New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Can the Oculus Go initial setup be done without a iphone or android phone?

MinclarionMinclarion Posts: 2
NerveGear
Notably, I personally do not own a iphone or android phone. Is there a way to use the Oculus go without the initial app? or can a emulator be used on a PC to perform the same needed steps both initially and going forward?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    You do need an iOS or Android device for the initial setup. Afterwards you can do everything on the headset, so maybe see if you can use a friend's phone to set it up.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • PikachupugsPikachupugs Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    It can be done, just use an Android emulator like Bluestacks or Nox on your PC.
  • lornawallornawal Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I would love to know this as well. I ordered the 64GB version on amazon, it's being delivered today and I just found out that my Amazon Fire Phone is not compatible to setup the device. I didn't even Know a mobile device was needed for initial  setup until I read a negative review on amazon about this issue. Who would think this was the case considering all the GO promo keeps touting how much this devise is mobile phone free?  Now I'm considering refusing Delivery of my package since I have no way of setting it up, What a bummer.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Yes, you do need an iOS or Android device. See this article. https://support.oculus.com/674083216048783/
    The volume button trick will still not let you login with your account, so you won't be able to do anything. However, the phone is only needed for first time setup. You can try using a friend or family member's phone for a few minutes and then afterwards you can do everything else on the headset.

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • madkingbobmadkingbob Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    So any IOS device, does that mean I can use my IPAD Pro for set up? My Ipad pro does allow me to download the Oculus app-- but can't find anyone who can tell me if this will work, and don't want to buy until I know for sure:)
  • PixelfoxPixelfox Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work, the app only requires WiFi and Bluetooth so the fact that it's not a "phone" shouldn't necessarily affect it. If you install the app and then tell it to search for a headset, does it do that operation (probably timing out after a while)? If so then chances are it ought to work.
  • madkingbobmadkingbob Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    thanx pixelfox, the app on the ipad does do that...it seems to work and search for headset-- so it makes sense...guess I will try, If all else fails I will borrow and iPhone from a friend for set up!
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    it's to do more with ease of setup for the average consumer, imagine having not only to enter your wifi password letter by letter but actually sign up for an oculus account using the on-screen keyboard, not a consumer-friendly experience.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • RuggoRuggo Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    This sucks.  Didn't know android device was required.  NOT A GOOD CONSUMER EXPERIENCE!
  • bomatbomat Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Tried it. Won't fly, as these emulators don't support Bluetooth. Also Nox is based on Android 6.0, which is too old.

So, the conclusion of this thread is: The line "Standalone VR" on the Oculus Go box is a big fat LIE.
  • thealex.onethealex.one Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I want to buy a GO but only own a flip phone and an older android tablet. I read it can be done with an android tablet, if so which version of android does the app require ?

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,488 Volunteer Moderator
    6.0 Marshmallow or higher mate according to the info page at the very bottom = https://www.oculus.com/go/
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• thealex.onethealex.one Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Am I correct in thinking that the reason there is no PC app is because it requires both wifi and bluetooth ?
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,454
    Project 2501
    Am I correct in thinking that the reason there is no PC app is because it requires both wifi and bluetooth ?
    Not sure why, probably because the Google Play Store will not support it.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

NerveGear
    No, not really.
    Notebooks and even modern desktops have bluetooth built in (actually, WLAN and bluetooth are often combined in a single chip), older PCs can easily be retrofitted with a dongle.
    So the only reason why Oculus does not provide a PC app is because they don't want to.
  • alohaaussiealohaaussie Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    after using a friends phone for the setup, can the app be deleted from their phone , as I may have to put my credit card details in, for future purposes 
    NerveGear
    edited October 2018
    after using a friends phone for the setup, can the app be deleted from their phone , as I may have to put my credit card details in, for future purposes 

It can be done... but it can lead to problems further down the road. For example, if you want to change your google playstore payment options later on, you can NOT do it via the headset directly, but you'll need a smartphone again.
    (Did I mention that the line "Standalone VR" on the Oculus Go box is a big fat lie?)

• Leonidas-DrakosLeonidas-Drakos Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    A big Fat Lie
  • SpagerySpagery Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited January 29

Dont you need bluetooth on the PC to do that? 
    NerveGear
    edited February 17
    Spagery said:
    Dont you need bluetooth on the PC to do that? 

Why don't you read the entire thread before replying?
    Yes, your PC would obviously need bluetooth to do that, but, as I've already written last october, it won't help you at all because the mentioned emulators do not support bluetooth.
    Pikachupugs suggestion was nonsense. It won't work with an emulator.

• TheMonkeysaurTheMonkeysaur Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited June 2
    This seems to be a bizarre decision. This headset is supposed to help VR go mainstream, it has a well balanced price point vs hardware. I'd like to buy one, but I wouldn't be able to activate it because I use an older version of Android (and Bluetooth 3.0) on my phone. How many people won't be able to buy one for this reason, it seems like a totally unnecessary limitation?

What I REALLY don't understand though, is why persist with this? It may have been an oversight originally, but why haven't you changed it? Surely it would be trivial to make the GO work with a compatible phone if you have one, but also be possible to setup and activate without one too? It should be a trivial change to give the headset a self contained setup method, surely?

Can anyone from Oculus Staff confirm whether or not this is something you are going to change? & perhaps explain the logic behind it, or why you haven't changed it?

I'd like to give you my money. Thanks.

• reed330reed330 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I'm pissed.  I just got my Oculus Go, and can't set it up or use it, because I don't have a smartphone.   This is ridiculous.  I thought the whole point of the Oculus Go, was that it doesn't require a phone.  Why wouldn't it work (setup) with a PC?  I'm sending your BS back, zuckerberg! Very pissed off!  
    NerveGear
    @ The Monkeysaur: I feel (and share) your frustration. But no, they aren't gonna fix it. In fact they have a new "standalone" headset in the pipeline, the Oculus Quest (just google it), which will still have this unnecessary and frustrating phone dependency.
  • FramiBluesFramiBlues Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    The quest is the same misery, to stay polite.
  • FramiBluesFramiBlues Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    BTW
    I am trying to re-setup my go and I can't finishthe process,  because even if the headset is connected to the wifi the setup won't detect the connection and fail.