New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Go Suggestions Thread / New UserVoice channel for feedback

Comments

• furtinfurtin Posts: 109
    Hiro Protagonist
    Please add a late night “Night Shift“ style modus!

Either make the display dimm even further or better: make the displaycolor warmer and let us choose the intensity and maybe even a predetermined timeframe. Just like on the iPhone. Its great for late night usage!
    "The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."
  • thephuture316thephuture316 Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Would think that using this device in bed when laying down rather than using phones would be a legitimate use case. Few of the video apps provide the ability to place the screen above you forcing you to be in a seated position. I would use oculus tv every night if it had such a feature. Netfix app offers this functionality 
  • beezer420beezer420 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    When streaming to Facebook live, the game audio is very very low or non existent. Why is that? After reviewing my stream, I can hear myself talking with the mic on, but no game audio. It seems the GO uses he mic to pick up the game audio from the built in speakers to the mic. Why isn’t the game audio mixed within the GO digitally, and have a slider bar for the external mic. 

Anyways, that would be a good update for the GO. Some way to balance game audio and voice over so people can enjoy the game
  • CSHSCSHS Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I'd like the ability to remove apps from my library. I know I can uninstall, but when I go to "Not Installed" I'd rather not see apps that I have tried, but didn't like and therefore won't use again.
  • StayPuft83StayPuft83 Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    CSHS said:
    I'd like the ability to remove apps from my library. I know I can uninstall, but when I go to "Not Installed" I'd rather not see apps that I have tried, but didn't like and therefore won't use again.
    I would definitely second this. I want to have both options. There are sometimes apps I tried and didn't like, so I don't care to see those again. However, eventually I am sure I will need to uninstall some apps simply because I need space for new apps. I may uninstall apps I actually like and MAY want to reinstall at some point to use again. So, I do want to retain the "not installed" list, but definitely agree I want to be able to remove apps from it completely if I have no interest in using them again.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,227 Valuable Player
    I agree that's the flaw both with the go in the rift to see all these apps that you don't use I would just love
  • voxelmaniamvoxelmaniam Posts: 130
    Art3mis
    Maybe what is needed is a "Hide this app" check box and a mechanism for showing hidden apps because you never know when that hidden app may suddenly be of interest. :)
    A voxel is a three dimensional pixel!
    Murray Foster
  • Oliver2222Oliver2222 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Oculus go also need a battery clock to see how long you been using it 
  • FailrunnerFailrunner Posts: 187
    Art3mis
    We could use some notifications when an update occurs.
  • StayPuft83StayPuft83 Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    We could use some notifications when an update occurs.
    Yeah, I'd agree with that too. You can easily check the "Updates" section, but if you didn't think to do that you'd otherwise have no idea updates were available. A notification would be nice.
  • TheWerewolfTheWerewolf Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited June 2018
    Love the Go, but a few things that drive me crazy.

1. NOTHING displays 3D photos, which seems like such an obvious thing.

2. No obvious way to connect the Go to Bluetooth headsets

3. A surprising lack of shared experiences where they're kind of obvious - like Oculus Video can put the user into a movie theatre.... but you can't share that space. Here's an idea: in Oculus Rooms, give us a movie theatre room and if everyone in it has the same file on their Go, sync the video playing and let the users chat. Or let them put the file in a shared DropBox folder and the app can download it and play it that way.

3a. Add an SDK component to make sharing spaces and avatars easy so everyone can build them into their apps.

4. Ok.. I get it, this is Oculus Go by Facebook, but not everyone is hooked into FB or wants to be. Make the FB experiences so great I WANT to use them, not by walling things off so I have to. Oculus Rooms is essentially pointless because of this. Oculus TV is almost as useless.

5. There are a LOT of things that you can't do or do easily, that can be done with an existing Android non-VR app. We need a way to run Android apps in a floating window. Yes, it would be clumsy, but it would be doable. Then we'd get a good YouTube app, for example.

6. Speaking of - the Oculus Browser is pretty terrible. It's like going back in time 6 or 7 years. See #5 and Chrome browsers - get Firefox to make a version for Go.

7. The Go isn't tethered.. which means it's also not always going to be near WiFi either. There should be a push for developers to be more conscious of 'offline' use. It also isn't always used standing up. I love the way you can reorient the system if you move around - but there's no provision for 'using while lying on your back'.. which is a common use case.

8. It really, really needs a better controller. I can live with 3dof for the headset.. but a 6dof controller would be insanely useful.

9. The US is not the world. Once you leave the US, most of the Oculus Venue or TV stuff basically vanishes. FB has to work hard on finding content for the rest of the world.. (or again, see #5)

Stepping back, I think part of the problem is that Oculus can't decide what it's trying to be: a VR system, a social environment, a gaming platform, a media player or a Facebook frontend and so kind of sucks at all of those.

