New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus GO Use when Plugged In?

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,705 Volunteer Moderator
    UBSERD said:
    I might be rolling the dice but I’ve been playing with my Go using a Aukey 30000 MHP battery. It has a fast charge usb and it never gets hot and the battery stays at 92% minimum even running games like Republik VR.  I played nonstop today for three hours and my eyes are hurting LOL.  Not because of any heat but because you shouldn’t be in VR for all that time anyway. Battery when done was still in the 90s in Go.

Another plus is once the battery charges the device completely it shuts off ultimately saving the battery in your Go, especially if you charge overnight like me. I hate leaving it like that overcharging because it has no natural shutoff once the battery is full.

I’m not recommending anybody else doing what I’m doing but it hasn’t caused any issues in a decent climate. I would not recommend going outside in the hot sun during the summer days and trying this because the heat will have nowhere to go then you may be in trouble. I am not condoning doing this, just adding my two cents to the topic.
    Me too!! AUKEY products are great, works like a charm, no heat at all. Hours and hours of fun.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • MervatarMervatar Posts: 39
    Brain Burst
      There's a thread in Off Topic asking how long people have spent in VR in one session. Don't know how many were using Oculus Go, but there were replies saying anything from 45 minutes to 14 hours.  :open_mouth: I gather there isn't a plug-in charger for the UK, so is it charged by USB? Can I charge it via my TV, the same way I charge my Kindle?
    Mervatar said:
      There's a thread in Off Topic asking how long people have spent in VR in one session. Don't know how many were using Oculus Go, but there were replies saying anything from 45 minutes to 14 hours.  :open_mouth: I gather there isn't a plug-in charger for the UK, so is it charged by USB? Can I charge it via my TV, the same way I charge my Kindle?
    Im using this charger, works great
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01A42R46G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Brain Burst
    Mervatar said:
    Im using this charger, works great
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01A42R46G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
       @[email protected] Thanks for the link, but can you do what I asked, use the USB charger via my TV. It looks like I'll already have to buy a smartphone to go with the OG, so could do without any more expense. Cheers.
  • geebee666geebee666 Posts: 201
    Nexus 6
    If it charges you kindle it should do the Go but it may take a lot longer as it will probably be limited to a max. of 0.5 amps and the recommended current for the Go is 2.0 amps.

On the plus side if you do buy a smart phone it will most likely have a USB charger with it .
    Brain Burst
    geebee666 said:
    If it charges you kindle it should do the Go but it may take a lot longer as it will probably be limited to a max. of 0.5 amps and the recommended current for the Go is 2.0 amps.

On the plus side if you do buy a smart phone it will most likely have a USB charger with it .
       @geebee666 Thanks for that, sounds good. I would probably use the OG during the day, so could charge via the TV from early evening until I turn it off, that may work.
  • UBSERDUBSERD Posts: 347
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2018
    @LZoltowski hell yeah man. I bought it originally for the Switch and that thing will keep it charged for 15 hours without needing to plug the battery in. Freakin sweet! Now it Is a Go accessory for me. 2 hours of gameplay just isn’t enough honestly especially with a three hour charge time.

This remedies the longevity completely but for all those who may try this, again not condoning doing this, just don’t download games while charging and wearing the Go. It will get warmer than usual. After the downloads are complete the temperature will go back down to normal. Try at your own risk but so far all is good.
  • UBSERDUBSERD Posts: 347
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2018
    I notice actually that the Go gets even warmer when charging in a wall socket with it on. The Go hardly gets hot at all when using the Aukey battery pack. 
  • burning.airlinesburning.airlines Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    I will ask again.  Where did Oculus say not to use the Go headset while charging?
    Have you not read the first post?
    Yes, I read the first post.  Where in that post does it say where Oculus says not to use the Go headset while charging?  I mean as a new user, is it in a manual someplace?  In the tutorial?  How does Oculus convey this information to Oculus customers?
  • desivdesiv Posts: 133
    Art3mis
    I would be a bit surprised if they are really worried about overheating and exploding from this.
    Any properly designed battery management system would also monitor heat.  If the phone starts to get "too warm" then it should throttle down the charging/CPU use to decrease the heat.
    This isn't some generic piece of electronics from some unknown company.

