New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Can’t access iPhone camera roll in Gallery

nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,942 Volunteer Moderator
Has anyone managed to browse their phone camera roll in the Gallery? It says “Phone Unreachable” when I try, and tells me to unlock my phone and open the app, and my camera roll will appear automatically when my phone and Go are connected to the same wifi network.

The app is open, I’m connected to the headset, and both are on my wifi network, but no luck. I’ve tried on two different wifi networks (home and work) with no success.

I tried rebooting the headset, which didn’t help. I also tried logging out of the app, which caused me a good deal of grief—my headset lost connection to my account, and it took a lot of messing around to get it connected again. After a couple reboots it finally came back, but still no camera roll.
i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB

Comments

• TpfitzTpfitz Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    Not yet. Gave up trying. 

Would be be insanely convenient to be able to also TRANSFER files this way too instead of just stream them. 
  • Frank.LeistenFrank.Leisten Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    I’m running at 5ghz WiFi. Go is on the same network as my iPhone X. All is working fine. 
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,779 Valuable Player
    Not working for me with S4.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,942 Volunteer Moderator
    I’m using an iPhone 6 with the latest version of iOS if it’s relevant. Everything went smoothly on initial setup, but I didn’t start off with photo sharing enabled. I tried to switch it on the next day, but so far it hasn’t worked. I might try a factory reset; I haven’t gone there yet just due to the annoyance of having to redownload everything. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,779 Valuable Player
    Could this be something to do with the permissions on the phone ?

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    I don’t see anything on the phone where I can allow it, except the setting in the Oculus app, which is set to Enabled.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2018
    nalex66 said:
    I’m using an iPhone 6 with the latest version of iOS if it’s relevant. Everything went smoothly on initial setup, but I didn’t start off with photo sharing enabled. I tried to switch it on the next day, but so far it hasn’t worked. I might try a factory reset; I haven’t gone there yet just due to the annoyance of having to redownload everything. 
    Hey so I just tried with my old iPhone 6 i had in a drawer (I use the X) now,Iso i tried to replicate your issue by not enabling camera roll access by default, I put on the Go, went to gallery, opened the iPhone app and Camera Roll came up, but said no access. So I glanced down at the phone through the nose slot, enabled access(iphone asked me if thats allowed, the white popup), but still nothing .. no access on the GO, so I clicked out of the Gallery section, back to Home, then I restarted the Oculus app by closing it on the iPhone and starting it again, then went back to Gallery on the GO and it worked.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    NerveGear
    I’m by no means a expert but check your settings out for your photos and Oculus under your settings. I also turned off the optimize for iPhone so I can keep the original size of the photos/videos on phone. I finial got connected to the Go but it took awhile as I had Over 4K of photos and about 135 videos. So I’m in the process of deleting them of my phone and the cloud. Make sure you have a backup somewhere else if you do decide to delete them. Also make sure it shows on your Oculus app that you are connected to Oculus Go. It will show in green connected. On the Oculus App were it says Oculus Go with serial number, Tap that. Hope this helps. 
    edited May 2018
    Huh. I’ve tried closing and opening the app several times without success. I never got a white pop-up on the phone asking if access is allowed after setting it to Enabled. I’ll mess around with it a little more. Maybe if I delete and re-download the app...

@Frank.Leisten yeah, I’m connected to the Go in the phone app. I’ll have another look at my phone and see if I can get that permission dialogue that LZ mentioned. 
    NerveGear
    Oh sorry I’m using a iPhone X on the same 5ghz WiFi as the Go
    NerveGear
    You might want to reboot the Go I believe you double click the power button while you have it on. 
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    nalex66 said:
    Huh. I’ve tried closing and opening the app several times without success. I never got a white pop-up on the phone asking if access is allowed after setting it to Enabled. I’ll mess around with it a little more. Maybe if I delete and re-download the app...

@Frank.Leisten yeah, I’m connected to the Go in the phone app. I’ll have another look at my phone and see if I can get that permission dialogue that LZ mentioned. 
    on Iphone double check in Settings>Privacy>Photos>Oculus

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    edited May 2018
    That looks like just the thing! I’ll check that soon, and I bet that’ll do it.

Edit: checked my phone, Read and Write permission is already turned on. :(
  • GadgetChannelGadgetChannel Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    I had a similar issue with Camera Roll access on my Android phone. It seems the issue is that they don't just need to be connected to the same WiFi network, but the same band. My Oculus Go was connecting to 5 GHz and the phone was connected to 2.4 GHz (both bands has the same SSID on my router). When I forgot the WiFi settings on the phone and reconnected, it connected to the 5 GHz band and I could then access the Camera Roll.
  • chettawanchettawan Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    Android works fine. I'm using Huawei P20 Pro just a little trick you need to unlock the phone before open gallery app then the app will detect the phone and allow you to access camera roll. If you open gallery app first then unlock the phone sometimes it's not work.
    I had hoped that recent app update would make it work, but still can’t access the phone camera roll no matter what I do. I’ll try telling the phone to forget the network and then reconnecting. 
  • clutteredcluttered Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    I'm having this problem too, 5GHz WiFi, both on the same one, in the Oculas app I can click the headset and it says 'connected', on the iPhone (iOS11.4.1 6Splus) it has the camera roll access enabled in the app and photo as read+write in privacy. When I go into Gallery it shows any media server I run, it shows EyeConnect from the EyeTV software but never yet have I seen the iPhones camera roll listed. Tried reboot both, turning everything off and back on in the settings but nothing seems to work.
    Are there other settings that need to be on? I don't have iCloud sharing on for instance.

