New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Are you going to fix the sensors "Poor tracking quality" finally!?

gr0bdagr0bda Posts: 262
Nexus 6
edited May 2018 in General
For fucks' sake when are we going to have some kind of ability to refresh the sensors without going through entire sensor setup! EVERY TIME I restart my computer I'm greeted with different scenario. One time every sensor works. Another, one doesn't. Then the next time I turn it on, both don't work. 95% of the time they will "wake up" after fresh restart, but ~60% of the time if I use it my computer like normal chances are they will not "wake up" then I have to go into reset sensor tracking, start moving the sensors from USB port to another USB port, and I have NOTHING else plugged in into USB 3.0, just the rift. NOTHING else is using the bandwidth. I browse the fucking internet that's it. It's been like that for OVER a year now since I purchased! FUCK THIS SHITTY ASS SYSTEM!!! Fix it, or give me easy way to wake 'em up, WITHOUT going through lengthy process of resetting!  FUCK YOU!

Comments

• BrokenSymmetryBrokenSymmetry Posts: 250
    Nexus 6
    I sometimes also run into the same issue. But unplug-plug fixes it for me 100 percent of the times.
  • gr0bdagr0bda Posts: 262
    Nexus 6
    I sometimes also run into the same issue. But unplug-plug fixes it for me 100 percent of the times.
    I don't wanna do that! I don't want to get under my desk and try to find the connectors in the back of my computer. I HATE doing that! Just went into "Reset Sensor Tracking" and it's not resetting! Now I have to shut down the computer to regain functionality, because I had way too many times when unplugging caused BSOD and screws up my Software RAID array and I have to leave my computer on overnight so it rebuilds it! And I bet since I initiated the Reset Sensor Tracking process it will force me to go through the whole thing anyways after I restart. And yes, I have recommended Inateck card, 2nd one on top of that! 
    Nexus 6
    Understand your frustration 100%. But so far unplug-replug seems to be the only way unfortunately. Until they fix it on the software end, that is.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 1,097
    Neo
    edited May 2018
    I'm betting that your USB3 blocks are being demanded too much. e.g. it can run for you once your PC has started and you run Setup again to get them powered and other devices are being unpowered to allow most bandwidth and power. This gets messed up after rebooting as all devices are given equal share to be used.

Although OCULUS recommends USB3, it really does NOT require this at all and can run equally well on USB2. I can power all 3 OCULUS DEVICES (HMD+2Sensors) all from the same m/b USB2 block without issues. I did buy a PCI (not PCIe) USB3 card just in case but this can only power 2 USB3 OCULUS DEVICES simultaneously. USB3 is pushing more power and more bandwidth. We get better results with USB2 over long distance too. Fact is, they over spec what it needs and it has run much more efficient than it ever has in the past.

Distribute you OCULUS DEVICES with this in mind to only 2 on any block. Bare in mind that front USB slots have lower bandwidths. Also minimize as much as you can what is in Tasks.
    Finally, please do remember that anything BETA involves you being a Tester to Report not whinge. (including Core2 Dash)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,663 Valuable Player
    edited May 2018
    I have no problem at all, powering my two sensors and my Rift in an Innatek USB 3.0 card,
    Guess I have been pretty lucky, have had this setup for well over a year without issue.

In Windows Device Manager, go through each USB device and insure power management is disabled. By default Windows has this enabled.

Also on the Innatek card, at one time it would not keep the power management for the usb disabled, it would re-enable upon each new boot. Not sure if it is still the same, as there is a newer Windows driver that gets installed for it now.
     The Oculus Tray Tool has an option to disable that power management on the Innatek card ports also.

Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB | I7 [email protected] GHz | EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals |
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,491
    Project 2501
    3 sensors here.  No issues whatsoever. 
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 507
    Neo
    3 sensors here also - but occasional tracking issues in Windows 10 only (not on Win 7) that are sorted by unplug / plug in - and yes, that means reaching behind the computer next to my desk, which is a real pain!
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 850 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • dan108dan108 Posts: 157
    Art3mis
    @Oculus add a reset button in software please.
  • maxx11111maxx11111 Posts: 88
    Hiro Protagonist
    Going by your picture it looks like your only having issues with it saying "poor tracking quality" as its shows usb3, i get this but i believe it due to the sensor not seeing the rift on startup properly, its view may be obscured, to fix all i do is use the rift and that goes away as it tracks the headset.
    Nexus 6
    Switching back to 1.25 seems to have fixed my issue, mostly.
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 273
    Nexus 6
    I have a similar issue that started afer the last update of either W10 or Oculus, i can't pinpoint which one though, but now when i wake my PC up from sleep both sensors are always poor tracking, and the only way i fix it is doing a restart of the PC, and i have the Intech card and everything was fine up until last month or roundabout that time.
    Rift has become so flaky of late, i don't know is it's W10 udates or Oculus updates that keep messing with it.
  • EvogaEvoga Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    3 sensors here too and no problems at all.  I am running mine all from an ASRock Extreme4 X370 motherboard. 
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,129 Power Poster
    maxx11111 said:
    Going by your picture it looks like your only having issues with it saying "poor tracking quality" as its shows usb3, i get this but i believe it due to the sensor not seeing the rift on startup properly, its view may be obscured, to fix all i do is use the rift and that goes away as it tracks the headset.
    This. If I start up the Oculus app with my Rift sitting on the shelf where I keep it, I get error messages on whichever sensors can’t see it. I take the Rift out and wave it in the air in view of all the sensors, and the error goes away after a few seconds. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • MradrMradr Posts: 2,739 Valuable Player
    4 Sensors here - I do get this problem once in a while, but I know for a fact it's my motherboard and not the senors or software. What causes it 100% I am not sure, but I have a feeling it's power related and/or compatibility related. Restart my computer fixes it, but really it never stop me from playing.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,510 Power Poster
    I have my third sensor going wonky every now and then but I'm putting that down to it having two USB 3.0 extension cables. When it happens I just disconnect and reconnect it and everything is fine.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • gr0bdagr0bda Posts: 262
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2018
    nalex66 said:
    maxx11111 said:
    This. 
    No, it's not "this". First of all if that was "this", then all of the sensors would display that message, as my Rift is in such place that none of the sensors can see it. Also, I have already mentioned that 95% of the time the message goes away after fresh restart/reboot after I pick it up, but (ok 60% is probably an exaggeration) about at least 30% of the time, if I used it once and then put it down to use computer for other things (mostly browsing internet) and then pick it up again, chances are one of the sensors will not regain the full tracking ability. And that's been going on since I purchased the Rift over a year ago! I got pissy the other day, because was late evening/night and I wanted to quickly play for a little bit longer, and it wasn't working, so instead of play time, I was fiddling with the damn thing and ended up restarting, all together probably took 20 min or so.

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,631 Valuable Player
    edited May 2018
    I've had two computers since I bought my rift.  I've never had this issue on either system.  I have the Inatek card.  Who knows what's wrong with this thing, while mine doesn't really  have tracking issues,  2.0 doesn't work at all because my dual monitors for whatever reason, are not compatible with it even though I'm using an EVGA 1060 6gb like many others are.

Mine MIGHT have similar tracking issues, but it never gives me any warnings, it just has weird tracking for a minute or so and only in DCS World when I first load it up, it takes about a few seconds to track properly, but it clears up and works perfectly.  So I'm never swapping or unplugging and replugging USB ports.  It is frustrating because it seems if someone has an issue, it never clears up, it just becomes one of the random many problems one might run into and a lot of times, it only effects a small percentage of people but those people never seem to get a resolution, they all have to do workarounds, or like me just can't use a feature because there seems to be no interest in fixing the issue even though they are probably working hard to figure out wtf is causing an issue when they have 1 million and 1 configurations to worry about.
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 292
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2018
    What does the question mark say?

If it's about wireless synch, then just wake the headset and move it through your playspace. It's probably not this but you never know. I have a big playspace and store my Rift far away of 2 of the sensors, they have this every time but just waking the headset and waving it around quickly solves the issue.

If you are having "frame dropped" or something, indeed it might be USB related, or, your CPU is not up to it.

Have you tried just one sensor? Does that keep working? If so, have you tried 2? Have you tried putting them on USB2 on different controllers?
  • Kyungmin_HanKyungmin_Han Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited August 2018
    I used to have a good time when I bought 3 Oculus sensors on May. Now one has poor tracking problem, another is not even getting detected! I'm another person who is frustrated with this issue. As time goes by it's getting worse and worse. Connecting USB cable again is not going to be a solution, as the port is going to be physically damaged and worn out eventually if I have to do this every single time.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,119
    Wintermute
    These kinds of issues are impossible for most people to deal with. That's why VR will never take off until it's in a console that doesn't need tech support. 
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,026 Poster of the Week
    I get this and ti's fairly easy to fix - I unplug and replug in the sensor :tongue:

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 139
    Art3mis
    I just put on the headset and the warning goes away. I've also done a reboot and the warning goes away.  I think it may just be a detection issue upon first launching the software.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Oculus GO

• ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 139
    Art3mis
    MowTin said:
    These kinds of issues are impossible for most people to deal with. That's why VR will never take off until it's in a console that doesn't need tech support. 
    I fully expect Rift CV2 to have streamlined sensors.  Either sensors like Lighthouse that communicate wirelessly, or only needing 1-2 sensors with greatly reduced bandwidth requirements for the sensors.