My original take was that the Go was going to be the social/media platform powered by Facebook. Which means media shared between friends who coordinate through Facebook. We use FB to get together, set a time and meet up to hang out to watch what we want to watch from where ever we want to get it. FB just can't compete with YouTube for example.

Don't get me wrong - Go is amazing, especially for what is a first gen concept at such a low price - even with all of its shortfalls for a Canadian user I'm still glad I bought it, but it already makes me want more out of it - and a lot of those things are relatively easy to do in theory, limited mainly by arbitrary design decisions.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,073 Valuable Player
    Love the Go, but a few things that drive me crazy.

1. NOTHING displays 3D photos, which seems like such an obvious thing.

2. No obvious way to connect the Go to Bluetooth headsets

3. A surprising lack of shared experiences where they're kind of obvious - like Oculus Video can put the user into a movie theatre.... but you can't share that space. Here's an idea: in Oculus Rooms, give us a movie theatre room and if everyone in it has the same file on their Go, sync the video playing and let the users chat. Or let them put the file in a shared DropBox folder and the app can download it and play it that way.

3a. Add an SDK component to make sharing spaces and avatars easy so everyone can build them into their apps.

4. Ok.. I get it, this is Oculus Go by Facebook, but not everyone is hooked into FB or wants to be. Make the FB experiences so great I WANT to use them, not by walling things off so I have to. Oculus Rooms is essentially pointless because of this. Oculus TV is almost as useless.

5. There are a LOT of things that you can't do or do easily, that can be done with an existing Android non-VR app. We need a way to run Android apps in a floating window. Yes, it would be clumsy, but it would be doable. Then we'd get a good YouTube app, for example.

6. Speaking of - the Oculus Browser is pretty terrible. It's like going back in time 6 or 7 years. See #5 and Chrome browsers - get Firefox to make a version for Go.

7. The Go isn't tethered.. which means it's also not always going to be near WiFi either. There should be a push for developers to be more conscious of 'offline' use. It also isn't always used standing up. I love the way you can reorient the system if you move around - but there's no provision for 'using while lying on your back'.. which is a common use case.

8. It really, really needs a better controller. I can live with 3dof for the headset.. but a 6dof controller would be insanely useful.

9. The US is not the world. Once you leave the US, most of the Oculus Venue or TV stuff basically vanishes. FB has to work hard on finding content for the rest of the world.. (or again, see #5)

Stepping back, I think part of the problem is that Oculus can't decide what it's trying to be: a VR system, a social environment, a gaming platform, a media player or a Facebook frontend and so kind of sucks at all of those.

My original take was that the Go was going to be the social/media platform powered by Facebook. Which means media shared between friends who coordinate through Facebook. We use FB to get together, set a time and meet up to hang out to watch what we want to watch from where ever we want to get it. FB just can't compete with YouTube for example.

Don't get me wrong - Go is amazing, especially for what is a first gen concept at such a low price - even with all of its shortfalls for a Canadian user I'm still glad I bought it, but it already makes me want more out of it - and a lot of those things are relatively easy to do in theory, limited mainly by arbitrary design decisions.
    Agreed 1000000%. Recently tried the Go and wasn’t impressed at all. Sure it looked crisp and clean but everything looked flat compared to the Rift.....like you were in the center of a panaramic picture and that’s all.  The controller is awful and I hate the lack of movement with it.  The foam was uncomfortable as it felt sharper than the rift. 

Not getting one....at least not until the units improved. 
  • Niek030Niek030 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    A lot has already been said: better browser experience, an option to stream to a 2nd screen, kiosk mode... and I have something to add which I haven't read here yet:

- I'd like an option to swipe the words on my keypad. I think I will write faster like that.

- I haven't found the option yet, but I'd like to sort my installed apps in folders

Thanks in advance!
  • Niek030Niek030 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Niek030 said:
    A lot has already been said: better browser experience, an option to stream to a 2nd screen, kiosk mode... and I have something to add which I haven't read here yet:

- I'd like an option to swipe the words on my keypad. I think I will write faster like that.

- I haven't found the option yet, but I'd like to sort my installed apps in folders

Thanks in advance!
    To add something:
    - If i have a browser on a VR device, I'd like the browser to understand different types of VR material. It doesn't.

- Same goes for the gallery. The gallery doesn't automatically understand the 360-photo's I make with my phone camera. Neither does it automatically understand the 360-movie I shot with a theta S. I just see it on a flat screen. BTW it does work with 360 photo's of the theta S, and it does work with the 360-photo's made with streetview.
  • Patrick_EGMPatrick_EGM Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Niek030 said:

Thanks in advance!
    2nd screen and a kiosk/presentation mode would be killer.

I work at an architecture firm and we use the GO for presenting 360 images and video on the go. If you have to share 1 or 2 headsets with a group it's nice to put the headset in a kiosk-mode so the clients can use 1 app and the proximity sensor is disabled
  • RamCellesRamCelles Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Can I get access to settings? Like batery, performance, delete files? And ability to use 2 controlers
  • ajcsinclairajcsinclair Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I wish we could use two Go controllers in each hand. 
  • przecinekprzecinek Posts: 596
    Nexus 6

Picked up Go from Argos just few days ago and been using it quite extensively.

