New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Known bug? Oculus Go automatically turns on while charging? (Mod needed)

iBertiBert Posts: 3
NerveGear
Hello all,
i have my first day with the go and i really like it even when there are issues i don´t like. One of the issues is the device automatically turns on when i put micro usb cable in it. I do not know if this behavior is correct because when charging a phone or any other device it is not necessary the device is being powered on. So I don´t know if this is a bug or a (unwanted) feature. Before being charged the device was shut down using the power off button and confirmed with the go controller. After plugging in the usb cable the device automatically comes up. You can shut it down and the procedure repeats if the cable stays plugged in. If I am the only one with this issue i have to return the device. Otherwise this behavior maybe can be fixed with a software update ? Thanks for reading and replying

Comments

• PixelfoxPixelfox Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    Honestly unless you're going to be storing it for a while there's no reason to ever turn it off. It goes to sleep in a very low power mode. It should turn the screen off within a few seconds unless say you have the strap stuffed into it where it's activating the proximity sensor, in which case just pull the straps out and leave them away from the inside.

A nice side effect of always having it in standby is you can bring up the phone app and connect to it anytime to check battery level etc.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    This is normal. Once the battery reaches a certain level while plugged in, the headset will turn on. This is so it will be ready to go as soon as you decide to put it on. Once unplugged, the device will go into a standby mode, you really don't need to ever turn it off. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • sanderbossanderbos Posts: 94
    Hiro Protagonist
    I must say I also disliked this. At least once I understood what was going on I now know that you should first charge it, then you can disconnect it, and then turn it off. It is not an issue now since we just got this device and probably will use it a lot, but for the long run I want to be able to turn it off without the battery fully depleting, because batteries should not be stored discharged.

(and also, for me it meant that when the battery was totally empty just due to usage, I hooked it up to a charger and it just went into an semi-infinite bootloop, semi in the sense after half an hour there was enough charge to complete the boot, at least I suppose that was what was going on, don't let the Go battery percentage go all the way down is what I learned)
  • PixelfoxPixelfox Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    sanderbos said:
    I must say I also disliked this. At least once I understood what was going on I now know that you should first charge it, then you can disconnect it, and then turn it off. It is not an issue now since we just got this device and probably will use it a lot, but for the long run I want to be able to turn it off without the battery fully depleting, because batteries should not be stored discharged.
    For Lithium Ion batteries, it's bad to store them fully charged as well, and you'll permanently lose substantial capacity doing so for an extended period. Ideally for storage they should be at around 40% charge. 
  • JoshuaJSloneJoshuaJSlone Posts: 61
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'm used to most of my devices being always-somewhat-on and so don't in general think that's a problem with the Go. However, while having it charge nearby I do sometimes hear it play a noise. Haven't paid enough attention yet to notice if it's the same sound as when one manually hits the power button, but nothing was sticking a face into it or anything so it seemed strange it would be doing anything.
  • geebee666geebee666 Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    Lithium batteries in real life are not greatly effected by storing at full or close to full capacity,ideally sanderbros is correct but the difference is minor and if you are going that far they should be stored at a lowish (can't be bothered looking it up) temperature.

The only thing that will greatly extend heavily use Lithium batteries is to never go above 80% and below 40% charge.

In the real world I try to never go below 20% and charge to 100% all of my devices have exceptionally long battery longevity.
  • TpfitzTpfitz Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    Just woke up this morning and realized that my screen had been on all night because the strap was activating the sensor while it was charging.

there needs to either be and perm off function while charging, or a non activity screen off function.

tbh this product seems to have been rushed out without non techie average user experience input regarding ui and situational use case scenarios.
  • sanderbossanderbos Posts: 94
    Hiro Protagonist
    So a few days later, and the battery management/ standby mode is really starting to tick me off on this device (it certainly does not get a 'recommend' from me anymore at this point, based on this alone).
    I left it on the table in its 'default state' so with standby mode, in a room that I did not spend much time in afterwards. I was already noticing that the screen turned on quite often as I was walking around in the room afterwards (but never came closer than one meter to it). Less than 24 hours later, and I came home and the battery was totally dead so it must have been turning itself on all the time.

So they don't want you to turn it off, but if you just let it be it empties its batteries, so essentially the only recommended usage is to always hook it up to a charger when not in use, in a completely dark environment so that the sensor does not get any input/ ideas.