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Oculus GO

• francesco_2013francesco_2013 Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    gr0bda said:
    I don't wanna do that! I don't want to get under my desk and try to find the connectors in the back of my computer. I HATE doing that! Just went into "Reset Sensor Tracking" and it's not resetting! Now I have to shut down the computer to regain functionality, because I had way too many times when unplugging caused BSOD and screws up my Software RAID array and I have to leave my computer on overnight so it rebuilds it! And I bet since I initiated the Reset Sensor Tracking process it will force me to go through the whole thing anyways after I restart. And yes, I have recommended Inateck card, 2nd one on top of that! 
    It happens to everybody man and most of the times it is caused by too many USB devices connected to the PC which Windows fucks up with. I have often to disconnect and reconnect the cables too. Nothing to do about it. It is very annoying I agree. I have also bought and installed the PCI USB card Oculus recommends. It helps a bit to moderate the things (meaning it happens less often) but it does happen from time to time.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,119
    Wintermute
    It happens to everybody man and most of the times it is caused by too many USB devices connected to the PC which Windows fucks up with. I have often to disconnect and reconnect the cables too. Nothing to do about it. It is very annoying I agree. I have also bought and installed the PCI USB card Oculus recommends. It helps a bit to moderate the things (meaning it happens less often) but it does happen from time to time.
    It never happens to me. Maybe it's because I have one of those USB hubs? 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ZGKWQI/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, I only have 2 sensors connected. I have a third but never got around to connecting it. 
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 788 Poster of the Week
    edited August 2018
    It is possible you misunderstand what the error message means:

"Poor tracking quality" often "simply" means that a sensor does not see the Rift. This can happen if people have their Rift stored somewhere. Then they start Oculus, and sensor(s) state "poor tracking quality", until you put the Rift on.

This is exactly what happens in my case, say when I have the Rift down in the box or to the side. As soon as I take the Rift and it's somewhere in about the same area where I actually use it (on my head), the error messages disappear.

This error msg does NOT necessarily indicate a hardware problem, or USB bandwidth problem etc....so before your rant and rave...make sure that your sensors see the Rift. When the msg appears when your sensors see the Rift, then it's a problem. Then it could be anything, from flaky USB extensions/ports, driver problem, h/w problem w/ Rift or PC. Just saying.
  • danybonindanybonin Posts: 59
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited August 2018
    People also need to understand that usb port on motherboard can be splitted by "hubs chip"  on the motherboard.
    I have an Asus X99 deluxe MB and i have like 13 usb3 ports on it. But the X99 chipset don't allow that much usb3 ports, so some ports are in fact splitted. So you plug 2 devices on 2 different usb3 ports, but in fact, for the chipset, its like you plugged then in the same port, splitting bandwith.

Also sometimes, with usb cable extender, the problem is that the usb port from the motherboard don't provide enought power to the sensors, when you connect multiple.

Also people buying pcie usb cards, usually buy cheap one with few ports, but all on the same usb controller. There again, bandwidth is splitted. I bought a usb card with 4 usb3 ports, with 4 distinct usb controllers. This cost 140$ here in canada but solved all sensor problems i had. I use 4 sensor all on usb3 with active extension cable, plugged on that card, headset only on MB port and i have 0 problems now.

Sorry for my poor english, i speak french.
    core i7 5930k @ 4.4ghz
    nvidia rtx 2080 ti
    16GB ram
    asus pg27uq
    oculus cv1 4 sensors on usb3 on 5 distinct usb controller
  • PabbertPabbert Posts: 223
    Nexus 6
  • PabbertPabbert Posts: 223
    Nexus 6
    Problem solved. 
  • danybonindanybonin Posts: 59
    Hiro Protagonist
    Pabbert said:
    Problem solved. 
    ahahah! Funny :) But tracking with 4 cam sensors is so precise... i would not be surprise if its not even better than lighthouse tracking. Also, oculus controller are so much better IMO... But i must admit vive knuckle controller look promising. But the video i saw of them, the tracking looks like they were shaking or something... :

I know its not final product etc... but my oculus controller don't shake like that.

core i7 5930k @ 4.4ghz
    nvidia rtx 2080 ti
    16GB ram
    asus pg27uq
    oculus cv1 4 sensors on usb3 on 5 distinct usb controller