New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus GO Reviews

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,251 Valuable Player
edited May 2018 in Oculus Go
You can read Ben's assessment here.  Kind of negative really, and makes it sound like you would be better off getting a Nintendo Switch. :(

With few standout apps, and an experience which isn’t appreciably different from what Gear VR has been offering now for several years, Oculus Go’s hardware and ease of use improvements feel like they would have been more alluring in VR’s early days—meanwhile in 2018, Go looks like a tough sell against other compelling portable entertainment devices like Nintendo Switch.

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-go-review-standalone-vr-priced-for-the-masses/

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,631 Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2018
    I think he missed to point of VR entierly if he said Switch might be a better alternative.

These guys are a lot more positive.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/01/oculus-go-review/
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/oculus-go-standalone-vr-headset,5597.html
    https://www.polygon.com/virtual-reality/2018/5/1/17284454/oculus-go-review

That’s a lot of technical details that mean the screen on the Oculus Go looks very good, and is a noticeable improvement from the Oculus Rift itself.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,826 Valuable Player
    edited May 2018

Even leading up to present day, Oculus has not over-glorified GO. From the beginning they compared it to GearVR, and have repeatedly stressed that developers should build to GearVR and GO will simply piggy-back off of that.

That alone is a strong indicator that GO is a product aimed at a specific category of consumer, and in no way was meant to revolutionize the industry.

Any Reviews that treat GO as if it were a Rift CV2 itself are just setting themselves up for failure. The Nintendo Switch argument is incredibly idiotic, to be blunt. I mean... taking that approach we could have compared every iPhone and Android phone to every hand-held Nintendo gaming device on the market.

"Why play Clash of Clans when you can play Zelda?"

The article is comparing Apples to Oranges here, and they even made their own counter-argument: The Switch costs $50-$100 more than GO.

Flat experience vs VR Experience

This comment in the Article got it right:
    This review is a bit harsh. Getting any hardware with experience near the GearVR down to a $200 is a serious feat despite the Switch. No VR doesn’t exist in a void, but if no one gets the price down then the barrier of entry will continue to stunt the industry’s growth.

Sometimes RoadToVR has good articles. Other times, like today, all they care about is riding the wave of mainstream news by using Clickbait Articles to generate revenue from the Ads on their site.

I rate this RoadToVR Review: STFU & GTFO
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,881 Volunteer Moderator
    Go looks like a tough sell against other compelling portable entertainment devices like Nintendo Switch.

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,251 Valuable Player
    edited May 2018
    Tested review:

• AnnoyedDragonAnnoyedDragon Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    I must admit my primary concern, which few reviews are mentioning, is the short battery life. Which may have been forgiveable if it charged quickly, or if you could use it plugged in. But from what I'm hearing it takes longer to charge than you get in play time and you're told not to use it while plugged in. You can't even charge it using a battery pack while on the go, say while travelling between destinations, because they said not to use a battery pack.

2.5 hours watching video, not even two films during a flight.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,593 Valuable Player

2.5 hours watching video

:|   I'll wait and see, see if i can hold out for the Santa Cruz.
    AnnoyedDragon said:

Bring a battery charger.
    I must admit my primary concern, which few reviews are mentioning, is the short battery life. Which may have been forgiveable if it charged quickly, or if you could use it plugged in. But from what I'm hearing it takes longer to charge than you get in play time and you're told not to use it while plugged in. You can't even charge it using a battery pack while on the go, say while travelling between destinations, because they said not to use a battery pack.

They only say that to protect from damage, I have a high-quality battery pack that will be able to charge this thing twice, never had any issues with any of my devices, as long as it delivers clean steady power, you're good.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,266 Valuable Player

Looking at the Tested review, I'm getting excited for CV2....

Reduced God rays

Oculus offering corrective lenses for glasses wearers

Flexible facial interface and with thicker softer looking foam.

All the things I had listed on my wish list for the next headset. Higher res is going to be a given so... this time next year I'll be looking forward to having something very sexy on my face. ahem

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
  • SimonSays28SimonSays28 Posts: 578
    Neo
    A guy on Discord has just got one from best buy, he says that you can actually enjoy watching a movie now compared to the rift, with very little god rays and much crisper image.
    That's awesome - however I am able to enjoy watching movies/TV in the Rift with no issues. In fact I believe I am up to 30 movies, and 4 or 5 seasons worth of TV now. I am not sure if it is because of my glasses or not - but I don't really notice the god-rays coming off of text or anything and any glare seems to get directed to the edge of my peripheral vision where it doesn't impede the image on the movie screen. I do notice the SDE sometimes - it kind of reminds me of scan lines on an old TV, I don't mind them to be honest - but it'll be cool when they are eliminated fully though.

But I definitely am looking forward to getting a Go based on the reviews - seems like it will scratch the exact itch I want it to (good VR I can use on my lunch break at work). The talk about killer apps and such - I am only really worried about one app type to be honest (Netflix) as I have already got a Rift to cover everything else.
    Check out my band at http://theheavyjack3.bandcamp.com/ - our entire discography has been released for free download.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,792 Valuable Player
    I think they're going to sell a shitload of these things, especially before Christmas. Like the guys from Tested mentioned, $200 puts it in the Christmas/birthday gift category and well as in impulse-buy territory.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

I'll be looking forward to having something very sexy on my face

edited May 2018

They only say that to protect from damage, I have a high-quality battery pack that will be able to charge this thing twice, never had any issues with any of my devices, as long as it delivers clean steady power, you're good.
    Link to said device please. 

EDIT actually I think there needs to be much more user/developer testing with regards to the dangers of plugged in whilst using. Doing so could reduce the effectiveness of the battery or worse, have it overheat and damage the GO or your face. It does seem like an obvious thing to allow use whilst plugged in but Oculus are being cautious for a reason. 

Link to said device please. 

EDIT actually I think there needs to be much more user/developer testing with regards to the dangers of plugged in whilst using. Doing so could reduce the effectiveness of the battery or worse, have it overheat and damage the GO or your face. It does seem like an obvious thing to allow use whilst plugged in but Oculus are being cautious for a reason. 
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerCore-20100-Capacity-Technology-Black/dp/B00VJSGT2A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525206009&sr=8-1&keywords=Anker+PowerCore+20

Charges an iphone or a macbook with no issues, it has adaptive overvoltage protection and will never feed more power than the device wants to pull.

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,402
    Project 2501

this time next year I'll be looking forward to having something very sexy on my face. ahem

Me Too!
    Though I doubt mine will happen.
    Bring on those seven evil Ex's!

WAAAGH!
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 174
    Art3mis
    A guy on Discord has just got one from best buy, he says that you can actually enjoy watching a movie now compared to the rift, with very little god rays and much crisper image.
    Ya, God Rays are greatly reduced.  In fact I was able to go into Big Screen using GO and watch some videos with ppl. While the graphical atmosphere of BigScreen is not as impressive as Rift, the screen image of the video was on par but with less god rays.

And I was doing all this while laying back on my couch
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Oculus GO

Ya, God Rays are greatly reduced.  In fact I was able to go into Big Screen using GO and watch some videos with ppl. While the graphical atmosphere of BigScreen is not as impressive as Rift, the screen image of the video was on par but with less god rays.

And I was doing all this while laying back on my couch

I didn't even know it was out for Go yet?  Awesome!
    OK a couple of niggles now that i've watched videos, looked at specs etc.  Don't get me wrong, i really want one and am jealous of those who have already ordered.  I know too well that figures don't mean everything when you have the right engineers - hardware and software!

"The quickest, easiest way to get into VR, no PC or phone required"  - first thing you see when you pick up the headset is a notice telling you to grab your mobile and download an app.  I'm confused, i obviously haven't watched enough videos yet.

538ppi screen - i think my S6 Gear VR had 577ppi (ish)

Very annoying about the charger!  For goodness sake, come on!

Finally, 2 hours of gaming before it needs charging?
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 174
    Art3mis
    Finally, 2 hours of gaming before it needs charging?
    Ya; that part really sucks.  But I guess to make that $199 price point that was the sacrifice.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Oculus GO

• kojackkojack Posts: 4,881 Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2018

Both the S6 and Go have the same resolution.
    PPI doesn't really matter in VR (you can have 1000PPI that looks lower res than 538, or 100PPI that looks amazing, but the screen would be inconveniently large), it's PPD and FOV that are important.

At least for the charger, it's just a standard microusb one.

I agree on the needing a phone thing, the Go has a controller, they could have a built in UI for config.

but Oculus are being cautious for a reason. 
    Remember, this is the company that for quite a while forced us to have a health and safety warning every time we put on the headset. :)
    kojack said:

Both the S6 and Go have the same resolution.
    PPI doesn't really matter in VR (you can have 1000PPI that looks lower res than 538, or 100PPI that looks amazing, but the screen would be inconveniently large), it's PPD and FOV that are important.

At least for the charger, it's just a standard microusb one.

I agree on the needing a phone thing, the Go has a controller, they could have a built in UI for config.

but Oculus are being cautious for a reason. 
    Remember, this is the company that for quite a while forced us to have a health and safety warning every time we put on the headset. :)
    Remember kids, it takes only 1 person to sue for millions in damages! :)

• cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 889
    3Jane
    You can read Ben's assessment here.  Kind of negative really, and makes it sound like you would be better off getting a Nintendo Switch. :(

With few standout apps, and an experience which isn’t appreciably different from what Gear VR has been offering now for several years, Oculus Go’s hardware and ease of use improvements feel like they would have been more alluring in VR’s early days—meanwhile in 2018, Go looks like a tough sell against other compelling portable entertainment devices like Nintendo Switch.

Comparing a VR headset to a tiny, flatscreen portable is a ridiculous apple-and-oranges comparison and shows that the author misses the whole point of VR. They are two, totally different types of experiences, used under very different circumstances. A VR device is generally used at home while a portable is designed to be taken with you. Comparing the standalone Oculus Go to Gear VR, which requires an external, compatible device to even work, is equally ridiculous and shows that the author just doesn’t “get it.”
    No one wants to say why exactly (from Oculus) but it could be that extended plugged in use reduces the battery life over time which would suck major ballz. 2.5 - 3 hours is already short. I wish someone would chime in here and give definitive reasons.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,557 Valuable Player

I have not tried the Go yet.... but, Jesus talk about painting with a wide brush.... if you are going to say it is competing with the switch as it is a mobile entertainment device, does that also mean it is competing with the rampant rabbit and flesh light? (After all they are mobile and entertainment devices too)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited May 2018
    Looking at your sig, the 350z was also a mobile entertainment device, maybe we could compare those as well. Ignoring the £10,000 price difference. :pensive:

On a serious note though I see where he is coming from but they are vastly different mobile experiences which has to be the overriding factor here. I don't think he should have even mentioned it though to be honest because this is a product review not a comparison article.

@Ben R2VR - next time maybe write a separate Go vs Switch editorial.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,557 Valuable Player
    imo the comparison that matters in any GO review is comparing it to gearVR and maybe the HTC standalone... they are the GO's "competition".

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Do you know, i said to a work colleague the other day that i'm worried if i buy a Go i might neglect my Rift.  The more i'm seeing the more i believe this is true:

Yes @Hiro_Protag0nist !

I'm glad someone said it before me (I feel like I've championed GO enough already lol).

Yesterday around midnight I wrapped up my workday and the house was sound asleep. I had a choice to enter the Rift and jump back in Mage's Tale... or sit on my couch with GO and jump back in Dead Secret Circle.

Needless to say, I chose GO! The Rift is clearly better, and Mage's Tale s certainly a better game that Dead Secret Circle 100 times over. But it's just so hard to resist the temptation of GO's pleasantness, ease-of-use, and overall comfort. And now that I can do my WebVR development with GO... whooo baby. I need more hours in the damn day.