New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

GPU Prices set to return to normal sooner than later

LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
Great NEWS!

"According to Digitimes, Taiwan-based graphics card makers Gigabyte Technology, Micro-Star International (MSI) and TUL (PowerColor) expect to see April shipments drop by about 40%. “Channel distributors and larger mining farm operators have cut orders with makers of mining graphics cards and mining motherboards or asked them to suspend shipments due to the crypto mining craze waning abruptly from the beginning of April”, one of their sources said."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcochiappetta/2018/04/27/gpu-makers-poised-for-massive-drop-in-shipments-due-to-reduced-demand-from-crypto-miners/#52e1e48a5021
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)

Comments

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,153 Valuable Player
    They are already back at RRP which is ok I guess. That said normally I would be expecting less than RRP by now this late in the product cycle
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2018
    They are already back at RRP which is ok I guess. That said normally I would be expecting less than RRP by now this late in the product cycle
    Yeah, 11 series is just around the corner, I wouldn't be surprised if you will be able to snag a 1080ti for £499 in a few months.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 767
    3Jane
    edited April 2018
    I doubt retailers are going to just drop the prices back to pre mining days as long as miners are still paying whatever for the hardware, most of the UK online is still hoovering around the usual high price for GPU's, i think their lowest gtx1080 is £490, and i doubt we will see them drop in any great amount, maybe when the 11 series come sout the GTX1070 might take a dive simply due to miners moving to better faster hardware,....but at present they are still just silly.......and yes, i bought a GTX1080 for £470 before Xmas because i am complete twat, talk about buyer remorse. lol
    1080 for £470? That's not a bad price it's less than RRP I think. I *almost* bit a few weeks back for an inno3D X2 1080ti for £630. I am still undecided if I regret not getting it....
    The thing is the 1080ti is not a 4k capable gpu that you can just pick ultra for everything and not worry about performance. In all honesty I doubt the 1180 will be either but I can't wait till the 1180ti as am getting upgradeitis after having the same GPU since Nov 2014
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • SimonSays28SimonSays28 Posts: 578
    Neo
    I am not really to worried about 4k - I don't have a 4k monitor and am not planning on getting one anytime soon. But if the 1070 takes a dive I may upgrade to that depending on the price of the 1170.

My 970 is still going strong and has been able to keep up with either ultra settings or very high settings in 1080p for most games I have purchased over the last year (FC5, the new Wolfenstein game, Watch Dogs 2, etc.). So I have no problem being in the mid-tier of graphics card.

The only reason I want to upgrade is for better VR, lol
    Check out my band at http://theheavyjack3.bandcamp.com/ - our entire discography has been released for free download.

I oversample with my 1080, so 4k res on a 1080p monitor, makes a huge difference in texture clarity

• SimonSays28SimonSays28 Posts: 578
    Neo
    Does it really make that much of a difference? I have turned it on a few times in games and I can never really tell if I am just imagining a clarity boost or if it is actually there - mind you on most games it cooks my 970 and the game is pretty much unplayable. lol
    Check out my band at http://theheavyjack3.bandcamp.com/ - our entire discography has been released for free download.

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,367 Valuable Player
    I was very happy with my 970, before and after VR. I only upgraded because of the required spec given for the then fast approaching DCS World 2.5. So I got a 1060 6GB. I don't see any improvement really, in VR, but it did do a good job with 2D games. Worst thing being, once 2.5 was out and ran so poorly on the previously recommended systems that they changed the spec to requiring a 1080Ti, which has pissed me off so much that I ditched DCS on the spot.

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,701 Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2018
    Hopefully none of the miners are cancelling their orders because they're now waiting for the imminent 11 series.
    It sounds like it's down to the Bitcoin market so fingers crossed... I may be able to afford to finish putting together that living room PC I promised myself, study is too small for VR
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
    edited April 2018
    Hopefully none of the miners are cancelling their orders because they're now waiting for the imminent 11 series.
    It sounds like it's down to the Bitcoin market so fingers crossed... I may be able to afford to finish putting together that living room PC I promised myself, study is too small for VR

The 1080 is now at MSRP of £499 a Ti for a bargain £640

Same Ti was £1000 3 months ago

It's tempting  LZ, I'm waiting for the 1180, suppose I should wait for 1180ti but the wait's getting tough
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
    edited April 2018
    It's tempting  LZ, I'm waiting for the 1180, suppose I should wait for 1180ti but the wait's getting tough

Yup, im holding out on the 11 series too!!

I'm sitting with friends and nearly played that out loud.
    DO IT! It's a classic!

edited April 2018

Do you know where has stock at 640? The inno3d @teckshop has now gone up
    DO IT! It's a classic!
    There are some songs that hairy arsed engineers can't admit to liking
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,479 Valuable Player
    I'm going to stick with my 1080 for a few more years I think. The next wad of cash I'm planning on spending is on a Yaw VR motion simulator if they end up being good. Going to need to save up though because they're 1100 notes on their website if I'm remembering correctly. They're trying to get more investors which will mean they can manufacture them in China instead of Hungary which should knock 2 or 3 hundred quid off I think.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 767
    3Jane
    edited April 2018
    1080 for £470? That's not a bad price it's less than RRP I think. I *almost* bit a few weeks back for an inno3D X2 1080ti for £630. I am still undecided if I regret not getting it....
    The thing is the 1080ti is not a 4k capable gpu that you can just pick ultra for everything and not worry about performance. In all honesty I doubt the 1180 will be either but I can't wait till the 1180ti as am getting upgradeitis after having the same GPU since Nov 2014
    That £470 was a 1 hour sale only and they only had three going, normal price was £599. lol

