New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

8k videos

amriphotoamriphoto Posts: 1
NerveGear
Hi all,
I just received my Oculus Go and am experimenting with it. I have created some 8k videos and would love to view them on the Go. I have transferred an h265 file and it doesn´t really play. All I see is a still image and then the Go suddenly behaves very weird.
Anybody tried 8k videos and had success? I´d be greatful for any info on this matter.
Tagged:

Comments

• tiago.gavassitiago.gavassi Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same problem, Any Update release soon?
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 3,968 Valuable Player
    edited May 8

Video resolutions greater than 4k seem to be problematic right now, at least on the Rift, and I assume the same is true for GO. I've downloaded a few 6K 3D and 8K mono videos to play on my Rift but have had no luck getting them to play. I posted the below thoughts in a previous thread...

The sample 6K 3D video from Insta360 Pro's website which is 6400 x 6400 over/under and uses MPEG-4 Part 10 (H.264) [email protected] codec. It won't play on any VR Video app I have. Same deal for their 8K mono samples. I downloaded Insta's own desktop video player and they won't even play on that! The only program that I've found that will play them is Media Player Classic although slightly choppy and obviously no good for VR.

Insta's sample 4K 3D video (3840 x 3840 over/under) encoded using the same codec plays back fine using Whirligig.

So I think this is a video player/codec limitation rather than a Rift/Go headset limitation. H.264 (and possibly H.265)seems to be capable of resolutions higher than 4K but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of software capable of playing back these resolutions right now.

If anyone knows differently, please jump in!

Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.
  • Frank.LeistenFrank.Leisten Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    I’ve had no problem running 4K 180 3D Home videos.
    Frank W Leisten
    MSG, U.S. Army 
    Retired
  • OmniSphericaOmniSpherica Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    This video explains it well: https://youtu.be/vCKDwVqol_s 4K 360 stereo 30 FPS seems to be the upper limit. I got an 8K 360 to run for a few frames but then it grinds to a stop. It seems happy to display 8K 360 still images. 
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 3,968 Valuable Player

I didn't see an explanation in that video of why resolutions greater than 4k are a problem, only that they're a problem.

Really I can see only 3 possible reasons, either the playback software or codecs aren't optimised for those higher resolutions... or the bitrate becomes a problem... or the decoding workload becomes a problem for the processor.

I assume it's the latter if the video plays but is choppy. H.264 would increase the bitrate over H.265 but reduce the workload, but as I say…. with the Rift at least, none of the VR players I have will play those resolutions at all, so impossible for me to test.

Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.
  • OPP360OPP360 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I have this same problem on my mind and will dig in to testing different codecs and bitrates asap. Let's continue the talk on this topic!
  • gabellonegabellone Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    VR video at 6k are great on oculus go! Using .mp4 format it works very well even in native 3D 360 but now only on the Skybox App. I'm trying 8k. I'll let you know. on Samsung VR app 6k mp4  doesn’t work ...
    regards Francesco