New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus GO Unboxing

LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
Someone got their hands on it already, however, the companion mobile app is not yet available.

https://imgur.com/gallery/7MxG9J4
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)

Comments

• SimonSays28SimonSays28 Posts: 578
    Neo
    It is to bad that they don't have it so you can just log into a WiFi network and set it up with in the headset itself.
    Check out my band at http://theheavyjack3.bandcamp.com/ - our entire discography has been released for free download.

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    It is to bad that they don't have it so you can just log into a WiFi network and set it up with in the headset itself.
    Path of least resistance, have you tried typing out a wifi password with a remote? Remember this is a super mainstream consumer device, not just of us techies.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• SimonSays28SimonSays28 Posts: 578
    Neo
    Path of least resistance, have you tried typing out a wifi password with a remote? Remember this is a super mainstream consumer device, not just of us techies.
    Yep I have set up a number of smart TVs using the remote, it is a pain in the ass. That said I would still like the option for the system to be completely usable without a phone app.

But I totally get why they did it - and it is not hindering my intent to purchase one this year.
    Check out my band at http://theheavyjack3.bandcamp.com/ - our entire discography has been released for free download.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,133 Valuable Player
    Connecting my Netflix account to my SmartTV was borderline Hell due to the password entry mechanism.

I usually have to mentally prepare for such a task. Stretching exercises followed by coffee and a snack.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,387 Volunteer Moderator
    Seems Best Buy is selling them now. They aren't on the shelves or website and still no mobile app to set it up, but if you know the SKU you can grab one now in store (if you are in the us).

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,068 Valuable Player
    edited May 2018
    Kinda confused and maybe I am reading it wrong but I'm kinda miffed also. I assumed it would be strap on and play. With everything needed pre-installed. Having to use a phone app just kills it for some people imo (technophobes like my folks).I mean I thought the idea was to use this without the need for an external device. I mean really, what would have been neat is voice-to-text input of wireless password and then just GO.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,133 Valuable Player
    edited May 2018
    Setting up Alexa works the exact same way. You can't just plug her in, click some stuff, say some stuff... and then have her start giving you recipies, playing songs, and reading you e-Books.

Alexa requires 100% Phone App install and configuration.

I know we all have high expectations of Facebook-Oculus, but right now both Virtual Reality and Artificial Intelligence work nearly identical in regards to "user setup."

First World Problems people! lol
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    It just means I will have to set it all up for the old man first before he can use it which is a shame. It would have been nice for him to open it from new and just GO. We shall see though. If the setting up process is easy then perhaps he can do it. 

It just means I will have to set it all up for the old man first before he can use it which is a shame. It would have been nice for him to open it from new and just GO. We shall see though. If the setting up process is easy then perhaps he can do it. 
    My mum managed Alexa just fine, she is 64 and doesn't own a computer

• lord_of_shredlord_of_shred Posts: 97
    Hiro Protagonist
    Well that binding to a phone is rather disappoiting. Since I guess they wont supply a Windows Phone app I'll have to wait o grabbing a Go until I my Nokia breaks down and I have to get a newer phone. And so far its holding up great (4 years in).

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    edited May 2018
    Review from Toms Hardware:
     https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/oculus-go-standalone-vr-headset,5597.html
    They score it 10/10 btw.

Be good, die great !
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,129
    Wintermute
    edited May 2018
    KlodsBrik said:
    Review from Toms Hardware:
     https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/oculus-go-standalone-vr-headset,5597.html
    They score it 10/10 btw.

Trailer for Titanic :

The boat sinks at the end and the main actor dies btw

YOU SPOILED ME! ;)

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.5GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 486
    Trinity
    I guarantee Hugo Barra is the reason GO is at the $199 price point. He was the former VP of International Affairs of Xiaomi (the manufacturer of GO), and his "special relationship" probably allowed Oculus to setup the best possible hardware for price point.  Now, Xiaomi gets GO in China but with Xiaomi operating system (I assume this is to bypass the Facebook ban).

Win-Win for everyone. In fact, perhaps Xiaomi may be the manufacturer of future headsets ??
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    I guarantee Hugo Barra is the reason GO is at the $199 price point. He was the former VP of International Affairs of Xiaomi (the manufacturer of GO), and his "special relationship" probably allowed Oculus to setup the best possible hardware for price point.  Now, Xiaomi gets GO in China but with Xiaomi operating system (I assume this is to bypass the Facebook ban).

Win-Win for everyone. In fact, perhaps Xiaomi may be the manufacturer of future headsets ??
    Yeah I bet they managed to keep the cost so low because of the "special relationship" great for consumers and for the advanced adoption of Vr into the mainstream.

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,978 Valuable Player
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,978 Valuable Player
    Tell us everything Zen!
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,405 Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2018
    All right, I’m in Washington DC right now for a meeting, but I’m going to try to connect to the Canadian Oculus store and get my order in. 

Edit: 64 GB version ordered. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Ordered the 64GB version myself. Should come on Thursday.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV