Beat saber out now. — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Beat saber out now.

MrKaruMrKaru Posts: 315 Poster of the Week
edited May 2018 in Games and Apps

This game is basically guitar hero with light sabers. It's in Early Access, and in my opinion lacking songs, but user-made songs are on the roadmap and what little that's there is great fun to play.

Comments

• FieldOfVisionFieldOfVision Posts: 201 Oculus Start Member
    Looks fun! Though I might wait for user-made songs as I imagine it'll get old really fast if there aren't many songs. 

Check out our latest VR exclusive games from www.FieldOf.Vision
  • MervinRaeMervinRae Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    edited May 2018

• FastForward352FastForward352 Posts: 175
    Art3mis
    I just tried it and I can't understand all the buzz around this game : there's already Audioshield, almost the same thing and you can use ANY music, not just ten... :/
    Asus X99-A MB | i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz | Asus ROG-STRIX 1080Ti | 32 Gb RAM | SSD SAMSUNG 500Go M-2 |  Samsung 40" 4K Screen | T500RS & TH8A Shifter on Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog & Combat Rudder Pedals | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | OCULUS RIFT CV1 - 3 Sensor roomscale setup

• MrKaruMrKaru Posts: 315 Poster of the Week
    I just tried it and I can't understand all the buzz around this game : there's already Audioshield, almost the same thing and you can use ANY music, not just ten... :/
    Personally, I hate those sort of rhythm games. Crafted songs are much better than auto generated songs in my opinion. I also think cutting the boxes with a lightsaber is much more satisfying than punching notes or blocking balls. 

The main reason I'm excited for this game is the potential. Since they seem to be going the OSU direction of letting users create custom tracks, it has a lot more appeal to me than the other rhythm games for VR at the moment. 
  • LitespeedLitespeed Posts: 313
    Trinity
    Very nice, having a lot of fun with this.
  • BrokenSymmetryBrokenSymmetry Posts: 250
    Nexus 6
    Audioshield got old real fast. Not sure about this one.

The gameplay of Beat Saber seems to suit certain type of music (those dominated by drums, for example), but not all. So it is important to have a good selection built in the game.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,691 Valuable Player
    Looks like it could be a fun party favorite. I'll have to buy this once I'm done with my GO obsession.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Trying out the one saber and no arrow mode is also pretty interesting. It doesn't completely change the layout of the notes but enough to feel different.

They're apparently adding more songs sooner rather than later too, so that's a good thing, but hopefully the custom creator will come before the buzz dies. This is the first rhythm game I've played on vr that felt like it had as much potential as guitar hero, for me at least. 
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,127
    Wintermute
    Ultimate Star Wars mod for this game:
    https://www.roadtovr.com/guy-modded-oculus-touch-play-beat-saber-darth-maul-style/

@Zenbane , might just be the touch modification you gotta make :l

Be good, die great !
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 973
    3Jane
    This game is out of this world amazing, light sabers are awesome and the rhythm game is amazing too!!! 

10/10 for graphics, gameplay, controls and music! 

This game is completely revolutionary, try it and you'll be addicted!!
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,180 Volunteer Moderator
    KlodsBrik said:
    Ultimate Star Wars mod for this game:
    https://www.roadtovr.com/guy-modded-oculus-touch-play-beat-saber-darth-maul-style/

@Zenbane , might just be the touch modification you gotta make :l

Playing around a little, I just got my experimental Oculus Injector program to recreate a darth maul style effect without needing hardware mods (just 7 lines of Lua script). I don't have beat saber (and don't like music timing games), so here it is in Google Earth. Just pretend there's a light saber sticking out of each controller.

The left touch controller is fixed to 10cm below the right touch and rotated upside down. All other controls on both touches work like normal.
    (No, it's not available yet, I just wanted to test my quaternion code)

Bought this gamer earlier today and played it until I was sweating. Great fun indeed! Good for a quick cardio check and some booty shakin.
  • LitespeedLitespeed Posts: 313
    Trinity
    Enjoying it immensely. Have to rest now due to sore muscles.

But one thing is annoying: Why did they choose the X and A buttons for opening the menu? They are so close to the thumb rest it happens far too often that I accidentally press one of them in the heat of the action. Nothing worse than seeing the menu when you're right in the flow.
    It would be much better to use Y or B for that, or even the left menu button (that's exactly what that button is meant for). It's far less likely to activate those by accident.

I'm mighty sore today as well. I kept trying to get a high-score on higher difficulty settings yesterday, and my shoulders are killing me.

Agreed on the A/X menu placement. I have to keep my thumbs clear of them.
    I've never had a problem with the A/X button placement, but can see why some people would have a problem accidentally hitting them. I've seen enough complaints about it that I'm sure it'll be patched soon. The devs seems fairly active and willing to support players, which is nice. 
    edited May 2018
    The game just got crazier...

Modded to play one of my favorite songs: Judas Priest, Painkiller

• WildtWildt Posts: 1,797 Valuable Player
    Just started playing it myself - good fun! I see several of you guys on my friends list in the game, but I reckon you've all moved on to hard/expert mode, cuz your normal scores are weak sauce :naughty:
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Posts: 162
    Art3mis
    Walking through the mall last Saturday, I noticed... Brookstone?... had a kiosk out in the main hallway with a Rift set up demoing Beat Saber, video mirrored to a large flat screen TV.  It was cool to see a Rift out in the open being used; I would have stepped up and tried it if there hadn't been a younger-middle-aged lady knocking down geometric shapes with a couple lightsabers.
    So, up above I said I could do some tricks in software.

Well, I played Beat Saber for the first time a couple of hours ago. Hmm, not bad. But... where's the fun in two sabers when I can have a dual blade saber?
    A couple of lines of Lua and a quick mod to my Oculus Injector (it had been changed slightly for motion rig experiments) and I now have a darth maul saber. :)

Sound is missing.
    Note: I've been awake for 26 hours, I have the flu, I've only played Beat Saber a couple of times ever and I'm holding the Touch by the ring instead of the handle (don't have my rotations lined up right yet for comfortable use), so not the greatest play through. :)

Hmm... if I add some constraint relaxation physics, I could make a virtual nunchucks.

• WildtWildt Posts: 1,797 Valuable Player
    Check out this guy:

Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    I haven't added nunchucks yet, but I did just add in game switching between normal (twin sabers), Starkiller (reverse grip sabers, from Force Unleased) and Maul (dual blade saber). :)

Reverse grip sabers are rather tricky to use. :)