cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus GO vs Oculus Rift for Video Viewing

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Ok after some really close scrutiny of the video source, here's my take on the differences between the Oculus GO and its older brother the Oculus Rift in terms of viewing video content ONLY. This is not a review of the overall experience, content, gaming, cost etc. Just a look at how the two displays fare against each other when looking at the same content - in this case a 1080p video on Youtube. Also remember viewing in VR can be subjective, so you might not agree with my analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWSvWNNURaY

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
6 REPLIES 6

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Those silky vanilla-colored bed-sheets are totally doing it for me. FYI

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Ha, not my first choice btw. I blame the missus for going all glittery.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
Nice video.
 I really have to behave myself or im gonna end up with a GO soonish.
Be good, die great !

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the post. Go is my first purchase of VR. The display is not as sharp as I would have thought. The picture almost looks like looking through a screen door. My expectation I guess was it would be a similar viewing experience as watching a 1080p television but more immersive. 

Watching a youtube 1080p VR roller coaster video was very blurry.  The Oculus background home screen of San Francisco is not crisp either. 

Is this your experience as well? 

Thanks in advance for your response! 

flamaest
Honored Guest
I agree, not impressed with the Oculus Go video quality. It looks like 10 year old video goggles technology. I can barely accept watching any video on this thing.  Is this worse on the Oculus Rift or gear VR?  Don't get me started on the chromatic aberrations.

Anonymous
Not applicable
As a guide, taking off the Go and immediately going on the Rift is jarring as the Go is so much sharper. CA is less on the Rift though.
On the plus side for the Rift the games and experiences are more immersive due to Pc grunt and having hands visually and usage wise plus full 6DoF on HMD and hands.