I would hope they have some decent thermal safety built in.
    Yes, some Samsung phones had problems, so it can happen from a larger company if they push too hard.
    But I would hope Oculus (Facebook) and Xiaomi have done a decent job on this.  The Samsung battery prob wasn't that long ago and I would think they would be fairly aware of that still...

I also think if it was really dangerous, they would just not allow it.  Device goes off when charging.  Software fix and done.  They didn't choose to do that.

I'm leaning more to this being an issue with ease of use, short cable provided, Oculus doesn't want to tell people to use a longer cord and then see youtube videos of people getting said cord caught on things popping up all over. ;-)

desiv
    edited May 2018
    @desiv ; Yup, John Carmack said it himself on twitter that it works fine while charging, just the cable is short.

Also, he is not telling people to not mod the GO, in fact, he is encouraging it, here is someone strapping a battery to the back

• voxelmaniamvoxelmaniam Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    I will ask again.  Where did Oculus say not to use the Go headset while charging?
    Yes, I read the first post.  Where in that post does it say where Oculus says not to use the Go headset while charging?  I mean as a new user, is it in a manual someplace?  In the tutorial?  How does Oculus convey this information to Oculus customers?
    Second paragraph down Shadowmask72 said:
    Now I posed this question on Reddit which was kindly answered by Oculus tech communications officer Lisa Jaloza who reiterated not to use GO whilst "charging". No other reasons were provided.  But it's the reasons why that is important here. Are Oculus simply being overly cautious or is there a real danger of diminishing the life of the battery far quicker when using it this way.

A voxel is a three dimensional pixel!
    Murray Foster
    Now I posed this question on Reddit which was kindly answered by Oculus tech communications officer Lisa Jaloza who reiterated not to use GO whilst "charging". No other reasons were provided.  But it's the reasons why that is important here. Are Oculus simply being overly cautious or is there a real danger of diminishing the life of the battery far quicker when using it this way.

I think she was misinformed, John Carmack who is the Chief Technical officer at Oculus has said that it's fine.

• burning.airlinesburning.airlines Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist

Right, but most new Oculus users don't ask that question on Reddit.  How did anyone know to ask this question?  Where did this prohibition originate?
    Art3mis

Right, but most new Oculus users don't ask that question on Reddit.  How did anyone know to ask this question?  Where did this prohibition originate?
    In his youth he was known as grasshopper? 8^)
    Murray Foster
  • JustBob12JustBob12 Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    I should get my Go on Tuesday but if this mysterious recommendation is nowhere to be found in the package I receive, then it's completely useless. It seems that this is what 'burning.airlines' is asking about. 

If this is only "Someone at Oculus said this", than this recommendation has no value, legally or otherwise.
  • geebee666geebee666 Posts: 201
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2018
    The prohibition on using a charger whilst the Go is in use and the prohibition of using a power bank are clearly stated and quite comprehensively in the small booklet supplied with the Go.

And reads like brass plated butt covering.
  • thlong399thlong399 Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    After reading this thread, I would recommend not to charge and play at the same time unless someone has confirmed specific app or game. My got too hot and paused while charging and playing poker game. Its terrible to think of an exploding device on my head :#
  • PixelfoxPixelfox Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    WaPo report today on an exploding Vape device that killed the user by driving pieces of the device into his brain:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2018/05/16/man-died-after-a-vape-pen-exploded-and-embedded-pieces-into-this-head-autopsy-says/

"The report blamed the incidents on the prevalence of lithium-ion batteries in the products. “No other consumer product places a battery with a known explosion hazard such as this in such close proximity to the human body,” it said. “It is this intimate contact between the body and the battery that is most responsible for the severity of the injuries that have been seen. While the failure rate of the lithium-ion batteries is very small, the consequences of a failure, as we have seen, can be severe and life-altering for the consumer.”

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,284 Valuable Player
    Yeh.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Yeh.

