cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus GO Reviews

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
You can read Ben's assessment here.  Kind of negative really, and makes it sound like you would be better off getting a Nintendo Switch. 😞

With few standout apps, and an experience which isn’t appreciably different from what Gear VR has been offering now for several years, Oculus Go’s hardware and ease of use improvements feel like they would have been more alluring in VR’s early days—meanwhile in 2018, Go looks like a tough sell against other compelling portable entertainment devices like Nintendo Switch.

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-go-review-standalone-vr-priced-for-the-masses/

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
40 REPLIES 40

LZoltowski
Champion
I think he missed to point of VR entierly if he said Switch might be a better alternative.

These guys are a lot more positive.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/01/oculus-go-review/
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/oculus-go-standalone-vr-headset,5597.html
https://www.polygon.com/virtual-reality/2018/5/1/17284454/oculus-go-review

That’s a lot of technical details that mean the screen on the Oculus Go looks very good, and is a noticeable improvement from the Oculus Rift itself.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Even leading up to present day, Oculus has not over-glorified GO. From the beginning they compared it to GearVR, and have repeatedly stressed that developers should build to GearVR and GO will simply piggy-back off of that.

That alone is a strong indicator that GO is a product aimed at a specific category of consumer, and in no way was meant to revolutionize the industry.

Any Reviews that treat GO as if it were a Rift CV2 itself are just setting themselves up for failure. The Nintendo Switch argument is incredibly idiotic, to be blunt. I mean... taking that approach we could have compared every iPhone and Android phone to every hand-held Nintendo gaming device on the market.

"Why play Clash of Clans when you can play Zelda?"

The article is comparing Apples to Oranges here, and they even made their own counter-argument: The Switch costs $50-$100 more than GO.

Flat experience vs VR Experience

This comment in the Article got it right:
This review is a bit harsh. Getting any hardware with experience near the GearVR down to a $200 is a serious feat despite the Switch. No VR doesn’t exist in a void, but if no one gets the price down then the barrier of entry will continue to stunt the industry’s growth.

Sometimes RoadToVR has good articles. Other times, like today, all they care about is riding the wave of mainstream news by using Clickbait Articles to generate revenue from the Ads on their site.

I rate this RoadToVR Review: STFU & GTFO

kojack
MVP
MVP

Go looks like a tough sell against other compelling portable entertainment devices like Nintendo Switch.

qvn439ta4lju.gif

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Tested review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQcR1q35vMc

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

LZoltowski
Champion
A guy on Discord has just got one from best buy, he says that you can actually enjoy watching a movie now compared to the rift, with very little god rays and much crisper image.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

AnnoyedDragon
Protege
I must admit my primary concern, which few reviews are mentioning, is
the short battery life. Which may have been forgiveable if it charged
quickly, or if you could use it plugged in. But from what I'm hearing it
takes longer to charge than you get in play time and you're told not to
use it while plugged in. You can't even charge it using a battery pack
while on the go, say while travelling between destinations, because they
said not to use a battery pack.

2.5 hours watching video, not even two films during a flight.

2.5 hours watching video

😐   I'll wait and see, see if i can hold out for the Santa Cruz.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

AnnoyedDragon said:

Bring a battery charger.

LZoltowski
Champion

I must admit my primary concern, which few reviews are mentioning, is
the short battery life. Which may have been forgiveable if it charged
quickly, or if you could use it plugged in. But from what I'm hearing it
takes longer to charge than you get in play time and you're told not to
use it while plugged in. You can't even charge it using a battery pack
while on the go, say while travelling between destinations, because they
said not to use a battery pack.

They only say that to protect from damage, I have a high-quality battery pack that will be able to charge this thing twice, never had any issues with any of my devices, as long as it delivers clean steady power, you're good.

Be kind to one another 🙂