Right now there's no wishlist or even a "Fav" button that would let you keep track of all the apps and games that caught your attention. I think it's a must. Was surprised there's no such thing right now.  

I keep wanting to comment on videos, post something encouraging etc and then realize .. oh wait, it's not possible here. For example, right after I watched this fan made RPO flick. I think it's super important to let creators connect with audience. Do they even know how many people watched their film from inside the Go, can they gauge if it's popular or not? I can't even "like" the videos that I think stand out. This really needs to get addressed. 

So these are my first two issues. There's still a lot of friction - I agree better browser is needed and as Niek suggested some swipe typing mechanism (and an option to pair Bluetooth keyboard - in future I want to be able to get some stuff done in VR, I think resolution is already good enough to do some casual tasks while traveling etc).
  • yesbirdyesbird Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    edited July 2018
    Having Go 2 weeks I would like to say that it is great device which I love - thanks Oculus team !

But some things could be better:

1. Get rid of companion Oculus App and move all functions to internal Go settings.
    2. Create option for Chromatic Aberration Correction in settings (now I am switching it by adb in dev. mode).
    3. Also option for for switching OVR Metric Tool from setting can be useful.
    4. Global anti-aliasing option can help improve quality (not sure if it is possible - now I am set it inside my Unity apps).
    5. Internal file manager can really help to control content and free space.
    6. Pre-install Oculus 360 Photos - great experience - must have by default (video quality much worse, so it can be not on the first place in user's library).
    7. Links to best VR internet content - thematic catalog of resources can really help to get better experience. (I am interesting mostly in architecture and sculpture in 3D, for example).
    8. Youtube video content caching - not every WiFi network allows streaming 4K in real time.
    9. Some mechanics for links exchange between Google Chrome outside of Oculus and internal Oculus browser can really help.

In general - this device is not for end-users now - amount of content is not enough and of low quality.
    It is for enthusiasts of VR that like to play with new unusual toys and write code for it - like me :)  

Thanks in advance !

• inovatorinovator Posts: 2,227 Valuable Player
    edited July 2018
    I appreciate the update that I no longer have to connect the go to the computer to see how much space I have left. 
  • GadgetChannelGadgetChannel Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    A couple of features I would like to see.
    1. A list of storage used per-app, so we can see which apps are using the most storage and either uninstall them or clear their data (see point 2).
    2. The ability to clear data for an app, as in regular Android.

• benleowbenleow Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Please support USB thumbdrive via OTG cable like how every Android phones support it.
    NerveGear
    I know this is retro but I would like it to support a wired Ethernet dongle. Just saying, I have my reasons.
    yes. it is supported. I am using this adapter with OTG cable https://amzn.to/2NVPXtT
    NerveGear
    I'm wondering is it possible to lock certain apps with password? You see, I'm sharing this headset with my family members. I would like to restrict access to certain apps that are link to my Facebook (and other) accounts such as Oculus Room, Facebook 360, Facebook Video, etc...
    Art3mis
    benleow said:
    I know this is retro but I would like it to support a wired Ethernet dongle. Just saying, I have my reasons.
    yes. it is supported. I am using this adapter with OTG cable https://amzn.to/2NVPXtT
    Would you also recommend an OTG cable please?
    Murray Foster
    NerveGear
    edited July 2018
    benleow said:
    I forget where I got it. I think any OTG cable is fine.

You can see the OTG cable I'm using at https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/67732/ethernet-cable-via-xiaomi-usb-to-rj45-ethernet-lan-adapter-works-on-oculus-go
    Art3mis
    benleow said:
    Which OTG cable did you use? Does it also require a power adapter or does it draw power from the Go? I see that there are some Ethernet adapters that have integrated OTG like this one: http://a.co/8F40bto I wonder if that would work also. And then there is the question of will it work with an extension cable so that it isn't hanging down right by your face?
    Murray Foster
    NerveGear
    No power adapter. I think it draws power from the go. I can't say for other products. I only tested the one from xiaomi (the same manufacturer of the go). The cable hanging from the side is fine if you are not moving around too much like watching movies or simply use it to download contents while you are not using it. 
  • ssilwadissilwadi Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    benleow said:
    Please support USB thumbdrive via OTG cable like how every Android phones support it.
    I agree. Support for USB drive via OTG is essential.
  • ssilwadissilwadi Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited July 2018
    benleow said:
    benleow said:
    I forget where I got it. I think any OTG cable is fine.

You can see the OTG cable I'm using at https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/67732/ethernet-cable-via-xiaomi-usb-to-rj45-ethernet-lan-adapter-works-on-oculus-go
    How come the OTG Ethernet cable work but OTG USB drive doesn't?