Well this is a bit of a misleading video, the 2 fail-safes have clearly been disabled

This is what happens when Li batteries overcharge 
    1. the Cathode material becomes an oxidizing agent, producing CO2 and the battery starts to bloat
    2. a current interrupt device (CID) should kick in at around 120psi and stop the current being delivered
    3. should the CID fail, there is one more extreme failsafe the battery is meant to rapture in one place and vent with flame, the rapture point is specifically designed not for the battery to become a bomb
    There are also numerous protections in both the Power Delivery device (the charger, all good ones, have overvoltage, overcurrent and overcharge circuitry) as well as Power Receiving device has fail-safes in place.

Pixelfox said:
    No other consumer product places a battery with a known explosion hazard such as this in such close proximity to the human body,”
    Um ... what about phones? What an odd statement.

• Plan-BPlan-B Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Well, if you're talking about modern smartphones, the usage pattern is different from a vape. On average, a phone can easily be 14-16 inches away from your face during screen time, and even if it's being used as an actual phone, all modern devices have speakerphones. So there's an option to keep it farther from that very sensitive part of your body. A vape, by its very nature, can only be used in direct contact with your face. And used while the device is actively draining the battery at a very rapid rate.

What I find odd about this whole deal about Oculus' warning is that you can't even charge the device with the power off. It has to be on to charge and if it's off when you plug it in, it powers back on. So: "Hey, don't use it while charging. But also, we're not gonna let you charge it while it's off. Nah nah, nah nah nah nah!"
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,298 Valuable Player
    edited May 2018
    I think that automobiles should come with a warning label for the mere act of driving. Afterall, driving on a road is one of the highest risks of injury/death:
    https://www.drive-safely.net/driving-statistics/

If you drive a vehicle every day, then you tempt Death as a hobby. Using GO while charging is just foreplay.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Zenbane said:
    If you drive a vehicle every day, then you tempt Death as a hobby. Using GO while charging is just foreplay.

Flying through the air at 35,000 feet in a metal coke can propelled by nothing but super combustible fuel and giant fans completes the orgy.

Art3mis
    edited May 2018
    Pixelfox said:
    WaPo report today on an exploding Vape device that killed the user by driving pieces of the device into his brain:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2018/05/16/man-died-after-a-vape-pen-exploded-and-embedded-pieces-into-this-head-autopsy-says/

"The report blamed the incidents on the prevalence of lithium-ion batteries in the products. “No other consumer product places a battery with a known explosion hazard such as this in such close proximity to the human body,” it said. “It is this intimate contact between the body and the battery that is most responsible for the severity of the injuries that have been seen. While the failure rate of the lithium-ion batteries is very small, the consequences of a failure, as we have seen, can be severe and life-altering for the consumer.”

Sort of like driving an automobile? The risks are being blown all out of proportion. Over 33000 people died of automobile accidents in the US in 2015.

Although there are inherent risks to using Lithium batteries the impression provided by the media is way out of proportion to the actual incidents of death or major injury actually caused by the Lithium battery. For example the vast majority of injuries from hoverboards wasn't lithium battery fires but from falls off the hoverboard due to inexperienced riders.

As soon as the price of the Go drops I plan to buy a second one to hack in an interchangeable higher capacity battery pack that will be charged separately from the Go and allow longer use and interchangeability. It will be mounted on the back headband to better balance the Go. And based on the reported current 2500 mAh battery will allow more on the order of 5-7 hours of continuous use based on the use of two 23650 3500 mAh batteries.
    Murray Foster
  • rrafarrafa Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Where did Oculus tell us not to charge while using?  I didn't see that during setup or anything.

Yeah, same here, where is it?
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,017 Volunteer Moderator
    rrafa said:
    Where did Oculus tell us not to charge while using?  I didn't see that during setup or anything.

Yeah, same here, where is it?
    If you scroll up a little, 10 posts above you is a big photo I took of the Go manual page that tells you that.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,298 Valuable Player
    Plan-B said:
    Well, if you're talking about modern smartphones, the usage pattern is different from a vape. On average, a phone can easily be 14-16 inches away from your face during screen time

What about cars? They can explode, discharge electricity, or simply burst in to flames. And your entire body is trapped inside. Including your face.

Other things that expose the human body to extreme dangers in close proximity:
    Boats, Airplanes, Roads.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane