going to be expensive and more of a fashion accessory than a useful piece of hardware.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,573 Valuable Player

Pfft why buy a Rift when I can pay four times as much for another unit that nearly the same but pure white with a fruit logo on it.

WAAAGH!
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 912
    3Jane
    Well, aside from the knee-jerk Apple bashing here, I will say two things: 1. Apple is more invested in AR than VR because there’s more money to be made from AR (McDonald’s ahead at next exit) and 2. Apple usually waits until a technology becomes popular and has proven its worth and then figures out a way to make it better (Apple is more of an innovator than a pioneer). 
  • BrokenSymmetryBrokenSymmetry Posts: 250
    Nexus 6
    Apple products are surely expensive. But they get things done in elegant ways. They are expensive yet popular for a reason.

I am excited to see what Apple magic can do to VR.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,749 Valuable Player
    Apple products are surely expensive. But they get things done in elegant ways. They are expensive yet popular for a reason.

They're expensive because they're trendy to own. That's why they're so popular. An Apple product is a fashion accessory rather than a decent piece of hardware, this has been the case for DECADES and won't change anytime soon either.

They also have a habit of not being able to have standard files being watched or listened to due to using proprietary formats. Their AR/VR device will be exactly the same I expect.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • BrokenSymmetryBrokenSymmetry Posts: 250
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2018
    snowdog said:

They're expensive because they're trendy to own. That's why they're so popular. An Apple product is a fashion accessory rather than a decent piece of hardware, this has been the case for DECADES and won't change anytime soon either.

They also have a habit of not being able to have standard files being watched or listened to due to using proprietary formats. Their AR/VR device will be exactly the same I expect.
    They are trendy because of their elegant design. They are popular because they are not only designed elegantly, but also get things done elegantly. I can't imagine a piece of elegantly designed but fundamentally shitware can become popular.

By "a decent piece of hardware", are you referring to specs on paper? If that is the case, you have a point. But to me, as far as mobile devices are concerned, specs on paper means nothing. Apple products runs much smoother than even high-end Android phones that look great on paper, especially after 1 or 2 years of usage. I am not even comparing the quality of software in iOS App Store and in Google Play.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,920 Valuable Player
    edited April 2018
    Ok enough of the Apple bashing. They make good products that have lasted me well for YEARS. 

That said I look forward to seeing what they do with this.   (Android sucks crap anyways )
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,111 Valuable Player
    I believe that there are more Apple haters than Facebook-Oculus haters, so one thing I'm looking forward to now is... Apple finally doing their part and taking on their fair share of the VR trolls.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,799 Volunteer Moderator
    I think the fact that Apple have finally announced their intentions is enough to inject a good amount of interest back into VR. That in turn may be all it takes to sway some software houses to start developing... if they haven't already.

Regardless of what we think of Apple pricing, they have that news-grabbing ability.
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,111 Valuable Player
    I think the fact that Apple have finally announced their intentions is enough to inject a good amount of interest back into VR. That in turn may be all it takes to sway some software houses to start developing... if they haven't already.

Regardless of what we think of Apple pricing, they have that news-grabbing ability.

Good point. And compared to Microsoft, I feel that Apple will make a stronger impact on AR/VR than whatever MS thinks their doing with WMR.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,185
    Wintermute

Zenbane said:

Good point. And compared to Microsoft, I feel that Apple will make a stronger impact on AR/VR than whatever MS thinks their doing with WMR.
      Thinking about it, it will definately be good for the whole of the VR community when apple steps up to claim the throne.
     We all know what they will deliver, and that´s a product that wont fit most of us dedicated VR users, but Apple fanboism will definately attract a lot of people. If just 1% of these turns into dedicated users, they will turn to the PC platform and help the market growth.
    Be good, die great !

I guess it's way to early to make any judgement on how big an impact Apple VR hardware will have but if they're committed... and letting people know, that's a good thing.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, I think in this case, having a strong fan-base won't be a guarantee of hardware success. Where Apple sells well is in the areas where the hardware is shown-off, where other people can see it. We're still living to small degree with the legacy of mobile phones being a status symbol and an expensive one causes it to be desirable because we're showing off our success, same with a lot of things we make visible in public. I've been as guilty of that as anyone... years ago I used to be very proud of my super-slim little Vaio laptop, ipods had the same cool factor.

It's a little different with home electronics, there's much less of a show-off factor with visitors to your home, so performance/price is king. Apple TV has never been a status symbol so it has to compete on a level playing field with Netflix & Amazon & Sky. Apple AR/VR will be a home electronics item unless they have something really small and lightweight in mind, so we'll see!

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    Was waiting for apple to invent VR, it does actually exist yet.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,168 Volunteer Moderator
    I am an avid android fan because I love fiddling with the OS which is open source. I love a good jailbreak so i won't bash Apple. I do have 4 ipads but will never get a phone as they're too linear. Will I get an apple headset ? Yeah i suppose lol
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,573 Valuable Player
    I use their phones and tablets but I wont touch their desktops or laptops.
    WAAAGH!
    I loved my Nokia Windows phone... absolutely loved it. Now I have an iPhone... and it's just a phone.