Playing video files from external micro USB device — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Playing video files from external micro USB device

mrnoonmrnoon Posts: 3
NerveGear
Hi all. I hope you are all enjoying your new Go! I have a question that I hope someone can answer. I have alot of my 180/360 videos on a micro USB drive. If I insert it into the micro USB port on the Go would it recognize my device and then would I be able to play videos direct from the USB? I like to keep my videos on USB so that I dont have to copy them over to the Go every time I want to watch them.

Comments

• FailrunnerFailrunner Posts: 186
    Art3mis
    edited May 2018
    No but I believe that is coming in an update. Not sure when though. Also you can stream them over a plex server or just your network from a pc. 
  • mrnoonmrnoon Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Thanks for the reply "Failrunner"... that's really helpful info.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    External USB drives are not supported. You can copy the files over from your computer to the built-in storage.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • BrokenSymmetryBrokenSymmetry Posts: 250
    Nexus 6
    External USB drives are not supported.
    Is it pending firmware update or will it never be supported?
  • mrnoonmrnoon Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    That's a pain having to copy from a PC as all my files are on a USB device. It would make sense that the GO could mount the drive just like an android phone does. At the moment the lack of this function is stopping me moving away from my GearVR to the GO. Hopefully a firmware update will fix it!
  • KenMoreCamKenMoreCam Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    An update should support USB drives per  - any new news on if/when this will happen...?
  • DilipDilip Posts: 248
    Nexus 6
    edited August 2018
    An update should support USB drives per  - any new news on if/when this will happen...?
    IMO. its most eagerly anticipated feature by most OGO users.. Oculus must prioritize it out of doors.
  • voxelmaniamvoxelmaniam Posts: 130
    Art3mis
    An alternative approach would be to use something like the RAVPower FileHub Plus (http://a.co/1oEPcr5) mounted as a DLNA server that can also provide additional power to the Go.
    A voxel is a three dimensional pixel!
    Murray Foster
    Nexus 6
    edited August 2018
    What will be latency in this case can it playback 1080p ? Wifi speed not mentioned, Did you personally tried it? I doubt Oculus Go will allow installation of RAVPower App for video playback 
    Nexus 6
    Also connecting WIFI network should be incorporated in UI of Oculus GO. Is it there ? May be not directly withing environment but some key pressing like accessing root menu of android device is required. Not a good way 
    Art3mis
    Dilip said:
    Also connecting WIFI network should be incorporated in UI of Oculus GO. Is it there ? May be not directly withing environment but some key pressing like accessing root menu of android device is required. Not a good way 
    This is already available under Settings, under WiFi.
    Murray Foster
    Art3mis
    I haven't tried using the RAVPower myself but have read of others using it and similar devices as file servers for stills and video both here and on Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusGo/comments/8z12wz/storage/).
    Murray Foster
    Nexus 6
    edited August 2018

Can anyone with OC GO confirm this way works in GO? Also what if what you stream is SBS  180 Degree video does it still work without jitter or pause or wifi dropping?

• fisherrofisherro Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Dilip said:
    IMO. its most eagerly anticipated feature by all OGO users.. Oculus must prioritize it out of doors.
    Certainly not all. I have zero desire for external USB storage. Better mirroring options, remote desktop, and shared browser (whether within Rooms or Home) would be among my most anticipated features.
    Nexus 6
    edited August 2018
    Yep word should be 'Most' one can't speak for 'all', change accepted ;)
  • winterwolveswinterwolves Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    +1 for wanting external USB storage support. I tried with wifi streaming videos, but doesn't work really well.
  • peternrgpeternrg Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    +1 for external USB storage....   Strange thing is, I have seen the USB option in the gallery app before, so I bought a tiny Micro USB 64GB stick plugged it in, and now that option is gone.   Have I been dreaming, or what is going on?
    Nexus 6
    edited August 2018
    USB option might be for tether to computer
    Nexus 6
    I tried with wifi streaming videos, but doesn't work really well.
    Exact my worries... if you stream 1080p over wifi that needs really significant amount of data over the air.. might be a PC and very high bandwidth router can do .. Phones over Miracast or dlna can be disappointing. Why not simply allow USB OTG.
  • dreambro2dreambro2 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Well I can confirm that can connect a SanDisk usb micro usb thumb drive 64gb formatted to exfat and play 3d sbs videos in moon player in Full Screen outside of Oculus TV on Oculus GO. 
    Found this link on youtube from Russian forum and in description is description how to setup.
    This is in the youtube description:
    ""
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wLx...JS USB OTG https://drive.google.com/open?id=1agv...Total Comander https://youtu.be/dbBVQc0uKQUVideo on how to open the developer mode and install ES Explorer This video shows how you can watch 3D VR videos on USB flash drives using Oculus Go using Oculus TV, ES Explorer, JS USB OTG and Moon Player. 1. Write some kind of 3D VR movie on a USB flash drive. 2. Connect the USB flash drive with a micro usb adapter. 3. Install on your Oculus GO via ES Explorer the JS USB OTG program downloaded from my link. Also set yourself Total Comander (it will come in handy if it is buggy or lagged ES guide ... and it will fail). Total Comander will be installed as a separate icon in Oculus TV. To enable it you will not need to go to ES Explorer / Apps. If ES Explorer starts to double in your eyes, then go to Oculus TV / Total Comander / My Apps / and look for there ES Prvodnik. Then click on it and make it stop.   4. Insert the USB flash drive into your Oculus Go. If you are offered to unpharmat it, then refuse by pressing the HOME button on the controller. 5. Go to ES Explorer and in the Apps section, select JS USB OTG. The program prompts you to open the USB flash drive. Do not tick, just click "OK". 6. The contents of your usb flash drive will open. Click on the 3D movie and in the drop-down menu click "Direct open". In the next menu, select "open using the app Moon VR Player". Click "Just now" !!! Do not press "Always" !!!
    ""

What I did was download the moon player app on oculus store, downloaded the JS USB OTG and total commander(Not sure actually need total commander).
    format your USB Drive to ex fat and put video on it. connect to oculus go. when asks you to format just hit home on controller to bypass and then go to your appstarter that you use to sideload and open JS USB otg and then select read usb and then click your video and open in moon player. It opens in full screen outside of Oculus TV.
    Could some other people try this and see if they can find an alternative to Moonplayer? I don't like the interface as much as Sky player and others but have only been able to get this to work fullscreen with Moonplayer