IF it worked would I be able to copy photos from the Oculus Go to the iPhone that way or am I wasting my time?
    I think it’s just viewing, not copying, but I can’t say for sure as I’ve still never managed to connect to my phone’s camera roll. 
  • clutteredcluttered Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    No, if it's just viewing then I have no interest in it, if I can copy then that would be useful, running up the android transfer thing is just a pain and there is no way on Earth I am connecting any accounts to it. FB used to steal your contacts even if you said no so who knows what they would do with our phones. 

In the UK they are running an ad now saying 'data stealing is bad' or something similar, interestingly, at no point do they actually say they don't do it, just that it is bad...
  • StayPuft83StayPuft83 Posts: 46
    Brain Burst
    I had the same issue and, honestly, just stopped even bothering to try a while back, so I'd be curious if anybody has ever figured out exactly how to be sure it is working.

I will say, I did accidentally get it to work once before. (Accidentally as in I wasn't trying to, I was doing something else). I had opened the app on my phone and connected to the Oculus Go BEFORE actually turning the Go back on and strapping in. That time, it happened to work.

I wasn't interested enough to test that out, though. It's a cool feature but was never a need to have for me, so I hadn't played with it too much. But, maybe try that just to see if at least that works. I think (I forget, but I seem to remember) that I may have had to have the phone still open, as in not on the lock screen.
    I've tried that (linking the phone app and keeping it open before starting the Go), but it has never worked for me. I try again each time there's an app update, but it's always the same. Not a huge deal, but still annoying that it doesn't work like it should.
  • phill.hunt.9phill.hunt.9 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    So I've got the same problem. iPhone 8 running 11.4.Oculus app connected via same network. Camera Roll Access enabled. However can't connect to roll on Oculus Go. I've rebooted the go and the phone several times but no joy. Beginning to think this device is pretty poor in reliability. I've also done a fun filled factory reset. Has anyone found a solution to the problem or should I return this and get daydream?
  • simpleman1967simpleman1967 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    nalex66 said:
    Has anyone managed to browse their phone camera roll in the Gallery? It says “Phone Unreachable” when I try, and tells me to unlock my phone and open the app, and my camera roll will appear automatically when my phone and Go are connected to the same wifi network.

The app is open, I’m connected to the headset, and both are on my wifi network, but no luck. I’ve tried on two different wifi networks (home and work) with no success.

I tried rebooting the headset, which didn’t help. I also tried logging out of the app, which caused me a good deal of grief—my headset lost connection to my account, and it took a lot of messing around to get it connected again. After a couple reboots it finally came back, but still no camera roll.
    I was having the same issues as everyone else... finally found a setting on my wifi router to allow client to client communication. Works now..
  • ZBADWOLFZBADWOLF Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    If all else fails you can use Dropbox 
  • AaronTheYoungAaronTheYoung Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have found that turning the "Camera Roll Access" switch OFF in the Oculus app and then back on while you're in OGo headset will cause this to work.  I was surprised to see it start working, but when I attempted to access my camera roll, it just gave me the three dots (- - -) blinking over and over.  I have big files on my iPhone, so it may take some time to access the whole roll.  I don't have many files, but some big videos.  I got to see the preview tiles of each file, but when I attempted to access it just gave me the three dots (- - -).

More later...
  • robdeezrobdeez Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Where’s the communication from Oculus? I’m using an iPhone X and my Oculus app doesn’t even have a camera roll tab in settings. And despite factory resetting the Go I still get a notice under camera roll in the media app on the Go that says Camera Roll Permission Denied.

I never denied permission, nor does there seem to be any way to un-deny it. #thewayisshut #customerservice #nonexistent 
  • Stuub69Stuub69 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have the exact same issue as robdeez
    edited April 29
    Just had another go at this, and still problems. The phone app now has no switch for camera roll access in the settings menu. At some point something forced an update on my Go (all the menus look different), and now my camera roll shows up in the Gallery app, but it says that access is disabled like the posters above. It tells me to turn on access in the app, but there is no setting for it in the app (iOS, app version 24.0). 

I deleted and reinstalled the app, but still no go. 
  • sprj1970sprj1970 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I’m having the same issue. I have no switch for camera roll access on my Quest. Did you guys try to contact Oculus?
    Last time I looked into this, it seems that the functionality was moved to the "Link to Facebook" section of the app, meaning that you can only access your phone's photos and videos if you have a Facebook account linked to your Oculus account. I don't have a FB account and don't intend to create one, so I left it at that.