I thought i was grabbing a bargain but buyers remorse soon appeared, i am still on the fence as to just sticking it up on ebay and get  at least close to my money back, and sticking my GTX970 back in, that was working fine and i only have a 1080p monitor anyway, yes the extra power did help somewhwt with some VR games, but to be honest W10, Steam and Rift updates just seem to be constantly breaking it one way or another when i do get it working the way i want it. lol
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 810
    3Jane
    OmegaM4N said:
    I doubt retailers are going to just drop the prices back to pre mining days as long as miners are still paying whatever for the hardware, most of the UK online is still hoovering around the usual high price for GPU's, i think their lowest gtx1080 is £490, and i doubt we will see them drop in any great amount, maybe when the 11 series come sout the GTX1070 might take a dive simply due to miners moving to better faster hardware,....but at present they are still just silly.......and yes, i bought a GTX1080 for £470 before Xmas because i am complete twat, talk about buyer remorse. lol
    Miners stopped buying GPU's 3 months ago. In fact, ebay is currently flooded with used mining cards as miners are trying to dump them.

In any case, prices are probably as low now as they are going to be on the retail side. I went into Fry's the other day and they were still trying to sell off GTX 750's at their MSRP from 5 years ago. Eventually they'll unload them all on idiots who just buy whatever is on the shelf that day at whatever the price is. Same will happen with the GTX 10xx series. Prices won't go down any further due to memory pricing. Gamer's Nexus made a video the other day on this. Cards like the RX 580 and GTX 1060 have around a third of their retail price just going to the VRAM manufacturers. Throw in the rest of the GPU, the middle men and the retailers and the end result is the cards just can't be sold for any less than they already are. This is why it's reasonably well accepted that the GTX 11xx series will feature a sizable price bump over the 10xx series MSRP's. AMD's upcoming 7nm Vega chips will likely do the same.

Do you know where has stock at 640? The inno3d @teckshop has now gone up
    Sorry £680 ... in stock May 1st
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/nvidia/geforce-gtx-1080-ti

OmegaM4N said:
    Miners stopped buying GPU's 3 months ago. In fact, ebay is currently flooded with used mining cards as miners are trying to dump them.

In any case, prices are probably as low now as they are going to be on the retail side. I went into Fry's the other day and they were still trying to sell off GTX 750's at their MSRP from 5 years ago. Eventually they'll unload them all on idiots who just buy whatever is on the shelf that day at whatever the price is. Same will happen with the GTX 10xx series. Prices won't go down any further due to memory pricing. Gamer's Nexus made a video the other day on this. Cards like the RX 580 and GTX 1060 have around a third of their retail price just going to the VRAM manufacturers. Throw in the rest of the GPU, the middle men and the retailers and the end result is the cards just can't be sold for any less than they already are. This is why it's reasonably well accepted that the GTX 11xx series will feature a sizable price bump over the 10xx series MSRP's. AMD's upcoming 7nm Vega chips will likely do the same.
    We will see a £100 drop when series 11 comes out, it always happens.

edited April 2018

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,479 Valuable Player
    I always buy the most powerful card that's available when I build a new machine and that was the 1080. Then I usually have that machine last me until I build a new machine in 5 year's time or so.

I might change this regular plan that I've been doing for donkey's years though depending on what happens with the Minimum and Recommended Specs for the CV2 next year. I think we might be looking at 1070 Minimum and 1080 Recommended Specs for a GPU next generation, although if Oculus manage to sort out foveated rendering we could be looking at the current specs for the CV1 not changing for a 4K CV2 headset next year.

Going to be interesting to see what happens.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    That's reasonable... I've tended to be on a 3 year cycle for graphics cards and maybe a PC build with every other graphics card. 3 years is up.
    Mine's 2 years - and sometimes I just update a couple of bits. Though the last one I only wanted to upgrade the graphics card and cpu. but because a cpu upgrade meant a new mobo, I had to buy new RAM as well.

Wouldn't mind, but I'm a pauper! :(

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,500 Valuable Player
    That's reasonable... I've tended to be on a 3 year cycle for graphics cards and maybe a PC build with every other graphics card. 3 years is up.

I used to be that way, until I got into VR then it became balls to the wall LOL.  First a 1080, then a 1080 Ti, and anxiously awaiting to see what comes with the 1100 series cards. Just waiting a few more months before pulling the trigger on a new PC build.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Luckily CV1 more or less coincided with my last planned PC build so yeah I was all in for that one... the Maxwell Titan proved to be one of my rare good decisions, CV1 was another ;)
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,007 Valuable Player
    Just glad to of picked up my 1080 when i did and before all this loco pricing!!!

Wont worry of an upgrade unless a cv2 comes with lots of upgrade. The 10 series seem great for vr generally and im not paid enough to care for the latest tech  :|
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    Yeah, I think the only reason for me to upgrade soon is the need for a second VR PC in the living room... I just keep bashing my Touches on my desk & walls in the study. Surprised nothing has broken yet, the Touches are pretty robust.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,405 Volunteer Moderator
    just had a look at NewEgg out of curiosity. The actually have stock of a variety of GTX 1080s, at somewhat reasonable prices--they're in the same range that I paid for mine 2 years ago, so they're still high compared to where they should be after this much time has passed. (Actually, didn't the 1080s get a price cut when the 1080Ti released?)

Anyway, glad I grabbed my 1080 when I did. We'll see what the new line-up of cards is like soon, but at this point I don't foresee any need to upgrade for quite a while yet.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0