If you think you have to be clever about activating the device Oculus, maybe you can be even more clever about it and have the software realize that if the Go activates itself constantly and deactivates again a few seconds later, maybe you are not operating correctly....

(and the craziest thing to me is that there is a button, there is a on-off button on the thing, Oculus just chose not to use that on-off button for its regular purpose)
  • Mace404Mace404 Posts: 208
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2018
    This is normal. Once the battery reaches a certain level while plugged in, the headset will turn on. This is so it will be ready to go as soon as you decide to put it on. Once unplugged, the device will go into a standby mode, you really don't need to ever turn it off. Thanks.
    It drains 5-10% overnight, hell yeah I need to turn it off. I'd like an option to keep it off while charging.

I turn the Go off when done, charge it and put it back in its box so its ready for the next session.
    Just to find out I lost quite some charge (because it gets triggered by the strap/movement while in the box) when I put it on is.. well.. meh
  • geebee666geebee666 Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    Over night Mine lost around 1% from 59% to 58%.
    @sanderbos Why not just turn it off if it is annoying you?
    As for leaving it out on a table, personally I always leave my Rift and Go on a shelf that has low light levels for dust reduction on the lenses and remove any possibility of light damage.

• edmgedmg Posts: 1,187
    Wintermute
    geebee666 said:
    Over night Mine lost around 1% from 59% to 58%.

Mine was 100% charged when I left for work and 93% when I got home.

Maybe the VR fairies were playing with it while I was out.
  • gotgalfgotgalf Posts: 48
    Brain Burst
    Yes, this is also annoying me.
    I used the Go in the evening, until the battery was almost drained, then I switched it off, plugged it in and went to bed.
    Got woken up  in the middle of  the night by the Go beeping, because it was starting.
    This is rather dumb. The thing should stay off after being shut down.

• CydaCyda Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Oculus do need to change this, the device should stay off when switched off, it should never switch itself back on.
  • Frank.LeistenFrank.Leisten Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    I agree with all comments. I turn mine off and then charge all night and is very warm left hand side. Something is going on. 
  • AnnoyedDragonAnnoyedDragon Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    edited May 2018
    I became aware several times last night that the headset was making random noises, the strap was out of the way of the sensor so I'm not sure what was triggering it. It wasn't plugged in as it was already full charge, it was just sat on its own in standby which I thought was the preferred method given its tendency to stay on.

Eventually I decided enough was enough and told it to shut down.
  • iBertiBert Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    After a few days of experience with this issue I must say I totally hate the circumstance of a device which directs the user of staying alive. If someone states there is no reason to shut it down etc. he is maybe right at his/her point of view. If he wants to use the Oculus Go in this way he/she is welcome to do it but I want to shutdown this device without being forced by the devices "being always on" idea. This is an absolutely no go feature if a device directs the user whether being powered on or off. 

So please Oculus dev team fix this and let the user decide in any case if they want their devices on or off. I am sure this issue can be fixed with a software update. The device already has a hardware button for power on/off. Please let the device also shut down when its being charged. As you see this can be extremely frustrating to the user.

Thank you
  • iJudgementiJudgement Posts: 183
    Art3mis
    Personally, it's nice having all my updates and stuff done while it's charging. If you had it powered off while charging, this wouldn't get accomplished.

Putting it on my head and just being able to use it is convenient.

There's nothing stopping you from turning the device off after it's charged.
  • Frank.LeistenFrank.Leisten Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    But it heats up if I leave it on the charger without turning it off. 
  • iBertiBert Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited May 2018
    Personally, it's nice having all my updates and stuff done while it's charging. If you had it powered off while charging, this wouldn't get accomplished.

Updates and downloads run in the background while i use the device. In case of bigger jobs nothing speak against leaving the device in powered on state. And if you want it powered on all the time its ok for me, but i don´t want. Why does it power itself on when the user has shut down the Oculus Go in case of charging ? What´s the reason ? The boot up of the device costs very little time... There is no need to have it always on ! 

As I mentioned above everybody feel free to use it at his own way. But turning a device off means the user want the device turned off. I slightly understand the "always on state" on low power devices but not on the Oculus Go
  • iJudgementiJudgement Posts: 183
    Art3mis
    iBert said:

Updates and downloads run in the background while i use the device. In case of bigger jobs nothing speak against leaving the device in powered on state. And if you want it powered on all the time its ok for me, but i don´t want. Why does it power itself on when the user has shut down the Oculus Go in case of charging ? What´s the reason ? The boot up of the device costs very little time... There is no need to have it always on ! 

