Please don't eventually fully delete the old Oculus Home and interface in favor of the new Home/Dash — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Please don't eventually fully delete the old Oculus Home and interface in favor of the new Home/Dash

inceptionalinceptional Posts: 231
Nexus 6
edited May 2018 in General
I know you want to add all these extra features and stuff for people that are into deep customization and whatever else, and that's a good idea in principle, but I kinda hate the new Oculus Home/Dash and find it all pretty convoluted and somewhat clunky.

The old Home/UI is so simple and intuitive: You see the menus floating in front of you (at a decent distance so you don't have to worry about awkward hand interaction, where you're constantly choosing between aiming/pointing at a distance, poking directly with your finger, tapping with your full hand, or a clumsy mixture of all three depending on the menu/object you're interacting with) and you aim a virtual pointer at the icons/options then click a button to select them. It's all so simple, intuitive, effective and works basically flawlessly.

All the old Home/UI really needs as far as I'm concerned is to let people choose from more rooms/scenes (without having to exit the Rift to access them) and also maybe be able to bring it up even when in-game (even though I've never really found that an essential feature personally). And with those couple of tweaks it's a near-perfect user interface for the majority of people just as it is imo.

So, again, please keep the original Home/UI going forward, at least as an option for more casual users (it actually really should be the simpler version that's on be default imo, with the hardcore users being the ones who have to specifically select an "advanced mode" to open up all the various more in-depth and complex features and stuff--kinda like it is right now actually, although presumably not for too much longer--so the rest of us aren't forced to see, use and contend with all that extra stuff by default).

Comments

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,732 Valuable Player
    I would also like an option to use old home, at least if the dual monitor issue is never fixed, please give those of us effected by this problem an option to keep old home when Beta is done if it is completed without that issue being fixed.  I find most of the features of new home to be useless gimmicks anyway, this SHOULD be for advanced users that want to turn it on and old home should be default.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 1,622
    3Jane
    Totally agree.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,836 Valuable Player
    Agreed. HOWEVER they need to consider download size and server strain.  When it comes down to that eventually they WILL remove the older “home”. 
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 453
    Trinity
    edited June 2018
    Everything in Home 1 is possible in Home 2, and it's not less flawless. Home 2 is basically an extension of Home 1...
    - If you have trouble with the half-touch/half-pointer controls, you can just ignore the touch controls and use only pointers to select anything. If Dash is too close to you, you can just grab it and put it away, that way you won't have any problem. It doesn't take a genius to grab the interface and put it further.
    The whole point of Home 2 is to let the choice of interaction. You can use touch controls if you like it (I personally don't understand why anyone would not, given it's the most natural interaction...), or you can use pointers if that's what you prefer.
    The point is, pointer interaction is not an advantage of Home 1 since it's also available in Home 2 (and it is not less effective).

- As for the menus, they're as accessible and simple as before : you press a certain button to get a certain menu in front of you. Again, I don't see why it would be counted as a problem as it is the same as before.

Frankly, it doesn't take 3000 IQ to use Home 2. I agree that the controls aren't consistent (some panels are pointers-only, while others are not), but once you know what works and what doesn't, it's not a problem at all. It shouldn't be a deal-breaking problem.

The only major problem of Home 2, compared to Home 1, is performance issues. But that occurs only if you use the customization stuff, and you said you just want to ignore all that stuff, so Home 2 shouldn't give you less FPS than Home 1.

My point is, anything in Home 1 is available in Home 2 (well, except for the environments, but I was talking about the features ^^).
    Sure Home 2 is more complex, but it is not too hard to use and it is definitely not less effective.

That said, giving the choice is always the best choice ^^. That's why I also hope they will keep Home 1.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,362 Valuable Player
    But Home 1.0 is soooooooooo 2016! :o :D :p
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • SwirlyMapleSwirlyMaple Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    Couldn't agree more. From a UI perspective I find the original environment to be significantly cleaner, better performing, and more consistent and intuitive than the new home, and yes, core 2 + dash is definitely more resource intensive than the original. If you have apps that are already pushing the limits of your hardware (a good example being vr flight sims), there is a definite performance impact when running the new stuff.

For me, the new home was somewhat of a novelty that was fun to poke around with at first and then quickly lost its appeal, like a free game demo. The increasingly worse performance that has been present in each new iteration of Home 2.0 isn't making it any more appealing either. I like some of the features of dash, but I will always choose in-game performance over new features any day. I bought the Rift to play games, not hang out in a lonely virtual space that causes occasional performance hits in some of those games.

Lastly, the cynical side of me says that Home 2.0 is very likely a business plan by Oculus and their facebook overlords to eventually market to us more pervasively.
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 313
    Trinity
    I really like Dash, wouldn't want to give it up anymore.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,732 Valuable Player
    I want the option because they still haven't fixed the dual monitor problems for everyone.  I don't want to be forced to use Home 2.0 because it kills my second monitor even when Home isn't in use so I have to go into services and kill OVR to get control of my monitor back.  I don't think they'll ever fix it so at the very least they should allow us to continue using the original platform.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,967 Valuable Player
    falken76 said:
    I want the option because they still haven't fixed the dual monitor problems for everyone.  I don't want to be forced to use Home 2.0 because it kills my second monitor even when Home isn't in use so I have to go into services and kill OVR to get control of my monitor back.  I don't think they'll ever fix it so at the very least they should allow us to continue using the original platform.
    I have been running dual monitors for a long time, Home 2.0 is working ok for me with them.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 953
    Neo
    yeah what is the dual monitor issue? 
  • gcoggergcogger Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    On some systems, the Oculus software takes control of the layout of the monitors in Windows, such that one of them can't be accessed by the mouse (or keyboard). I've switched to one (very large!) monitor now, but I had this issue when I was running dual monitors  The only way I could use my PC was to set the Oculus service to manual start.  I'd start the service when I wanted to play a game. When I stopped playing, I had to stop the service then reconfigure the monitor layout in Windows.  Not particularly user friendly...  I contacted Oculus support and they couldn't understand why it was a problem - as far as they were concerned, I'd already found a 'solution' to the issue!