As I mentioned above everybody feel free to use it at his own way. But turning a device off means the user want the device turned off. I slightly understand the "always on state" on low power devices but not on the Oculus Go
    Yeah, the updates don't run in the background if you're actually using the device.

Updates will only happen when the device is powered on and not running any apps, like when it's charging.
  • TpfitzTpfitz Posts: 25
    Brain Burst

There’s nothing stopping you from checking for an update once or twice a week. Its much quicker to check for an update that’s probably not out most of the time then babysitting your Go and rememberIng not only to turn it off after it’s done charging, but also remembering when you set it down, to make sure nothing can activate the sensor or else the screen will stay on the whole time.

I guarantee you that people will charge this thing 100x more in its lifespan then you will get updates that’s conveniently downloaded in the background.

I don’t think anyone is asking that the Go should be forced to charge while off at all times . We juat want the option that, if it is off and we plug the charger in, it just stays off. If you want to charge it while on, then just plug it in while on.

And please .....
    put a non activity timer on the thing to turn the screen off.
  • GraemeEvansGraemeEvans Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    i'm annoyed by this too. can oculus not make a product the consumer has control over? even the slightest little bt of control like being the one who decides when the bloody thing is off or on. the rift is the same. if your computer is on then your rift is on.

I had an even more annoying problem that after one day of having the thing i put the eadset and controller back in the box, the headset must have decided to start itself so that lost a bunch of power and something must have been pressing the controller because the battery in the controller was also completely drained. 

who the heck thought this was a good idea?
  • OmniSphericaOmniSpherica Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Agree with many of the above comments. IT SHOULD NOT SWITCH ON WHEN YOU HAVE DELIBERATELY SWITCHED IT OFF WHEN NOT CONNECTED TO A POWER SOURCE - Duh! It is really annoying to come back to a headset that is completely dead and won't work even if connected to a power source until it has had time to charge up somewhat. No problem if it is still connected. Come on, this is so obvious!
  • MarlonCreativeMarlonCreative Posts: 10
    Brain Burst
    Hey all, 
    My Oculus Go won't turn on anymore. I left it charging and for a moment the light was green. Now it wont turn on even when charging. Anyone else experience non-responsiveness even when plugged in? Ive left it charging for an hour and still no signs of life. :( 
  • rupertrupert Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    @MarlonCreative try holding the power button down for ten seconds to turn it off, then try turning it on normally. Might be on but the screen is unresponsive.
  • denodandenodan Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    I dont think it's a big, but designed so when your not playing remains on charge.
  • justinlutzjustinlutz Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    edited October 2018
    @cybereality & Oculus Devs - This is terrible UX guys. When I explicitly power off my laptop it means I want it powered off. When I explicitly power off my cellphone it means I want it powered off. My tablet...my smart watch...my fitbit...etc etc etc. None of these devices turn back on automatically just because they're connected to a power source. If we want the device to stay on while charging we'd just turn the screen off.

This is particularly frustrating in a classroom or group training setting, for example, where 50+ headsets are being stored and charged in a cart overnight. The current power config means these devices all have a very high chance of burning out and having the screens constantly on when straps overlap the proximity sensors while in storage. 

PLEASE PLEASE FIX THIS SOON.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,776 Volunteer Moderator
    @cybereality & Oculus Devs - This is terrible UX guys. When I explicitly power off my laptop it means I want it powered off. When I explicitly power off my cellphone it means I want it powered off. My tablet...my smart watch...my fitbit...etc etc etc. None of these devices turn back on automatically just because they're connected to a power source. If we want the device to stay on while charging we'd just turn the screen off.

This is particularly frustrating in a classroom or group training setting, for example, where 50+ headsets are being stored and charged in a cart overnight. The current power config means these devices all have a very high chance of burning out and having the screens constantly on when straps overlap the proximity sensors while in storage. 

PLEASE PLEASE FIX THIS SOON.
    This has been fixed some time ago with a firmware update.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Yes, this was fixed months ago. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • justinlutzjustinlutz Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Yes, this was fixed months ago. Thanks.
    Great news! Thank you!!